Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
jasonau
jasonau began at the beginning.

Device: ez reader
Pdb compatability on new ez reader pro

I recently got an ez reader, and the back said that it supported pdb files. However, I have uploaded some which i have downloaded and they are not being displayed in the directories after trasnfer.

Anyone else face this problem?

Thanks.

edit: i mean pdb

Last edited by jasonau; 12-23-2009 at 07:00 PM.
jasonau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I don't see that on their support list.

I see .pdb or .epub... but I don't see .edb.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
jasonau

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't see that on their support list.

I see .pdb or .epub... but I don't see .edb.

BOb
i mean pdb.

they just aren't showing up on the directory when i turn it on. however, the pre-installed pdbs that the company uploaded can be read. The ones i have downloaded, which i tried various sources, do not seem to be detected.

pdfs, djvus, etc... appear on the list.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
pdb(sic, I thought you meant pdf's... ignore this post)
definitely show up on the PP. That is the main type I used, created myself with my word processor.

however, if you are downloading DRM'd pdb without going though the proper procedures, i.e., Adobe DE and sychronizing it, I think they do not show up. I am not sure on this as I do not use DRM'd books at all and I don't have Adobe DE on my computer.

Good Luck.

Last edited by AJ Starr; 12-23-2009 at 07:51 PM.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Welcome Jasonau

I just transferred a pdb to my Pocket Pro and it definitely opens. Please confirm you are using the 5" EZReader Pocket Pro.

Are you using an SD card? If so did you transfer the file to the card or to the internal memory of the reader?
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
jasonau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
Welcome Jasonau

I just transferred a pdb to my Pocket Pro and it definitely opens. Please confirm you are using the 5" EZReader Pocket Pro.

Are you using an SD card? If so did you transfer the file to the card or to the internal memory of the reader?

i am using the 5" ezreader pocket pro. this is what i did. i downloaded pdb file. hooked up the usb wire, and then trasnfered it to the provided sd card.

i transfered it into the same place that i trasnfered my pdfs, and the pdfs worked.

Thanks guys.

edit:

for examples. pdbs from this website. i just serached free pdb ebook download on google.ca

http://www.chuggnutt.com/ebooks.php

Last edited by jasonau; 12-23-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I downloaded "ownzored" the first one in the list from that website you mentioned. I put it in the reader and it did not show up for me either. So it isn't unique to your reader. I can transfer other pdbs not from that site though. It seems to be something to do with the files from that particular site. Only after converting this file to another format (epub) could I see it in the reader and open it.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:24 PM   #8
Javed
Grand Sorcerer

I think get some pdbs from somewhere else to try. The PP does open pdbs, just not the ones you tried, which is suprising considering the site says a lot of that is from Gutenberg (should be no drm). Or alternatively you can convert the ones from that site to another format with a free program called Calibre.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Do you have the most recent version of the firmware on the device? I think that .pdb support was a fairly recent addition.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:54 PM   #10
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The sample PDB files on the device are PalmDoc files. The from from the link mentioned earlier are eReader PDBs. PDB is a container format (think ZIP file) that can have a large number of formats inside of it. It is my understanding that the EZReader PP does not support eReader PDB files. It only support PalmDoc PDB files. I RobertB is around clarification on what types of PDB's the device supports would be welcome.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #11
jasonau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
I think get some pdbs from somewhere else to try. The PP does open pdbs, just not the ones you tried, which is suprising considering the site says a lot of that is from Gutenberg (should be no drm). Or alternatively you can convert the ones from that site to another format with a free program called Calibre.
alright. thanks.

and thanks to everyone else who responded.

also, can the ez reader read the isolo pdb format?

i'm an avid church goer, and i would like to combine the countless books into 1 source.

would something like this:

https://secure.lsm.org/RecVer/ERV.cfm

work on the ez-reader or is that the ebook filetype and not the palm file type.

also, will future firmware support it? (btw, to anyone who was curious, i just got it yesterday (shipped over) and it wouldn't install hte latest firmware because i think it is up to date already)

Last edited by jasonau; 12-23-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:24 AM   #12
Javed
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonau View Post
i'm an avid church goer, and i would like to combine the countless books into 1 source.
would something like this:
https://secure.lsm.org/RecVer/ERV.cfm
work on the ez-reader or is that the ebook filetype and not the palm file type.
also, will future firmware support it? (btw, to anyone who was curious, i just got it yesterday (shipped over) and it wouldn't install hte latest firmware because i think it is up to date already)
@Jason
I looked at the link. It seems to me that this would not even be in an accessible pdb format for the reader. Looks like you need a program called iSolo to be able to access the files. It says that that uses an iSiloX/iSiloXC .ixl file which is in xml format which is gui based. The Pocket Pro can not read ixl files.

From what I read here about iSolo, with the gui, this is for pda devices that have an operating system such as android, windows ce, etc. to interact with the program within the device.
Quote:
.ixl is the file extension convention for a conversion list file. A conversion list file is a file in XML format that holds document conversion specifications for iSiloX and iSiloXC, the GUI-based and command-line iSilo™ converters, respectively.
Firmware updating at this stage will not give you access to these files. However, it is my recommendation to update to the November Astak firmware (091105astak) from here. (Personally I find the December one buggy). This gives the reader important updates regarding battery life. I wouldn't take it for granted that a particular version is installed. You can see what firmware you already have now in the reader by pressing the "menu/ok" key, then "6 settings", then "4 about"; the firmware version is listed on the second line of data. If it says V2.10ASTAK.091104 then this is already the November update. You say you tried to install firmware and it wouldn't do it; reflashing should always be possible. The PP can even reinstall the same one it already has or revert to earlier versions. I think perhaps a step might have been missed when you tried this possibly.

By the way, Congratulations on receiving your new Pocket Pro! It is a great reader. You are most welcome here in this forum. There are usually good, helpful folks around here if you have any questions or comments.

There is a page with lots of links for free ebooks here in the MR wiki, some of which perhaps may be of interest to you.

Last edited by Javed; 12-24-2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: accessible
Old 12-24-2009, 05:23 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonau View Post
The only PDB ebook format that the Pocket Pro supports is PalmDOC. For eReader PDBs, it is possible to strip the DRM (if any) using ereader2html.py, and then format shift using Calibre (e.g to ePub, or MOBI or FB2). For iSilo, so far as I know the only programs that read these are those provided by iSilo. So your only option is to find the same documents in another format.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
As has been mentioned PDB is a palm data base (hence pdb) format for lots of files on the Palm. Please read the wiki article PDB and the article PalmDOC for details. EZ Readers only read PalmDOC so far.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:25 PM   #15
jasonau

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
As has been mentioned PDB is a palm data base (hence pdb) format for lots of files on the Palm. Please read the wiki article PDB and the article PalmDOC for details. EZ Readers only read PalmDOC so far.

Dale
Thank you all of you. I karma'd with appreciation.

also. javed your post was very helpful. That website helped me update it. I was wondering what i was doing wrong with the official website's instructions haha

Last edited by jasonau; 12-27-2009 at 11:37 PM.