Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
Purl5
Enthusiast
Purl5 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
FROZEN

I've had my 950 Daily Edition for 6 months. Use it regularly with no problems. In the past few weeks it has frozen a few times. Typically I use the on/off switch & hold it to the right for a minute and 1/2 or so & that clears it. Today I can't get it to move no matter what I try. It's frozen on the opening screen with the book I have been reading listed at the top, Books in the middle & the Periodicals, Collections, All Notes tabs at bottom. Looks just fine: but no matter what I do: it does not respond.

I've read about warm and cold boots. I can't see any switch to move/work with aside from the power switch at the top. My firmware is up to date (unless something new has come out in the past week or so).

Can someone help me get my books back?
many thanks
pf
Purl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
Purl5
Enthusiast
Purl5 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Ok, I found the manual online (like I should have done first). Found the diagram that indicated the reset hole (for the next person who needs it: just to the left of the USB connector.) Used a paper clip on it for 5 seconds & that did it. Sigh. Back in business. ...

manual available at: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod....pl?mdl=PRS950
Purl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Glad you're back in business! I've had to do the paperclip trick maybe 2 or 3 times. Certainly less than I had to with older Sony models. The 900 had a removable tip on the stylus to create a reset pin so you didn't need a paperclip. They didn't build that feature into the 950 stylus. I always keep a spare paperclip when I travel just in case. You never know!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Hmm, after hearing that, I guess I may have to stash a paperclip in my cover, "just in case". So far though, so good. My Sony hasn't frozen once.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Knock on wood I've never had my Sony freeze. Can't say that for my Kindle3. Have had that freeze 3 times over the 10 months I've had it.

Anyway glad you are up & running again.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
My K3 definitely does random restarts more frequently than any other reader I have as well.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote