Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-16-2014, 04:34 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't see any change in battery life. I use my Retina Mini for a combination of web browsing and reading. The Usage screen in "Settings" is currently showing that I've used it for 5h 20m since the last charge, and the battery is at 68%. I consistently find with my usage pattern that I get a little under 2h usage for each 10% of battery charge. That's with WiFi on, and Bluetooth off.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:05 AM   #62
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I'm wondering if I should update my first gen ipad mini to IOS 7.1. It's still on 6. Any thoughts?
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2014, 07:48 AM   #63
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I'm wondering if I should update my first gen ipad mini to IOS 7.1. It's still on 6. Any thoughts?
Experience shows, with each big update you loose more and more compatibility.

My iPod touch, about 4 years old, is barely usable anymore. I can't update, I can't download/use 90% of all new games...

So, in my experience, the real question is not so much "are there any new features worth updating?". The more important question is "when will I loose access to most features and apps, without updating any further?".

Meaning: I certainly would make the update. In the worst case scenario, it might be the last update you're able to make...

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-16-2014 at 07:50 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:22 AM   #64
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
iOS 7.1 released

Quote:

All apps eventually will be updated to support iOS 7 only. So I would update to the latest firmware if I were you. Out of curiosity, why are you still on iOS 6? I'm assuming you're not a fan of the new UI design?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #65
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Hubby has an ipad 3, he hates IOS7 so will hang on to IOS6 for as long as he can
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #66
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I haven't upgraded any of my devices yet. How's battery life? News reports this weekend state some users are experiencing a significant decrease.
I haven't done any specific tests on the battery life after 7.1. However, my gut feeling is that battery life is about the same on both my iPhone 5 and iPad mini Retina running 7.1 as it was with 7.0.6. In other words, I haven't noticed any difference.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:10 PM   #67
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
All apps eventually will be updated to support iOS 7 only. So I would update to the latest firmware if I were you. Out of curiosity, why are you still on iOS 6? I'm assuming you're not a fan of the new UI design?
Nothing to do with UI design. Laziness? I use it as a reader and web device. Sometimes I play an occasional game of chess or solitare. That's it. So I don't know if the update does me any good.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #68
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Nothing to do with UI design. Laziness? I use it as a reader and web device. Sometimes I play an occasional game of chess or solitare. That's it. So I don't know if the update does me any good.
There were a few UI tweeks:

Accessibility
  • Bold font option now includes the keyboard, calculator, and many icon glyphs
  • Reduce Motion option now includes Weather, Messages, and multitasking UI animations
  • New options to display button shapes, darken app colors, and reduce white point
Old 03-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #69
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Thanks everyone for answering my question about battery life. I found this comparison on Ars Technica along with a review of other features. I was mostly concerned about my Mini Retina since I take frequent long-haul flights.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/03...-7-1-reviewed/
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:42 AM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm going to let my Retina Mini run down to the 15% (or whatever it is) "Low Battery" warning to see just what lifetime I do get out of it. At the moment it's showing:

Usage: 4h 53m
Standby: 1 Day 13 h
Battery: 64%

I'll report back on the final results.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #71
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
All in all this look like a pretty good upgrade (thank you for the link Bookworm_Girl). I think I won't wait too long before upgrading my iPhone 4S and iPad 3.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:50 AM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm going to let my Retina Mini run down to the 15% (or whatever it is) "Low Battery" warning to see just what lifetime I do get out of it. At the moment it's showing:

Usage: 4h 53m
Standby: 1 Day 13 h
Battery: 64%

I'll report back on the final results.
Progress report:

Usage: 6h 18m
Standby: 2d 14h
Battery: 52%
Old 03-19-2014, 08:05 AM   #73
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Progress report:

Usage: 6h 18m
Standby: 2d 14h
Battery: 52%
Starting to run low now:

Usage: 9h 0m
Standby: 3d 16h
Battery: 29%
Old 03-19-2014, 08:14 AM   #74
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Starting to run low now:

Usage: 9h 0m
Standby: 3d 16h
Battery: 29%
I'm still on my 1st cycle after setting mine up and I am on

Usage 8h 46m
Standby 1d 14h
Battery 34%
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:38 AM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Our figures seem to be pretty consistent, Josie.