Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Converting Merged HTML file to Epub/PDF Not Working

I'm not exactly a programmer, so you'll have to excuse me if I sound a little clueless. I'm new to the e-book editing scene.

I've been trying to trip some of the Project Gutenberg stuff from an OOC e-book (Theodore Roosevelt's Autobiography, to be exact). I downloaded it in ASCII format from Gutenberg.

Anyway, I ended up with a folder of thirty-four separate html files. No problem, I download and use Softsnow HTML merger software to combine them after deleting the Gutenberg sections. Now, however, I can't convert this merged file into anything else using Calibre.

It will convert and save three pages, no matter if I try to convert it to epub or PDF.

The merged HTML file is the complete book, why will Calibre only convert and save the first three pages?

EDIT: Honestly, I don't remember how I ended up with a file full of separate HTML files. I tried using GUItenMark, but now it won't work for any form of file, and since I wasn't paying attention at the start I'm only assuming it worked one time and gave me a big folder of separate HTML files.

Last edited by MV64; 06-06-2010 at 05:31 PM.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Hi MV64,

If an ebook is a series of small html files (often 1 file per chapter) then one of them is usually a "top level" file acting as a "table of contents" or "index" which is made up of hyperlinks to the rest of the files.

Look at the names of the html files. Is one of them called something like toc.html or index.html or contents.html?

If so, then all you have to do is drag-drop this top-level file into Calibre. Calibre will find all the constituent html and image files and zip them up into a single zip file. This will save you having to do the manual merge task.

If I haven't explained this very well, then I'd be happy to have a look at the particular Project Gutenberg book if you could post the title and author.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert