Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 01-09-2019, 01:39 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Bangs, John K.: The Idiot: An Omnibus. v1. 09 Jan 2019

The Idiot: An omnibus
John Kendrick Bangs (1862–1922)

In this sequence of humorous observations, flights of fancy, wry social commentary, and doggerel verse, a boarding-house resident habitually deflates the pretensions and flawed philosophies of his fellow boarders. They, of course, insist that he is an idiot spouting nonsense.

This collection includes the six books Coffee and Repartee, The Idiot, The Idiot at Home, The Inventions of the Idiot, The Genial Idiot, and Half Hours With the Idiot.

John Kendrick Bangs (May 27, 1862 – January 21, 1922) was an American author, humorist, satirist, editor and lecturer. Between 1884 and 1906, he worked as editor at a number of magazines, among them Life, Munsey’s, The New Metropolitan, the Harper’s magazines, and the foremost humor magazine of its day, Puck. A highly popular and prolific writer, he had more than sixty books published.

The contents of this book were first published 1893, 1895, 1900, 1904, 1908, 1917. Text is in the public domain in countries where the copyright term is “Life+90” or less, and in the USA.

Texts were obtained from Project Gutenberg and the Internet Archive. OCR and printer’s errors were silently corrected; punctuation, diacritics, and italics formatted; some spelling and punctuation normalized. Cover design derived from The Genial Idiot first edition.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CoverThumbnail.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	168941  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Bangs-JK-IdiotOmnibus.epub (608.6 KB, 383 views)

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 02-14-2019 at 09:23 PM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #2
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Ah, splendid. Bangs is a treat. While you're at it, what are the chances of an anthology with the Houseboat on the Styx stories - The Houseboat on the Styx, The Return of the Houseboat, and Mr. Munchausen?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:14 PM   #3
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes indeed, I am planning the Styx omnibus. Then the Sherlockian/Raffles canon (I found Shylock Homes at the Library of Congress newspaper archives -- whee! but lots of OCR garble.)

But first, the ghosts, which I am working right now, and trying to decide about the illustrations. A fair portion of the pix are not humorous, and not particularly attractive, so I might just omit those. Or, omit all of them. I can't make up my mind. What do you think?
Old 01-09-2019, 09:53 PM   #4
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
Yes indeed, I am planning the Styx omnibus. Then the Sherlockian/Raffles canon (I found Shylock Homes at the Library of Congress newspaper archives -- whee! but lots of OCR garble.)
Thank you!

Quote:
But first, the ghosts, which I am working right now, and trying to decide about the illustrations. A fair portion of the pix are not humorous, and not particularly attractive, so I might just omit those. Or, omit all of them. I can't make up my mind. What do you think?
My feel is "all or none". I like illustrated editions, but prefer those with all of the original illustrations. Omitting some because they aren't humorous raises the question of what is funny, and "not attractive" is another judgement call. There is also the matter of why those illustrations were included in the original volume. My suspicion is that if the subject is ghosts, there will inevitably be illustrations that aren't humorous because ghosts aren't by nature funny.

You can always have it both ways, and create an edition with the illustrations, and another that omits them simply to have smaller size.

Can you provide a pointer to the illustrations in question?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:04 PM   #5
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

Oh, these ghosts definitely have a comic side!
Yup, I probably will go with a fully illustrated (which will be HUGE), and a non-illustrated.

I believe the illustrations are taken from the original magazine publications, so it is a very mixed bag of artists and styles, especially as I am doing an omnibus of three collections of short stories.

https://archive.org/details/watergho...ngiala/page/n5

https://archive.org/details/ghostsih...ngiala/page/n7

https://archive.org/details/overthep...ngrich/page/n7
Old 01-11-2019, 07:34 AM   #6
litemotif
Enthusiast
litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook; Mini, H2O; Voyage, Oasis 2; Galaxy Note 8
I like the illustrations (if that matters ).
litemotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Thanks for this! I've only read the Raffles/Holmes stuff and Alice in Blunderland, so I'm excited to sample more Bangs.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family, friendship, social commentary, wit and humor