Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
The 2011 Clarion West Write-a-thon starts... now!

Starting today (19 June) and for the next six weeks (through 29 July) I'll be participating in the Clarion West Write-a-thon.

This year well over a hundred writers are participating, including a quite few well-known names. Each author has set their own goals for the Write-a-thon, and none of the participating authors will see a dime of this money... it all goes to fund the workshop and the various scholarships that make it possible for so many writers to attend.

If you would like to browse the Write-a-thon page, here is the link:

http://www.clarionwest.org/events_page/write_a_thon

... and if you would like to see what I hope to accomplish with the experience, here is a direct link to my page:

http://www.clarionwest.org/events/wr...on/MDavidBlake

Are any other MobileRead members participating? If so, feel free to chime in here!

One more thing: Anyone may post a Write-a-thon link in order to share their own writing goals, or give a progress update, but there can be absolutely NO ASKING FOR DONATIONS.

— M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:49 AM   #2
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After only three days into the 2011 Clarion West Write-a-thon, I already have... a sponsor! Plus I am making progress on a new plot. I might even say I was "hatching" a plot, if I wanted to give a hint about this story. Not that I am ready to give any major hints about this story, or about what might be hatching.

Well, maybe a small hint.

Although I seldom play music when I write, for some reason I always seem to hear music while I am writing. This song is currently stuck in my head:

Quote:
"Here comes Mary, here comes Lee. I'll bet what they want to see...! I won't let them stretch their necks to see my little black egg with the little white specks." — The Nightcrawlers
— M.
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 02:01 AM   #3
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Hey, best of luck with this and indeed, congratulations on the sponsor
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...

The second week of the Write-a-thon is rolling along nicely. "Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup," as John once said.

My personal challenge, however, is to "pen a minimum of three new short stories so that they may be added to my submission queue. (Stories will only be counted as an achievement if they are complete, of at least 3,500 words apiece, and if I deem them worthy of a place in the queue.)"

That parenthetical comment is the kicker. So far, I am reasonably confident that one of the new WIPs will meet all of my requirements, and be added to the queue before the end of July. Some of the other new pieces may make it into the queue, but won't count toward my Write-a-thon goal due to length... and at least one of the new pieces is a (to me) fascinating basis for a longer work, that will require quite a bit of ancillary research; that one will eventually go in the queue, but for practical reasons I'll probably shelve it until after the Write-a-thon is over, so that I don't fall behind.

Part of this evening will go toward brainstorming new ideas...

Are any other MobileRead members participating in a Clarion Write-a-thon this year?

— M.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:37 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The Lounge is for non-ebook discussion. This thread has accordingly been moved out of that forum and to its new location.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The Lounge is for non-ebook discussion. This thread has accordingly been moved out of that forum and to its new location.
Don, I don't object to moving the thread, but I am a little puzzled. How is this an "ebook discussion"?

— M.

Edit: Nevermind... I see that you moved it to "Writers' Corner," which is, admittedly, a much better location.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
So how's this coming along?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:07 AM   #8
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
So how's this coming along?
Quite well, Kenny! I've been spending more time working on writing projects than on forums, for one thing.

The last progress report I received was on 29 June, but at that point Clarion West had already received combined pledges of almost twelve thousand dollars toward the scholarship and resource funds. Admittedly, the support I've brought in is only a small — very small! — fraction of that, but every little bit helps.

There should be another progress report either Thursday or Friday, and there are still another three weeks left in the Write-a-thon.

To make things interesting, if I somehow wind up as the top donation earner (hey, it could happen... right?) I've pledged to send the individual who donates the largest amount a copy of "Absinthe Fish" written entirely by hand, using a fountain pen, in green ink, and on parchment.

Feel free to make wagers about whether or not I'll have to follow through with that....

— M.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:07 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thanks for the update. I've been pursuing my writing bug as well while away from here. Something I need to continue on both fronts.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote