Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-11-2011, 04:14 AM   #1
Artha
-----
Artha began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung SNE65
Wink Tagging and styles in ePub

I am about to start making my first serious ePub. The author gave me some .doc file and I'm about to apply styles to it (it's all done visually). But I think I can use and abuse the HTML tags instead of creating classes.

For example there is a motto at the begining of each chapter. What would you say about styling it as an address for example, instead of a paragraf class motto? Are there disadvantages to use the markup I don't use?
Artha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:13 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The reading application might not support it. With paragraph classes you are safer.
Also, the visual interpretation of the tags might differ per reading application, giving a non-consistent appearance.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
Artha
-----

You are right. It never crossed my mind, although it's that obvious: with the broken support of today tools, better safe than sorry.

As for the display: it should take all description from the CSS file, no?
Old 11-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
It should.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artha View Post
You are right. It never crossed my mind, although it's that obvious: with the broken support of today tools, better safe than sorry.

As for the display: it should take all description from the CSS file, no?
It might ...

... the style descriptions in the CSS are the lowest priority of all style descriptions in the ePUB. When the same tag or class repeats in the several possible style locations (e.g. a margin set on the <p> tag) the style applied directly to the tag in the (x)html body is the one used.

Priority (in order of highest to lowest):
  • style applied in the tag - <p style="margin-top: 1em;">
  • style placed in the <STYLE></STYLE> section in the (x)HTML file's <HEAD> section
  • style placed in the last CSS file linked to in the <HEAD> section
  • style placed in the first CSS file linked to in the <HEAD> section

If there are no conflicts, the style description in the CSS will be used. provided the reader app supports it. When there are conflicts, the CSS looses out to the higher priority style.

Last edited by dwig; 11-11-2011 at 11:27 AM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
For example there is a motto at the begining of each chapter. What would you say about styling it as an address for example, instead of a paragraf class motto? Are there disadvantages to use the markup I don't use?
If it is not an address, don't call it an address.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
Artha
-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
It might ...

... the style descriptions in the CSS are the lowest priority of all style descriptions in the ePUB. When the same tag or class repeats in the several possible style locations (e.g. a margin set on the <p> tag) the style applied directly to the tag in the (x)html body is the one used.

Priority (in order of highest to lowest):[...]
If there are no conflicts, the style description in the CSS will be used. provided the reader app supports it. When there are conflicts, the CSS looses out to the higher priority style.
Nice to have the list of priorities. But once it's in the CSS, I won't use any inline styles, just for the sake of my sanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
If it is not an address, don't call it an address.
True Mr. Google. Yet, from a typographical standpoint HTML it's such a bad option and ePub seems to be only part implemented just as the browsers don't bother with all the features listed in W3 docs. As I don't have a motto tag I can use a special paragraph class or reuse some other tag already in. Sure, the drones will have issues harvesting relevant info for their masters, but should that concern me?
Old 11-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Most readers use ADE and ADE works with CSS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
Artha
-----

Actually, from what I gather they don't use the same ADE I can download from Adobe.com. It's an ADE API bundled with whatever was thought useful by the hacker employed to build up the system.

I have discovered first hand that ADE can be quite precise on the standards involved (ex. @include must be before everything even comments). But it's functionality is rather spartan: can't find a way to tweak the CSS according to my [the user] needs. Only a zoom function that involves both font and page size.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Actually, from what I gather they don't use the same ADE I can download from Adobe.com. It's an ADE API bundled with whatever was thought useful by the hacker employed to build up the system.

I have discovered first hand that ADE can be quite precise on the standards involved (ex. @include must be before everything even comments). But it's functionality is rather spartan: can't find a way to tweak the CSS according to my [the user] needs. Only a zoom function that involves both font and page size.
Please explain what exactly it is you are trying to do. And if need be, give CSS/XML samples.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote