Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
stephenwilks
stephenwilks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard Wi-fi 3G
Smile Kindle 3 QR experiments

Having recently decided to explore a little in the realm of QR codes, I have found that the Kindle 3 browser is surprisingly effective at searching for QR codes and displaying them clearly at say a medium size. Screenshots also seem to be a good way of passing these codes to say a PC or laptop. Online QR readers (on a PC or laptop) seem to be capable of creating links from these screenshots. I have also found it quite easy to use an online QR generator on a Kindle 3 - again either displaying the QRs or recording them by screenshots. Some minor image cropping is occasionally necessary, before the QR reader is used on the PC or laptop.

SEND TO KINDLE .pdfs also appear to be an effective way of QR codes to the Kindle 3 for clear display purposes. My next step is to find out whether Kindle 3 displayed QRs can be transferred to say an internet camera phone. My aging digital camera doesn't seem to be able to handle the interference of the Kindle 3 screen. I can imagine that a Kindle might be quite a good way to pass on contact info to one's clients etc. [Said aging digital camera, in super macro shot mode, seems quite capable of recording magazine QRs for PC and laptop reading, with a little judicious trimming and resizing.]

I don't yet have a cameraphone/Iphone or Ipad device, so I will carry some QRs with me on the Kindle 3, in the hope I can get another camera phone user to try them out for me.

I don't realistically suppose it is possible to use a Kindle 3 displayed QR on the machine itself, to browse sites or read other data. And perhaps, almost as unrealistically, I don't suppose it is yet possible to copy & paste URLs into a QR generator on the Kindle 3 itself. Or is it?

Last edited by stephenwilks; 01-15-2012 at 07:36 AM.
stephenwilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:20 AM   #2
stephenwilks
stephenwilks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard Wi-fi 3G
Kindle can

I have since found that my aging digital camera handles the harvest of QR codes with ease - even without closeup super-macro settings.

I have also found that I can capture a QR code (with contact details) off a Kindle 3 screen, using a webcam in average daylight conditions.

In both cases, I cropped the resulting images and resized them to about 230 pixels square. In the latter case, there was obviously some reflection off the screen, and a bit of fuzziness in the webcam image. The contact details were quickly and accurately delivered by the xzing.org online decoder. I also used zxing.org online for QR generation. I have also used qr.net online for code generation.

To avoid contact details being harvested by the unscrupulous, it would obviously be a good idea to have a desktop generator and reader. I found Quickmark crashed on my machine. Probably a .net version issue. Two Firefox add-ons failed to read codes. In any case, perhaps add-ons aren't very secure either.

Anyone out there know some good free QR Code generation/reading desktop software for Windows XP?
stephenwilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert