Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-28-2018, 04:17 PM   #16
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
@Bookcat - I agree that the UK price difference between the Clara v Touch HD 2 makes the Touch seem rather uncompetitive now.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:30 AM   #17
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Just for fun, here's a detail that makes me like any Pocketbook over Kobo and Onyx: Startup.

During switchon, Pocketbook can open up the last book where you left off (provided that you were reading it in the stock reader or Coolreader). This makes the device startup quick and convenient, and switchoff a nonissue.

My Onyx starts up slow, as expected from Android. Additionally it struggles to connect to the microSD card. The whole procedure to get a book open takes at least a whole minute.

Kobo is most frustrating of them all. Startup and opening up a book is quick enough, like Pocketbook, but then Kobo needs to go "processing content" which for some unfathomable reason is a foreground process that kicks you out of the book you just opened. (There's a similar automatic refresh in Pocketbook too, but it's wisely a background process and does not kick you out of the opened book.) Because of this, I avoid Kobo's software entirely.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2018, 02:13 AM   #18
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post

Kobo is most frustrating of them all. Startup and opening up a book is quick enough, like Pocketbook, but then Kobo needs to go "processing content" which for some unfathomable reason is a foreground process that kicks you out of the book you just opened... Because of this, I avoid Kobo's software entirely.
I am unable to replicate this on my Clara HD. I have tried with books I sideloaded and books I bought through the Kobo store. When waking from sleep, the device opens where i left off. If I power off completely, it starts up at my home page, with the book last opened in "pole position at the top left of the screen. Tap on it and it opens where I left off, with no subsequent eviction at all.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:47 AM   #19
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@stjuartmz

I have Kobo H2O Edition 1. Perhaps crucial points:

1. I have microSD card
2. I have KSM that opens up first, and from there I go to Nickel.

I guess #1 is that which requires "processing content". Kobo apparently fixed it by removing microSD.

In Kobo I do all my reading in Koreader. There is nothing that could compel me into Nickel.

Last edited by mobama; 10-29-2018 at 03:58 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:49 AM   #20
mobama
Evangelist

(duplicate)

Last edited by mobama; 10-29-2018 at 03:58 AM.
Advert
Old 10-29-2018, 04:13 AM   #21
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
@stjuartmz

I have Kobo H2O Edition 1. Perhaps crucial points:

1. I have microSD card
2. I have KSM that opens up first, and from there I go to Nickel.

I guess #1 is that which requires "processing content". Kobo apparently fixed it by removing microSD.

In Kobo I do all my reading in Koreader. There is nothing that could compel me into Nickel.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm a little curious about Koreader, but since my Clara is working flawlesly out of the box with the only tweaks being a few extra fonts and the "header/footer" display toggle added, I have yet to see any truly compelling "must do" reason. It ain't broke, so I see no need to fix it. And your reply clarified that the behaviour you described is NOT intrinsic to all Kobo software and devices, but instead specific to an interaction between Kobo and externally-sourced software. An important distinction, I feel.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:25 AM   #22
mobama
Evangelist

Yes, it is important to clarify that I have direct experience with just one Kobo device. However, I have experience with many Pocketbooks over the years, their software has remained pretty much the same all along, and on these forums I see the same largely applies to Kobo too.

Forma has been apparently a significant step up though, in terms of PDF treatment specifically. The overwhelming majority my own reading material is predominantly PDF. In Kobo H2O Edition 1, PDF handling is frankly not there, compared to Pocketbook and Onyx. Therefore Koreader is a must for me on Kobo - I cannot do without a decent PDF reader.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:34 AM   #23
foreteller
foreteller began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD2 , Cybook Bookeen Frontlight HD
@Bookcat But Pocketbook has english dictionary . Have you seen their support page ?
https://www.pocketbook-int.com/int/s...ook-touch-hd-2
foreteller is offline   Reply With Quote