Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-20-2019, 10:13 PM   #32926
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Yep, same here.

I hear "spitting image" too often to count. I just read that in a book recently too, "She was the spitting image of her father..." It's "spit and image"

And "for all intensive purposes" instead of "intents and purposes"

"Past muster" for "passed muster" I also read that not too long ago. Pulled me right out of the story.
"Spitting image" has been in the vernacular for so long, that one has become assimilated and common usage. I don't think I can remember the last time I heard spit and image. It's been...50 years? Outside of my family, I mean. Maybe longer.

The others are...phrase-based homonym errors, really. The "for all intensive purposes" drives me insane. Ditto "past muster" and some others. I have to bite my tongue--literally--when I'm around people, to stop myself from auto-correcting. (If they don't ask, I don't tell.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:02 AM   #32927
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I HATE "I could care less"! For me, that one is right up there with misuse of "literally"
Literally has been used figuratively for so long, it's like decimate. It now has a new meaning in that context.

But you're not the only one to hate "I could care less" which is just wrong.

pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2019, 10:13 AM   #32928
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
A few more:

Traditional expression "if you think ___, then you've got another think coming"
Corruption: "...you've got another thing coming"

Correct: "digestive tract"
Corruption: "digestive track"

I've also seen plenty of misuses of "tack" vs "tact" and "phase" vs "faze"
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #32929
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
A few more:
"Turrent" for "turret." ACCKCKCKCK...

Hitch
Old 05-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #32930
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Or, another rave fave:

paper bag book/paperback book.

Sweet jesus....

Hitch
Advert
Old 05-21-2019, 07:01 PM   #32931
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
The kilogram has been reinvented!

My question is who the he!! calibrated the ammeter?!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:42 AM   #32932
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Vocabulary villains --- why, my stars and garters! Nobody mentioned "invite" ---

When did the word “invitation” degenerate into “invite”? I was raised up to respect my elders, pay my bills, and say "I sent you an invitation.”
NOT “I sent you an invite to my wedding.”

I think I first noticed it back when you could only get some internet service (gmail?) by “invite”, and every new client got a certain number of “invites” to hand out to friends and passing strangers.

That usage used to be restricted to semi-literate dolts (who would also say “a invite” instead of “an invite.)” Now it is standard usage in the best society.

Invite is a VERB, not a noun!

Sigh...

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 05-22-2019 at 05:30 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:39 AM   #32933
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
'reaching out' - more often that not this should be 'reaching into' - your wallet, your back pocket, your purse, your bank account... otherwise 'contact' would usually do.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:25 PM   #32934
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Yeah, "reaching out" bugs me too.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:02 PM   #32935
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
'reaching out' - more often that not this should be 'reaching into' - your wallet, your back pocket, your purse, your bank account... otherwise 'contact' would usually do.
I think we should have "a conversation" about that.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:07 PM   #32936
5thWiggleWife
I’m a Happy Boy!
5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2017, Acer A500, Kobo Glo, iPad mini
I was once told to “reach out to the touchpoint and action the objective”.

I’m not sure what he meant but it sounds dirty.
5thWiggleWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:33 PM   #32937
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I find the use of 'plough/plow' and 'mow' in context of terrorists driving vehicles into crowds to murder people absolutely disgusting.

Why can't they use 'drive', 'smash', 'kill', 'murder' etc

I've written (email and pen on paper) to several broadcasters -- BBC, ABC ('A' for Australian), SBS, NEWS and CNN -- asking them to stop using these euphemisms. NEWS is the only one to acknowledge my complaint, zilch from the 3 public broadcasters and CNN.

If something like this, "The terrorists mowed several people down by ploughing into them as they walked across London Bridge." offends me (who has never lived further than 5km from the centre of a very large city), how must the people who get up every day to plough and mow the fields in which my food grows feel when they hear it.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-22-2019 at 07:35 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:30 PM   #32938
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
NYPD Blue is the villain on that one. The David Caruso character's dialogue popularized that particular phrase--"reaching out to" coming to mean, "contacting so-and-so."

Hitch
Old 05-22-2019, 11:26 PM   #32939
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Another irritant is "Challenges" when it is used as corporate-speak for Problems or Difficulties.

I had a hard enough time adjusting to troubled/troublesome folks "having issues" (I am afraid I will always associate "issue" with "magazine" or consider it a synonym for "topic"), but when I started getting memos signed off with "Do let us know if you have any challenges with this," I startled my co-workers with shrieks of despair.

If you call it a "challenge" it is no longer a "problem." If you call it an "issue" it is no longer a "problem." See? All your problems are solved! (you only had to re-name them.)
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:49 PM   #32940
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Some people don't understand user stupidity isn't covered by warranty.

So you bought and €90 flashlight about a year ago. You were told that when you plan on not using the flashlight for a while to remove the batteries. The flashlight comes with Duracell batteries and you were recommended that when the batteries need replacing to buy good quality batteries, since you don't want leaking batteries to ruin your €90 flashlight.

You go back to the store a year later and demand a replacement under warranty because you, wanting to save money, didn't buy Duracell replacement batteries (their professional Industrial line sells for €1 a battery or 10 for €8) but you decided to go for the €1,79 for ten batteries at the Ikea. And you left them in for a couple months without using it.

So the batteries leaked like crazy (seriously, don't get Ikea batteries, they are the most leak prone batteries I've ever come across) and probably ruined your flashlight. You get mad when you're told this isn't covered by warranty. The store offers you to see if they can get a new battery holder for you (which is definitely ruined) but that you might first want to try a clean out the gunk with some steel wool and clean the spring. Then come back to the store and test the flashlight with a battery holder store has before trying to order a new one. But no, you threaten with lawyers.

I just don't get it that people buy expensive flashlights and then, when they are advised differently, don't invest in good batteries. Even if they wouldn't have leaked a Duracell Industrial will last you a lot longer than an Ikea battery. Occasionally a Duracell battery leaks, but I've know Duracell to replace the ruined device when that happens.

I've seen so many flashlights, especially Maglites (battery swells, get stuck in barrel) ruined by cheap batteries. My advice: either remove the batteries when you're not using the flashlight, or when you can't (emergency flashlight) invest in good batteries and check if they haven't drained every couple of months.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness