Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Can you get older versions of Word for free?

I've got MS Office Word 2003. I don't feel like paying for 2013. But you know how they sometimes let you download the old stuff for free. Like 2007 or whatever. Anybody know? Thanks.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I'm not sure??

However, you might get more people to chime in if you asked this in the general forum.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
I've got MS Office Word 2003. I don't feel like paying for 2013. But you know how they sometimes let you download the old stuff for free. Like 2007 or whatever. Anybody know? Thanks.
Word VIEWER is free from MS. It allows View and Print.

Open/Libre Office is FREE and reads in Word files (and XL sheets, Power point...)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Open/Libre Office is FREE and reads in Word files (and XL sheets, Power point...)
And, as I can't help but mention, LO/OO has a great plug-in, writer2xhtml, that provides export of very clean xhtml and even epubs directly from Word docs. Saves having to clean up MS garbage html code. Customizable CSS files too!
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
It is very rare that MS offers free software, in fact it is usually the opposite: they raise prices as soon as possible.

But they do it time to time: for example you can have Word 5 for DOS for free... and recently they give away MS Expression Desing 4 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/downl....aspx?id=36180), a very good prog.

Here's what I suggest: buy Atlantis Word Processor (you can try it out for 30 days, see here http://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com/en/). BTW, I have any connection with them (developpers), but I use it so I can speak.

For basic needs, and even more sophisticated ones it is very powerful, small and best of all it can save correctly doc files to epub format.

I think this is the kind of software you need, even if it is not free.

Anyway, with a little research on the Web you can get it for $10.

Is it perfect No! Indeed, very curiously after 10 years on the job Atlantis Word Processor is unable to deal with tables. But for what it does, it does it very well.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you are a student, staff, professor...or in any way associated with a school (ie have an id and an email address from the school) you can get Office365 University for 2 computers for 4 years for only $80. That's only $10 per computer per year.... That includes free upgrades during that 4 year time frame and Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, etc. </free MS advertising>

Cheers,
Old 03-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Hi Turtle91,

I'm not sure that Gregg Bell can use it. Anyway, I don't know: he is perhaps a prof or a student. And maybe he needs all of the stuff included within an Office suite. Anyway, he was talking about Word as a free software...

Personally, I really dont like the new subscription option, but I can understand that is a solution for a company or an individual.

About the price: Office Home and Student 2010 was offer for about $130 and could be installed on 3 pc: now it is $140 for only 1 pc. There are changes of course between the 2 versions: I'm not sure it's worth the price increase, though, certainly not for me.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I'm not sure??

However, you might get more people to chime in if you asked this in the general forum.
Yeah, I was wondering where to post this one. (But I like you Sigil guys!) So, the general forum you're referring to, is that the "General Discussion" forum? (I'm still learning the ropes.)
Old 03-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:

Thanks, Ducks, but I have to edit.

And, do you think OO or LO are as good as Word? (I'm writing fiction in Word, cleaning up the Word doc in Notepad++, then going to Sigil.)

And another thought, I don't really have a problem with what I'm using now (MS Office Word 2003). Are there any great advantages to upgrading in the MS line of Word programs or switching to OO or LO?
Old 03-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Yeah, I was wondering where to post this one. (But I like you Sigil guys!) So, the general forum you're referring to, is that the "General Discussion" forum? (I'm still learning the ropes.)
That is the only MR one that is not specifically to a topic.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks st_albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
And, as I can't help but mention, LO/OO has a great plug-in, writer2xhtml, that provides export of very clean xhtml and even epubs directly from Word docs. Saves having to clean up MS garbage html code. Customizable CSS files too!
I heard about the writer2xhtml plug-in but wasn't too sure about it. In fact, I'm not sure about the difference between LO and OO. So you compose on LO or OO, then go to the writer2xhtml, then it export what you've written into clean html (similar to Word's saving as 'web page filtered'?)? Or from Word docs?

Like I said I'm a little uncertain about all this. And I did go to the writer2xhtml site and it said the product hadn't been released in over a year and might not be maintained. (And I don't know if I was looking in the right place.)

Last edited by Gregg Bell; 03-24-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

cool

Quote:
That is the only MR one that is not specifically to a topic.
thanks
Old 03-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #13
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arios View Post
About the price: Office Home and Student 2010 was offer for about $130 and could be installed on 3 pc: now it is $140 for only 1 pc. There are changes of course between the 2 versions: I'm not sure it's worth the price increase, though, certainly not for me.
Hi!

I was specifically referring to the "University" version, not Home and Student. The University version has more of the applications - think of them as a bonus if you are just looking for Word. It is priced at $80 for 2 for 4 years.

I know there are a few changes between the different version besides just how it looks...a little more functionality as well as bells/whistles. How much f that is used on a regular basis by an author?? I don't know. I'm not an author, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...and the night before....hey I'm still sitting here!!!!
Old 03-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #14
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arios View Post
It is very rare that MS offers free software, in fact it is usually the opposite: they raise prices as soon as possible.

But they do it time to time: for example you can have Word 5 for DOS for free... and recently they give away MS Expression Desing 4 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/downl....aspx?id=36180), a very good prog.

Here's what I suggest: buy Atlantis Word Processor (you can try it out for 30 days, see here http://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com/en/). BTW, I have any connection with them (developpers), but I use it so I can speak.

For basic needs, and even more sophisticated ones it is very powerful, small and best of all it can save correctly doc files to epub format.

I think this is the kind of software you need, even if it is not free.

Anyway, with a little research on the Web you can get it for $10.

Is it perfect No! Indeed, very curiously after 10 years on the job Atlantis Word Processor is unable to deal with tables. But for what it does, it does it very well.
Thanks Arios. I'd never heard of Atlantis. I went to the site. It looks good. But is it better than the giant MS Word? I read a review that Atlantis doesn't allow macros, but I don't really use macros. (And if the doc is relatively clean why would I need a macro. I'm writing fiction. No tables or anything like that) I don't know. I'm still getting my head around all this stuff. St_Albert's writer2xhtml sounded good too. For what I'm doing, do you think one would be better than the other? I just have to keep looking. The free trial version is great. They didn't say how much they sold the regular version for at the website. Isn't there an advantage to buying it there? And if not, where did you find it for ten?

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #15
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

you could have something there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Hi!

I was specifically referring to the "University" version, not Home and Student. The University version has more of the applications - think of them as a bonus if you are just looking for Word. It is priced at $80 for 2 for 4 years.

I know there are a few changes between the different version besides just how it looks...a little more functionality as well as bells/whistles. How much f that is used on a regular basis by an author?? I don't know. I'm not an author, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...and the night before....hey I'm still sitting here!!!!
Not a student any more (thank God--I hated school). And I don't know, but I thought you had a pretty good rif going with the Holiday Inn bit.