Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
TheHeartlessHero
Custom Icon Creator
TheHeartlessHero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TheHeartlessHero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TheHeartlessHero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
The Official Backlight & Cover

Has anyone seen this? I have no idea when it came out but I saw it at Target and it is on sale at SonyStyle and Amazon as well. It's a new cover for the prs-505 and has a backlight which is says can last 38 hours on 2 AAA batteries.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen this and opinions on it. It's $69.99 retail.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665480080

EDIT
I just noticed there were some threads on this under Accessories. That'll show me not to search. This post can be deleted if necessary.

Last edited by TheHeartlessHero; 09-20-2008 at 12:48 PM.
TheHeartlessHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Well, other than it's a frontlight and not a backlight, it's still pretty cool. I showed my hubby the one in Target last weekend and told him he should buy it for me for Christmas.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
These have been out for a month or so. Saw one at the Sony Style store back in August. Pretty cool
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:41 PM   #4
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
As Elsi noted, it sits on the front of the screen. Works very well, imo, and though some have found the bright frame distracting, I haven't. (Check some of the other threads on this for mods, etc.)

I almost always use it on the low setting and love the even lighting. No glare and no eye strain - very nice!
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #5
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
You can fix the bright frame by covering it with strips of duct tape. Works very well, looks horrible.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2008, 08:06 PM   #6
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26776

That thread contains pictures of it in use and impressions from various forum members who have tried it. Overall their impressions are positive.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:13 PM   #7
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
I have this cover/backlight.

The plus is that the LED panel doubles as a screen protector.

The minus is that it does add weight and size, which to me is pretty noticeable. The unit is not as comfortable to hold in one hand for long periods of time, you must switch hands due to some fatigue.

Also Sony should have made the cover much like the deluxe cover which I also own. The deluxe cover have pockets in the back for memory cards, business cards, etc. I bought the deluxe cover and the sony optional light before Sony integrated the the cover with the light. At that time the total cost came to about $60.00 after shipping.

I now into optional covers for about $120 and I'm sure that sony will come out with another Deluxe cover with the integrated light. I should have probably have waited for that cover but oh well.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeartlessHero View Post
Has anyone seen this? I have no idea when it came out but I saw it at Target and it is on sale at SonyStyle and Amazon as well. It's a new cover for the prs-505 and has a backlight which is says can last 38 hours on 2 AAA batteries.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen this and opinions on it. It's $69.99 retail.
My Target had it at a slight discount - $64.99. I thought (and still think) it's overpriced, but...

...I'm one of the thousands of people in Ohio who was without power for days after the storms last weekend. I couldn't stand not reading (I've loaned my eBookwise to a friend, so I didn't have that available, and the battery on the PDA didn't last very long!), so I hit Target and bought the cover and light anyway.

It was a sanity saver!

As one of the other posters mentioned, leaving it on the lower setting was fine. The light is plenty bright enough. I will say that it's a little uneven in its lighting, which I noticed for maybe the first 5 minutes I was reading, but it wasn't overly distracting and I quickly forgot about it as I read.

It would be a great holiday or birthday gift for anyone who might want to read the Sony PRS505 in darker conditions.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:42 AM   #9
C6REW
Connoisseur
C6REW has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1
Hi All,

Ordered mine from Waterstones UK and it has shipped but not arrived. Really looking forward to it's arrival as I read a lot at night.

Currently use a clip on light which I have to point away from my Wife so she does not get annoyed. Now that does give variations in light, but is bright enough to not be a problem.

Regards

Chris
C6REW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:18 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckeedoug View Post
I have this cover/backlight.
Please note that it is not a "backlight" but a "frontlight". eInk screens are opaque and hence cannot be backlit.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:31 AM   #11
C6REW
Connoisseur
C6REW has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1
Hi Harry,

Just words to those who are not of a technical nature. To me the screen is a positive image reflective surface but hey who cares

Best regards

Chris
C6REW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:48 AM   #12
Muskrat
Enthusiast
Muskrat began at the beginning.

Device: prs500
Could this be used for my PRS500? I've tried umpteen reading light solutions but none of them have really worked comfortably. I would love one of these but don't want to upgrade if I don't have to. Has anyone tried "adapting" this light in some way? Or have an idea if this might be possible?
Muskrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:52 AM   #13
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
The Sony website is pretty specific that it is only for the PRS505. With that said, however, I'm sorely tempted to buy one and see if it can be adapted.

The 500 is thicker than the 505 so the hinge for the light may simply be too small to work with the 500.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:02 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Covers attach to the 505 in a different way to the 500, and the screen is in a different position relative to the casing; I very much doubt that it could be made to fit.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #15
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
Could this be used for my PRS500? I've tried umpteen reading light solutions but none of them have really worked comfortably. I would love one of these but don't want to upgrade if I don't have to. Has anyone tried "adapting" this light in some way? Or have an idea if this might be possible?
Have you tried the Bug Light or the Verilux book light? both are good lights according to comments from people in the accessory board
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote