Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-03-2018, 02:33 PM   #1
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
SVG to rotate image

I have no real understanding of SVG, I use plugins to generate SVG wrappers for images and then place it.

One thing I often do with landscape mode images (e.g., maps) is to to rotate them 90% so they can be larger on the page -- I assume it's being read on a Kindle or other tablet so you can just turn it in your hand.

It''s easy to rotate the image losslessly in Irfanview, but I wonder if I can import the image in normal orientation and use SVG to rotate it? Would make managing or revising the image easier.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:42 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
... but I wonder if I can import the image in normal orientation and use SVG to rotate it? Would make managing or revising the image easier.
I don't know about using SVG to do the rotation but the calibre Editor has a 'rotate image' tool. Clicking it rotates it 90-degrees at a time.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2018, 03:17 PM   #3
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I don't know about using SVG to do the rotation but the calibre Editor has a 'rotate image' tool. Clicking it rotates it 90-degrees at a time.
I guess that changes the image file. I know how to do that; I want code to display rotated.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:45 PM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
You could mess around with the TRANSFORM options, but I don't think there will be much, if any, support for that...especially with ePub2.

Check out this thread for a discussion on why its not even worth it with a reflowable epub and devices that autorotate - and zoom into the image with a tap.

Last edited by Turtle91; 09-03-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:39 PM   #5
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Check out this thread for a discussion on why its not even worth it with a reflowable epub and devices that autorotate - and zoom into the image with a tap.
Matter of opinion. Anyway, there are devices that don't autrotate (like Kindle) or you can turn it off. I usually do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
You could mess around with the TRANSFORM options, but I don't think there will be much, if any, support for that...especially with ePub2.
Which is why my question is about how to do it in SVG. But it seem not a lot of SVG coders here.

Last edited by AlanHK; 09-04-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Advert
Old 09-04-2018, 03:39 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Which is why my question is about how to do it in SVG. But it seem not a lot of SVG coders here.
I seem to remember that MR member RbnJrg knows a lot about SVG and epub. If he doesn't see this thread it might be worth PM-ing him. He's usually very helpful about sharing info.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:28 PM   #7
signum
Zealot
signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: none
Quote:
But it seem not a lot of SVG coders here.

I've fooled around with some SVG transforms before. The short answer to your question is Yes, you can rotate images using just SVG. You can also scale, skew, translate and possibly reflect the image to somewhere else in the viewport. The image could be a jpg, png, geometric primitive such as rect, text, most anything. Look up a reputable tutorial on SVG, especially transforms, and see what you can come up with.

A couple things you must not forget: 1) The viewport defines a virtual "canvas" with left-hand coordinates (meaning simply that the origin is in the UPPER left corner, instead of the BOTTOM left corner), which often corresponds to pixels, but it doesn't have to. All transforms are performed on this canvas. Actual screen pixels aren't assigned until SVG finishes its job. 2) rotations are done about the (0,0) point of the canvas. You will probably want to translate the center of you image to (0,0), do the rotation, and then back-translate it to where it came from.
signum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:05 PM   #8
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I seem to remember that MR member RbnJrg knows a lot about SVG and epub. If he doesn't see this thread it might be worth PM-ing him. He's usually very helpful about sharing info.
Thank you very much kind lady. The OP could read with advantage the items in the following site:

http://tutorials.jenkov.com/svg/index.html

and regarding "transformations", this page:

http://tutorials.jenkov.com/svg/svg-transformation.html

But the best way to proceed while one is not acustomed to work with SVG images, is to download Inkscape and play with it.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote