Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > EPUBReader

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
The Case of the Disappearing Cursor...

Hi:

I use EpubReader as an adjunct to my ebook production for my author clients. I create the books in Sigil; export the epubs, and my clients review the epub in FF's EpubReader addon, which is the best thing since sliced bread. They review the "first draft" epubs, and send me changes or proofing fixes by using select, copy (in EPubReader) and paste (into an email), which makes s&r functions easy.

However: I have a client with a bizarre problem. She's used this process successfully on two books. On her third, suddenly, today, her cursor has "disappeared" inside EPubReader. The cursor arrow shows up in the active TOC side; it shows up in the reader whitespace--but when she tries to place her I-cursor in the actual text of the chapter itself, the cursor disappears. No I-cursor to be found. Zip, zein, zilch.

I had her try everything; she sent me the email she was working on; she closed FF; we re-opened FF & the EpubCatalog; we re-opened the file; nothing has worked.

Has anyone run into this? Does the developer have any ideas? She's very non-techie and a thousand miles away, so I can't just run over there and try a re-install in case it's something gone bonkers with FF. She's able to open other websites, etc., and have cursor in other tabs in the same browser window without any problem.

Thoughts, anyone?

Thx,

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:42 AM   #2
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I have a client with a bizarre problem. She's used this process successfully on two books. On her third, suddenly, today, her cursor has "disappeared" inside EPubReader. The cursor arrow shows up in the active TOC side; it shows up in the reader whitespace--but when she tries to place her I-cursor in the actual text of the chapter itself, the cursor disappears.
Hi Hitch,

does the cursor reappear if she opens one of the other books? If so, it has something to do with the content of this specific book where the problem occurs.

I assume that your client runs into a Firefox bug. To verify this, she should disable EPUBReader and load the content page directly into Firefox using "File/File Open".

Michael
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi, @Mikelv: I don't know if it happens in other books, I'll ask her. She normally just uses file open for her books and they open in FF; I had her go through epubreader to test the cursor issue.

Frankly, I assumed that--since she shuts her computer down nightly--it would be resolved today, as so many things are vis-a-vis reboot. I'll find out, but she hasn't emailed me to say it's fixed, which she normally does.

UPDATE: Rebooting did nothing. The cursor is invisible in every book. I poked around at Mozilla, and they say it's EpubReader, not FF. So now I'm caught in that lovely conundrum; they say it's EpubReader, EpubReader says it's FF. Terrific.

Anyone have any other desktop EReaders that are fairly easy to side-load?

TIA,

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 09-01-2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Update
Old 09-02-2010, 04:25 AM   #4
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
UPDATE: Rebooting did nothing. The cursor is invisible in every book. I poked around at Mozilla, and they say it's EpubReader, not FF. So now I'm caught in that lovely conundrum; they say it's EpubReader, EpubReader says it's FF. Terrific.
That's the reason why I wrote your client should disable EPUBReader to check if the problem is caused by EPUBReader or not . When EPUBReader is disabled, she should load a content page directly into Firefox using "File/File open". To do so, she has to unzip the epub manually and load the page.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelv View Post
That's the reason why I wrote your client should disable EPUBReader to check if the problem is caused by EPUBReader or not . When EPUBReader is disabled, she should load a content page directly into Firefox using "File/File open". To do so, she has to unzip the epub manually and load the page.
Mikelv:

I appreciate your advice, I genuinely do; but this client had to have a tech guy come out to her house to "install" FF and EPUBReader for her. She doesn't know to how unzip an epub or any other file. She doesn't know how to "disable" EpubReader. She doesn't know what a browser TAB is, FWIW. (I'm not making that up). Her "tech guy" was supposed to call me today but I haven't heard from him yet; I'll relay your instructions to him. As I said--she's a thousand miles away from me so I have no ability to do this for her, other than using something like "Instant Housecall," and I admit I'm a little trepidatious about that idea.

I could, however, send her an xhtml file/chapter and tell her to open it in FF...but I doubt she could figure out how to disable EPUBReader. Drat.

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 09-03-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Mikelv:

I appreciate your advice, I genuinely do; but this client had to have a tech guy come out to her house to "install" FF and EPUBReader for her. She doesn't know to how unzip an epub or any other file. She doesn't know how to "disable" EpubReader. She doesn't know what a browser TAB is, FWIW. (I'm not making that up). Her "tech guy" was supposed to call me today but I haven't heard from him yet; I'll relay your instructions to him. As I said--she's a thousand miles away from me so I have no ability to do this for her, other than using something like "Instant Housecall," and I admit I'm a little trepidatious about that idea.

I could, however, send her an xhtml file/chapter and tell her to open it in FF...but I doubt she could figure out how to disable EPUBReader. Drat.

Hitch
Might not have to disable EPUBReader. It is not used for an html file so she could still perform the test.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:06 AM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Might not have to disable EPUBReader. It is not used for an html file so she could still perform the test.

Dale
Don't know; I'll defer to Mikelv's thoughts on this. I get a limited window of opportunity to try/suggest troubleshooting, based upon how long the "tech guy" is at her house, so I want to be hyper-efficient.

@Mikelv? Your thoughts?

Hitch
Old 09-07-2010, 04:13 AM   #8
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Probably Dale is right, but I want to make 100% sure that EPUBReader can't have any influence. The standard procedure for this is to disable the add-on. This is the same advice you have got in the mozilla support forum (start in safe-mode).

In the mozilla support forum you have got a second advice to create a new Firefox profile because the old one could be corrupted. Did the IT guy already try this? As stated earlier, I assume that the problem is caused by Firefox and I guess that this is probably the only solution to solve it.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:20 AM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

mikelv: The IT guy uninstalled and reinstalled both FF and EPR twice, and tried everything on this thread (I sent it to him) and the Mozilla thread. Nothing has worked. I've resorted to sending the client a pdf I made with Calibre of the Epub for proofing; it will work okay for her purposes, altho I wish I knew what had caused it, in case it pops up again (heavens forfend) from another client. If I learn more, I'll let you know.

Thank you all; sorry I didn't have better access to the system for detailed info. She has a newer box, <1 year old, so it's not a memory issue, which I'd first thought might be a possibility. No idea what it could be!

Thanks again,

Hitch

Tags
cursor, disappearing, epubreader, firefox