Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Techonology is the best overall?
Reflective LCD 21 26.92%
E-Ink 57 73.08%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #16
Witchbaby
Connoisseur
Witchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Newer revisions of the Kindle firmware don't leave as many artifacts (ghosting) but the pages still flash. The flash is get rid of the ghosting. With my bad eyes I don't find the flash annoying but it's a personal preference and I understand that your preferences are different.

I'm happy that there are many different products available to read ebooks so that everyone should find one that they prefer.
The flash doesn't even bother me a little bit. To me it's the same as turning the page in a pbook.

I agree with TMo2, it's great that there are so many choices. The more people who use readers, the more mainstream ebooks become!
Witchbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #17
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
I have a Jetbook along with the Kindle and the Jetbook suffers from poorer contrast. I find it difficult to read from unless I have bright indirect light. However, I have bad eyes your experience may differ.
Simply untrue. The Jetbook's contrast is rated 12:1 while e-ink has been rated at 8:1. (Please check the wiki for the facts.) The Jetbook has a mirror back so given the same light source it will always be brighter and have more contrast than e-ink. Generally eyes will strain more to see lower contrast.

Also the Jetbook's response time is rated at 20ms which e-ink based devices can only dream of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JetbookVSKindle screen.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	330.9 KB
ID:	49494  

Last edited by akira28; 04-08-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #18
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
And I missed the "reflective" part of the topic - my bad! sorry!
You could have edited your first post with this message instead of leaving it jumping the topic.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #19
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
Jetbook and Jetbook lite both do very well no matter what light you in. From full sun to a tiny led reading light. They remain clear, crisp, and easy to read with little to no eyestrain.

While they may use more battery power, what they don't do is "flash" with every page turn. Also page turns are considerably faster than what I've seen on E-ink.

I actually read comfortably with less light with the Jetbook than I used to need with paper books. Seems the paper tended to absorb and disperse light. While Reflective TFT screen sends it back to your eyes.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:00 PM   #20
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsingh1 View Post
Hi,
Some people claim that Reflective LCD devices such as Aluratek Libre pro & Ectaco jetbook are at par with the e- ink based ones.

Please discuss which technology is better of the two, in terms of strain caused on eyes & page turning capability.
THanks
jetBook screen was discussed here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45593
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 03:29 AM   #21
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
Not all LCD screens are the same.

(and to disclose where I'm coming from - I'm not getting an iPad because a)I want longer battery life on my reader and b)I want an open device not tied to one vendor - but I do want to replace my ebookwise with a technologically more advanced device. I'm hoping the Adam will do what I want/need, as it sounds like it'll provide me with the nearest thing to colour e-ink, without the refresh, and with backlighting as an option)
If you are looking for a replacement for your EB1150 I would suggest the Pocketbook 360, I feel it is very similar to the ergonomics of a EB1150. Its battery life is roughly 3-4 regular length novels. I have both devices and am very happy with them.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:09 PM   #22
kad032000
Connoisseur
kad032000 doesn't litterkad032000 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchbaby View Post
The flash doesn't even bother me a little bit. To me it's the same as turning the page in a pbook.
Ditto.

You lose focus either way. I've never understood why the "flash" would be any more distracting than having to turn a page.
kad032000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #23
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Tradeoffs are unfortunate.
I'd like the LCDs more, but they're a bit low on resolution, and are only integrated with other hardware that I'm not particularly fond of.

Would be nice to get a jetBook screen at 200+ppi mated to a zippier, better-designed device.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #24
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I think they're very close, with the nod going to the jetBook screen. I'm content with my JBL; but if the situation were reversed, and it was the eInk screen that costs half what the other does, I would be content with it instead.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #25
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
Simply untrue. The Jetbook's contrast is rated 12:1 while e-ink has been rated at 8:1. (Please check the wiki for the facts.) The Jetbook has a mirror back so given the same light source it will always be brighter and have more contrast than e-ink. Generally eyes will strain more to see lower contrast.

Also the Jetbook's response time is rated at 20ms which e-ink based devices can only dream of.
Possibly mine is defective but under the same lighting conditions where I do most of my reading the Jetbook has far less contrast. The background is not white as in your picture but a silvery taupe color that is definitely darker than the eInk screens where I read. The text is definitely blacker but the background for me is too dark to provide better contrast than eInk. Plus, there are more annoying reflections.

In very bright light, the Jetbook has about the same contrast as eInk. But I don't normally read in very bright light. Even outside I read in moderate to deep shade.

But I will say that I'd rather read on the Jetbook than on a Palm or an iPod Touch.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:00 AM   #26
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Possibly mine is defective but under the same lighting conditions where I do most of my reading the Jetbook has far less contrast. The background is not white as in your picture but a silvery taupe color that is definitely darker than the eInk screens where I read. The text is definitely blacker but the background for me is too dark to provide better contrast than eInk. Plus, there are more annoying reflections.

In very bright light, the Jetbook has about the same contrast as eInk. But I don't normally read in very bright light. Even outside I read in moderate to deep shade.

But I will say that I'd rather read on the Jetbook than on a Palm or an iPod Touch.
I think something wrong with your unit...
jetBook vs Kindle screen:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=98
Old 04-10-2010, 01:02 AM   #27
Kris777
Banned

double

Last edited by Kris777; 04-10-2010 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:03 AM   #28
Kris777
Banned

double

Last edited by Kris777; 04-10-2010 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:44 AM   #29
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I guess those reflective LCD screens are ok. But with the new e-ink units page turns are very fast already and you get 20 times the battery life. So I really don't see the point! The only possible use for me would be when I am sitting in a dark area and cannot turn any lights on, like on a bus at night. But in that case I can still read on my phone. Once I turn the backlight on the only halfway comfortable setting is white text, black background. And that looks just awful on a bigger screen, anyway.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #30
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I guess those reflective LCD screens are ok. But with the new e-ink units page turns are very fast already and you get 20 times the battery life. So I really don't see the point! The only possible use for me would be when I am sitting in a dark area and cannot turn any lights on, like on a bus at night. But in that case I can still read on my phone. Once I turn the backlight on the only halfway comfortable setting is white text, black background. And that looks just awful on a bigger screen, anyway.
The point is that no matter how fast slow e-ink screens can change it will always be many times slower than LCD. They will always flash to a disturbing black and with the last page remnants (at least from what I have observed with the Sonys, Kindles, and Nooks). They will have lower contrast in every lighting situation.

The battery life is not relavant since it is dependent on the manufacturers design incorporating the said LCD which is not the subject here. But the only current devices using this reflective screen are the Jetbook (Aluratek), rated at 20 hours continuous use (how many people really need more?), and the Jetbook lite, which has replaceable batteries and, assuming access to them, could extend usage beyond even the longest e-inker.

I agree with you about reading in the dark. I also think I'd rather read on my iTouch than deal with an attached light on my Jetbook.

Last edited by akira28; 04-10-2010 at 09:33 AM.