Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-17-2009, 12:39 AM   #1
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
RTF formatting question

I started using Times New Roman on the stories I'm reading on my Sony PRS-505 but the text I bold looks super bolded when I transfer it to my device. With Arial I never had this problem. Bolded text looked normal. Does anyone know what causes this?

I do prefer Times New Roman when I don't have spaces between paragraphs...but before I switch back to Arial it would be nice to know if I'm doing something wrong first.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I started using Times New Roman on the stories I'm reading on my Sony PRS-505 but the text I bold looks super bolded when I transfer it to my device. With Arial I never had this problem. Bolded text looked normal. Does anyone know what causes this?

I do prefer Times New Roman when I don't have spaces between paragraphs...but before I switch back to Arial it would be nice to know if I'm doing something wrong first.

I suspect it may be due to actual font size in the RTF. Try putting it in a simple word processor and resetting the font in the whole book to a standard size. (Highlite the whole book and the set a font size (like 12)).
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Are you embedding fonts in them? (Can you embed fonts in an RTF?) If not, then you're just getting the default serif and sans-serif fonts for Times and Arial respectively on your reader. You're not getting Times and Arial.

Part of the problem is that the Sony does not use "true bold" for making bold characters. It just darkens the character in the font as it is. This tends to work better for sans serif fonts than for serif fonts.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I suspect it may be due to actual font size in the RTF. Try putting it in a simple word processor and resetting the font in the whole book to a standard size. (Highlite the whole book and the set a font size (like 12)).
The problem with this solution is that at size 12 font in RTF you can't actually read the font without magnifying it because it shrinks to I think size 7 on the PRS-505.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Are you embedding fonts in them? (Can you embed fonts in an RTF?) If not, then you're just getting the default serif and sans-serif fonts for Times and Arial respectively on your reader. You're not getting Times and Arial.

Part of the problem is that the Sony does not use "true bold" for making bold characters. It just darkens the character in the font as it is. This tends to work better for sans serif fonts than for serif fonts.
I'm not sure if you can embed fonts in Microsoft Word? I just highlight all the text and pick a font type and then the size.

I have noticed the bolded text looks more natural in Arial than Times New Roman. When I create LRF files the bolded font with Times New Roman looks more natural thought, it's just the RTF that looks odd.
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
It's a problem with the default fonts on the Reader, not the Word document. There's no embedding in Word, and the Reader uses its fonts, not the ones in the Word document. (I don't remember if it has two or three fonts; don't know if it has a monospace font.)

This is why I usually make PDFs to read; the fonts are nicer than the default, especially for bold & italics.

There's a procedure for changing the default fonts in the Reader, but I don't think it fixes the bold/italic problem.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
It's a problem with the default fonts on the Reader, not the Word document. There's no embedding in Word, and the Reader uses its fonts, not the ones in the Word document. (I don't remember if it has two or three fonts; don't know if it has a monospace font.)

This is why I usually make PDFs to read; the fonts are nicer than the default, especially for bold & italics.

There's a procedure for changing the default fonts in the Reader, but I don't think it fixes the bold/italic problem.
I was kind of afraid of that answer. I think the simple solution is for now stick with Arial.