Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-10-2009, 03:41 AM   #1
ChrisZA
Enthusiast
ChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone
Stanza/Calibre n00bie

Hi folks,
I'd really appreciate some quick-start tips that I'm battling to solve myself:
  • I want to organise books into categories, both in Calibre and then to have them so organised in Stanza (iPhone). Stanza supports this on the device, but I can't see how to set this in Calibre ('Series' may be the answer?). I have loads of getAbstract biz summaries that I group according to subject
  • I then want to rate books. A rating also indicates I've read it. I can see this capability in Calibre, but not in Stanza.
  • If this is not possible, does nayone have tips on using the book titles to create an org structure?
ChrisZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:50 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The categories on Stanza iPhone equate to the tags set up in Calibre.

Series values set in Calibre do not show up on Stanza.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
ChrisZA
Enthusiast
ChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enough

Thanks intimpi - I had completely overlooked that functionality!

So, anyone got any ideas on how to rate stuff in stanza which would serve a dual-function of tagging the item as read?

POSSIBLY, I'm supposed to add 2 tags; 1 for the type of book, and another for the rating (5*, 4*, etc)??
Then in Stanza I open my 5* 'collection'. But this does not help me go into my 'Globalisation' collection and easily see the 5* books to re-read...
Hope i'm being clear - stanza & calibre are so awesome this feels like it simply must be covered.

Last edited by ChrisZA; 03-10-2009 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:54 AM   #4
ChrisZA
Enthusiast

For the record, here's how calibre/stanza (on iPhone) are working together for me. Thanks to people on mobileread who helped me:
- All books organised, taged and artworked in calibre (Calibre makes this really easy)
- Calibre server (http://myip:8080/stanza) used to open a catalog in iPhone, and download books. They come 1x1, which is tedious, but they come across complete with artwork etc
- Tags in calibre then become subjects in stanza.
- Unfortunately 'series' in calibre do not become 'collections' in stanza.

What's still imperfect is something that may be unique to me; I collect a load of biz book summaries from getAbstract, and organise them into subjects. I also have full books organised into subjects. Ideally I'd like to browse abstracts by subject, and full books by subject. Unfortunately, the collection feature in stanza mixes all the subjects up, and the subject feature mixes the abstract/full collections. Still, this is working out way better than anything I used to have under windows mobile.

Oh yeah, and stanza REALLY needs a rating system; partially so I can see what I have read and what I have not (big issue with abstracts which are time fillers).

Hope this helps someone else get into iPhone mobile reading! Personally, I've been punting eBooks since my Sony p900 in around 2001!