Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
Wool in ePub?

I have read some interesting reviews of "Wool" by Hugh Howey. I can't seem to find an ePub version in the usual places - only Amazon editions. Anyone know where I can find this?
--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Wool can be purchased from B&N http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wool...=9781469984209

But in order to read it on your T1, you will need to strip the DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Wool in ePub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
I have read some interesting reviews of "Wool" by Hugh Howey. I can't seem to find an ePub version in the usual places - only Amazon editions. Anyone know where I can find this?
--MH
None of Hugh Howey's books are DRMed, so buy them from Amazon and then convert them to ePubs. Calibre is a good free (open source) software that will convert from .azw to .ePub.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
None of Hugh Howey's books are DRMed, so buy them from Amazon and then convert them to ePubs. Calibre is a good free (open source) software that will convert from .azw to .ePub.
Since there is no DRM, just buy from B&N already in ePub. No need to convert.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
Thanks. I will do that. Off to create B&N account.
--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Eh ???

Quote:

How ?
Please.........

My Calibre tells me it's in a format that Calibre can't handle.

I have visited Alf's and availed myself of the cleaning equipment, incidentally....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post

How ?
Please.........

I have visited Alf's and availed myself of the cleaning equipment, incidentally....
You may need to update your Calibre. If your Calibre is too old and the file you have is a KF8 file, then the old Calibre won't know anything about it. As was said earlier, there is no DRM. So that is not an issue.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I'm always bang up to date with Kovid's latest offers, load 'em as soon as they come out.
Mine doesn't handle .azw ............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I'm always bang up to date with Kovid's latest offers, load 'em as soon as they come out.
.azw is just Mobipocket. Rename it to .mobi.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Calibre Forum's Conversion Sub-Forum

Quote:

How ?
Please.........

Quote:
From what you are saying I'd recommend that you open a thread in the Calibre Forum's Conversion Sub-Forum and ask for help concerning this problem there.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Don't know if it's the same problem, but I was having a problem with the internal viewer and it turned out the azw3 is not turned on by default. I need to be turned on under "Preferences" "Behavior".
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:55 AM   #12
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool a solution

Quote:
So what was the solution to your problem?!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:24 AM   #13
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
None of Hugh Howey's books are DRMed, so buy them from Amazon and then convert them to ePubs.
Glad to know this. I was all set to buy the Omnibus until I saw the horrible formatting in the sample. Now it won't matter whether I have Alf's plugins or not. This certainly changes things.

Last edited by silasgreenback; 07-17-2012 at 02:26 AM.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:20 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by silasgreenback View Post
Glad to know this. I was all set to buy the Omnibus until I saw the horrible formatting in the sample. Now it won't matter whether I have Alf's plugins or not. This certainly changes things.
I took Wool Omnibus in ePub and fixed it up so it looks good. It wasn't hard to do and did not take long. I do agree that before then, it wasn't formatted well.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #15
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since there is no DRM, just buy from B&N already in ePub. No need to convert.
So there's actually publisher producing ebooks in ePub? I didn't know that. So ePubl is not only for free ebooks.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote