Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #16
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
"Of course, any person with a brain the IQ of 80 or more would understand that!"

It is rather dumb to cause such a mess for your customers assuming that the competition doesn't have 400$ to get their hands on your holly software. " of course any person.... would realize that"

On the other hand, this all secrecy and complications serve the competition just perfect. While others make the sources for their OS and for their apps public ...Ectaco goes the other way around with Windows CE as OS :-))

PS: focus on the issue, let the IQ of the others alone, prove that way that you are smart

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 03-04-2012 at 08:57 PM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #17
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
"Of course, any person with a brain the IQ of 80 or more would understand that!"

It is rather dumb to cause such a mess for your customers assuming that the competition doesn't have 400$ to get their hands on your holly software. " of course any person.... would realize that"

On the other hand, this all secrecy and complications serve the competition just perfect. While others make the sources for their OS and for their apps public ...Ectaco goes the other way around with Windows CE as OS :-))

PS: focus on the issue, let the IQ of the others alone, prove that way that you are smart
I dont know why they did WinCE 6.0, unless they were extremely familiar with it

From Freescale.com, the i.MX508 processor that they're using has android and ubuntu BSP (search for "Board Support Packages". There is a "WinCE 6.0 BSP" link, but it goes to another site, and as far as I can search, that site doesn't have a MX508 WinCE 6.0 BSP. There are MX51/MX53 WinCE 6.0 BSPs though, but they have slightly different features, unsure if its totally compatible... im testing)

the i.MX50 software tools has android gingerbreard and linux, but no win ce 6.0. (if you look at the i.MX233 software tools, WinCE 6.0 is listed.... so freescale doesn't have a (public) WinCE 6.0 build for the processor... yet ectaco decided to build their own?

Last edited by paperwastage; 03-04-2012 at 09:42 PM.
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #18
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
I dont know why they did WinCE 6.0, unless they were extremely familiar with it

From Freescale.com, the i.MX508 processor that they're using has android and ubuntu BSP (search for "Board Support Packages". There is a "WinCE 6.0 BSP" link, but it goes to another site, and as far as I can search, that site doesn't have a MX508 WinCE 6.0 BSP. There are MX51/MX53 WinCE 6.0 BSPs though, but they have slightly different features, unsure if its totally compatible... im testing)

the i.MX50 software tools has android gingerbreard and linux, but no win ce 6.0. (if you look at the i.MX233 software tools, WinCE 6.0 is listed.... so freescale doesn't have a (public) WinCE 6.0 build for the processor... yet ectaco decided to build their own?
You may notice that Ectaco has a wide base in palmtop, translator devices, etc... based on Win CE. My estimation is they have been working with the product for decades. WinCE proves easier programming (when starting from scratch) than any other windows after that.
It was also one of the first stable mobile operating systems at the time.
Switching over to Linux would force them to let go of some programmers, and hire those who are more familiar with the other operating system.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #19
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
You may notice that Ectaco has a wide base in palmtop, translator devices, etc... based on Win CE. My estimation is they have been working with the product for decades. WinCE proves easier programming (when starting from scratch) than any other windows after that.
Switching over to Linux would force them to let go of some programmers, and hire those who are more familiar with the other operating system.
yeah, that was my guess that they were really really familiar with it

I'm trying to see if I can play around with WinCE 6.0...
Old 03-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #20
paperwastage
Groupie

Quote:
but then the Jetbook firmwares that I've looked at were linux based.... so................
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #21
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know why their choice of Windows neither.
Linux has better power saving feats, Windows ce has more compatibility and a wider variety of program support.

The original jetbook series software does have some kinks in them.
I love the mini-series, as they consume virtually no battery, but I'm sure once adding pen support and an audio chip, as well as expanding the OS with a variety of programs, they will start consuming more...

Also their jetbook series have nothing out of the ordinary, but an ebook reader, audio player, and picture viewer.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #22
paperwastage
Groupie

Quote:
I don't know why their choice of Windows neither.
Linux has better power saving feats, Windows ce has more compatibility and a wider variety of program support.

The original jetbook series software does have some kinks in them.
I love the mini-series, as they consume virtually no battery, but I'm sure once adding pen support and an audio chip, as well as expanding the OS with a variety of programs, they will start consuming more...

Also their jetbook series have nothing out of the ordinary, but an ebook reader, audio player, and picture viewer.
Windows CE does have more compatibility/wider variety of program support (and stuff/features that you can easily remove, like ActiveSync), but I assume that ectaco is writing most stuff from scratch (Besides adding in 3rd party TTS engines, Adobe PDF Digital Editions)

Tried decoding the OS bin files... they aren't of standard Windows CE 6.0 packaged boot / firmware .... guess next step is to open the device up and see if JTAG works, or if they were kind/nice and used an internal microSDHC to provide storage (like the Dell Streak 5)

Last edited by paperwastage; 03-05-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #23
ProDigit
Karmaniac

You could always try to see which linux version would likely work on the device, and install that one. Then plug in a USB hub, and pray that it will accept USB keyboard and mouse.
I don't think the stylus will work out of the box. The rest should.

If nothing works, just re-install the original FW file.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:34 AM   #24
paperwastage
Groupie

Quote:
You could always try to see which linux version would likely work on the device, and install that one. Then plug in a USB hub, and pray that it will accept USB keyboard and mouse.
I don't think the stylus will work out of the box. The rest should.

If nothing works, just re-install the original FW file.
unfortunately, it's not that easy....

the way that the installed firmware accepts updates... looks like on boot, it checks for those "jbcupdate.bin" files, extracts files from it then replaces the installed firmware with new firmware

^ since I still don't know how to read those files, i can't just place some WinCE 6.0 or linux firmware as jbcupdate.bin and expect the firmware to install it correctly... might even brick my device

a) either I can find some bug / crash the main screen to drop down to the WinCE 6.0 desktop, and find out more info about the system... or some bug to load/start WinCE 6.0 binaries copied to the memory card
b) find out how the firmwares are packaged <- might be a whole lot of digging / hexediting... or if ectaco simply tells me how they package it... prolly won't happen
c) JTAG debugging to find out more info about the software on the device
Old 03-06-2012, 01:58 AM   #25
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Yeah, I should have worded it a little softer, but quite often Linux comes with it's own installer. once you remove (or replace) the internal memory, it reverts to external memory, reads from SD card, and loads the standard installer of Linux (if the partition is bootable).

I would neither try the procedure myself, at least not on a $500 device; more likely on a $50 device.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #26
ProDigit
Karmaniac

They just sent an official mail,
here's the link:
http://www.jetbook.net/update/

copy of the mail (minus pictures and links):
Code:
Hi! 
The time has come and we know you are all excited about it - here is the March 1st update and what it entails. 

Enjoy, and below some of the cool new features: 

New Localizations and Language Menus: Russian
Ukrainian
German
Japanese
   English
Spanish
Portuguese

Other Features and Functions: 

Workbook Scribbling, underlining and freehand writing on PDF and DJVU files 
Objects of art and Music notes moved to user accessible area 
DJVU support in reader 
CPen support 
Reader: double click on top and bottom arrows to jump pages 
TTS (Text to Speech) function activated 
Crossword ESC fix 
Reflow mode in Reader for PDFs 
HW keys for Language Teacher microphone (long press activates recording) 
LEFE and Let's Talk American books into Classwork and Homework section (Russian JBC only) 
Other minor bug fixes 
Single click with stylus to open books and menu options 
Click here to download the latest update for your jetBook Color. *IMPORTANT NOTE* - Make sure to backup all your books to your computer as they may be deleted when the update is initiated. You will then be able to reload them to the device after. 

Best regards,
Ectaco, Inc.
sales@ectaco.com
www.ectaco.com

Follow Us On Twitter! 
http://twitter.com/Ectaco