Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-27-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
Hamza
Hamza began at the beginning.

Device: None Yet
New York Times on 505

Hi guys:

I've used libprs500 in the past to get the NYTimes onto my 505 reader, but I've found that it seems to miss articles -- or, not that it misses articles, but only gets the RSS feeds. NYTimes doesn't put all their stuff on RSS. What's often missing is the stuff that's actually on the front page of the times.

I'm considering other ways to get the NYTimes onto my Reader. Are there any other programs you use to get the paper? Alternatively, has anyone had luck with the NYTimes electronic edition? I think it's just a PDF of the paper. How's it look on the Reader? I'm more than happy to pay a little money to get the whole paper on my reader.

I need advice!
Hamza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Since the NYT has a "today's paper" website, creating a profile to download the full paper with libprs500 should be easy. If you can't/wont handle the programming you'll just have to motivate someone to do it for you
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
Hamza

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Since the NYT has a "today's paper" website, creating a profile to download the full paper with libprs500 should be easy. If you can't/wont handle the programming you'll just have to motivate someone to do it for you
Hi Kovid!

There's already an NYTimes script with my version of Libprs... or were you saying there's another part of the paper lib isn't picking up?
Old 02-28-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah but the current script uses RSS to get a list of articles. It can be easily modified to use the Today's Paper section of the website instead.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:51 PM   #5
Hamza

Woah! Hotness -- so you're right! Score 10 for Kovid.

I know nothing about coding or Python, but I'm definitely a quick learner. Can you forward me some resources that can teach me how to best modify the script to grab from Today's Paper?

Teach a man to fish, after all...
Advert
Old 02-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Actually I had a spare 10mins, so I made the modification. The next version will have the new script.

If you want to leanr how to write your own profiles
https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/wiki/UserProfiles
Old 02-28-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
Hamza

You're just incredible. Thanks so much man, really. That's awesome -- if I can ever return the favor, please tell me...
Old 02-29-2008, 06:34 PM   #8
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza View Post
You're just incredible. Thanks so much man, really. That's awesome -- if I can ever return the favor, please tell me...
Maybe you can donate to libprs500 project?
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #9
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
With the new version of libprs500 (4.39) I had trouble with The New York Times News retrieval (Fetch News).

Downloading went fine but when I went to read the NY Times on the Reader the spinning dial appeared, stopped, hung the machine, and then after a pause of a minute or so rebooted itself. Tried it twice with the same result. Other News feeds seem to work OK although I tried only a few of them.

Uninstalled 4.39. Installed 4.38. Removed NY Times feed for 01 March. Re-downloaded NY Times feed for 01 March. This time it ran OK on the Reader.

Did I have a bad download or was there a problem with version 4.39? The Change Page for 4.39 said there was a new profile for the NY Times. Anybody else have this problem?
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm the new version creates a larger LRF file, perhaps it is too large for the reader to handle. On the other hand sometimes, the reader crashes and then it works fine again after the crash. Can you try it once more and let me know.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:53 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Actually it's not that it's too big. It seems to simply be exposing some bug in the readers software. If you save the file to disk and transfer using the sony software, it opens fine on the reader.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I suggest one of you bug SONY about fixing this bug in their software. Send them the LRF file as a test case. The next release of libprs500 will go back to using the old profile.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #13
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I suggest one of you bug SONY about fixing this bug in their software. Send them the LRF file as a test case. The next release of libprs500 will go back to using the old profile.
Thanks, Kovid,
I think I'll keep using 4.38 till 4.40.
Would SONY really pay any attention to me?
Old 03-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Can't hurt to try and since they're close to releasing a new firmware update, this is probably a good time
Old 03-01-2008, 03:14 PM   #15
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
Can't hurt to try and since they're close to releasing a new firmware update, this is probably a good time
Will try it.