Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Problem with author notification in Sony Bookstore

Awhile back, the Sony bookstore added an author notification function. It lets you choose an author and the user would be notified by e-mail if that author had any new books added to the bookstore.

I was wondering if the author notification works for those who use the Sony Bookstore (probably a very limited few). It use to work for me but the function has stopped working about 3 or so months ago. I no longer see anywhere in the bookstore where I can choose an author to add to my list.

Also, when I go to my account to manage these notifications it acts like I don't have any authors on my notification list and that I need to add them first before I can manage them. I know I had added some before it stopped working but even if I want to re-add them now, I can't find where to do it.

I know I should ask Sony Support but thought I'd ask here too.

Thanks!
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I signed up for it months ago and never got any emails, until I finally got one last week. I have a feeling they are still getting the kinks out.

I just checked mine, if you click "My account", you'll see "Author Notifications" under the newsletters area. Click that to manage it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
It took me a few minutes to find the option to add an author because it's buried. While viewing a book by the author, go into the Author Info tab. The "Notify me of newly added titles by this author" is located there.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Oh I just realized that I have not downloaded the newest update for the eBook library, so if you still can't see it under "My Account," that is probably why.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
I'm at 2.5.00.09170.

The Author Notifications option under My Account only allows you to delete an author from your list. I don't see a way to add an author there. One annoyance is that the authors in that list are not hyperlinked. You can't click on the name and go to a list of their current available books.

Another issue that may impact author notifications is the author's names themselves. I discovered that there's one entry from Guy Gavriel Kay and one for Gavriel Kay. If you signed up for notifications for Gavriel Kay, then you won't get a notification when a new book is added under the author's real name Guy Gavriel Kay. Very annoying. Similarly, there's one entry for S.M. Stirling and one for S. M. Stirling (space between initials).

I very rarely use the ebookstore so these are things that I've discovered in just the past week. I've e-mailed Sony but have received no response yet.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
It took me a few minutes to find the option to add an author because it's buried. While viewing a book by the author, go into the Author Info tab. The "Notify me of newly added titles by this author" is located there.

Dreamer
Thanks for the tip. I was trying to add an author notification today, too, but couldn't find how to do it. The prompt sends you to "My Account" but it isn't there.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:34 PM   #7
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Interesting.... the day after I posted this, it's working again after months of it not working. I guess they finally worked out the kinks. Thanks again!
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Interesting.... the day after I posted this, it's working again after months of it not working. I guess they finally worked out the kinks. Thanks again!
Good to know. I kind of forgot about it after I never got any emails. I'll add some new authors now.