Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-31-2018, 11:39 AM   #1
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Downloading Kobo Books to a PRS-T1

I want to go back to using my Sony PRS-T1 as my main ebook reader. I have been using a Samsung Galaxy A 7.0 tablet, but while the screen size is better, it is also heavier and seems to need to be charged a lot.

In the past, I have downloaded books to it directly from the Kobo store, but now I am not able to view my library. It takes me to a browsing window, but I can't seem to do anything else from there. Is this a change from Kobo where I can no longer access the store or library from my reader?

I originally upgraded from the PRS-505 because I wanted to be able to download to my reader over wi-fi, without involving my computer. I don't like sideloading (or any other method that involves using my computer to manually manage my library) but is this currently my only option to add books from my Kobo library to my reader?

Thanks!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:01 PM   #2
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
I just downloaded a book from the kobo store to my prs t-1. Buying a book from the kobo store directly from the prs t-1 is cumbersome to say the least. Anyway, I had a bunch of books in the kobo store which rolled over from the old sony reader account. I have since purchased a few free kobo books but I've always had to go through the desktop kobo software to purchase it and then wirelessly download it to the t-1.

Given that you already have a kobo account and have books purchased go to the second screen on your t-1 and select "purchased content." When I selected purchased content I was promoted to enter my kobo account password. From there, you will have the option to download books you've already purchased to your prs t-1. Hope this helps.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2018, 11:12 AM   #3
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I used to be able to do that, but this time when I selected "Purchased Content", it just directed me to the first page of the Kobo store. I managed to find the login screen, but even after logging in, I couldn't find my library. The last book I read on it, I downloaded directly from Kobo, so I'm disappointed that I'm having trouble with it now.

Thanks for your help.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:50 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I used to be able to do that, but this time when I selected "Purchased Content", it just directed me to the first page of the Kobo store. I managed to find the login screen, but even after logging in, I couldn't find my library. The last book I read on it, I downloaded directly from Kobo, so I'm disappointed that I'm having trouble with it now.

Thanks for your help.
The same thing happens on my T1. If I try to go to "Purchased Content" I get a "404 – Page Not Found" error – this after I was allowed to login to the Store. If I go to "Purchased Books" under "Collections" I get a notice "There are no items in this list." – and am instructed to look into the manual to learn how to download. The Kobo site has instructions that apply to the T2 (and, I would imagine, the T3, but it doesn't fit the T1). So, not sure what's going on here. My T2 seems to work fine.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:12 AM   #5
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I tried to download a book from the kobo store again and the same thing happened to me i.e, following purchased content led me to the storefront. The workaround was to exit and try again which worked. I had previously watched the following youtube video to get some ideas about this;

Sony Reader Kobo eBook Store Tutorial

Last edited by Ricky D'Angelo; 08-02-2018 at 12:38 AM.
Advert
Old 08-02-2018, 12:36 AM   #6
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The same thing happens on my T1. If I try to go to "Purchased Content" I get a "404 – Page Not Found" error – this after I was allowed to login to the Store. If I go to "Purchased Books" under "Collections" I get a notice "There are no items in this list." – and am instructed to look into the manual to learn how to download. The Kobo site has instructions that apply to the T2 (and, I would imagine, the T3, but it doesn't fit the T1). So, not sure what's going on here. My T2 seems to work fine.
When I go to the desktop kobo website My Account>My Books shows that I have 54 books. Most of these books were rolled over from my old Sony account which merged with Kobo. However when I use the PRS T-1 to go from Collections > Purchased books it shows there are only 6 books available (all "non" sony ebooks) Since I have long since stopped downloading books directly from Kobo I was confused by this but now I believe Collections > Purchased books only shows books which were in fact previously downloaded.

From the PRS T-1 going to the second screen > purchased content shows all 54 books available. Perhaps an incorrect login to the kobo store from the PRS T-1 will prevent seeing books available for download.

Last edited by Ricky D'Angelo; 08-02-2018 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:46 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
Well, I tried to download a book from the kobo store again and the same thing happened to me i.e, following purchased content led me to the storefront. The workaround was to exit and try again which worked. I had previously watched the following youtube video to get some ideas about this;

Sony Reader Kobo eBook Store Tutorial
I can't get the browser do anything besides the 404 error. The YouTube video shows the T2 software and my T2 is working — but the T1 is different. I tried it by going to the Kobo bookstore on my computer and "buying" a free book. The T1 still doesn't see any "purchased" books, but I did copy it to the T1 fine using the Sony software on the Windows partition on my laptop. The T2 automatically saw it and allowed me to download directly to the device. So I don't know why my T1 is having trouble and other's T1s are working. It's updated to the "Kobo" firmware, and the ADE user name is correct (according to the Sony software). The book, itself, works fine — so an ePub version must have been available.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:47 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
From the PRS T-1 going to the second screen > purchased content shows all 54 books available. Perhaps an incorrect login to the kobo store from the PRS T-1 will prevent seeing books available for download.
I would be glad to try logging in again, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do that. I'm not getting prompted for a login any more. I'll see what I can find.

EDIT: I was able to add books to my library from both the T1 and T2, but I had to do a search for books I knew were free. Trying to make the filters and categories work was close to an impossible task in the browser. At no time could I get the T1 to display my purchased content.

Last edited by rcentros; 08-02-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:21 AM   #9
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
I never used my eReaders with DRMed ebooks and never will. Mostly because they can change the content of my library as well the access to it, the very same way the music/video content delivery industry does it with music, series and movies.

There are lots of free books (because the copyright lapsed) that deserve to be read before any of these new ones.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:48 AM   #10
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic

Quote:
I can't get the browser do anything besides the 404 error. The YouTube video shows the T2 software and my T2 is working — but the T1 is different. I tried it by going to the Kobo bookstore on my computer and "buying" a free book. The T1 still doesn't see any "purchased" books, but I did copy it to the T1 fine using the Sony software on the Windows partition on my laptop. The T2 automatically saw it and allowed me to download directly to the device. So I don't know why my T1 is having trouble and other's T1s are working. It's updated to the "Kobo" firmware, and the ADE user name is correct (according to the Sony software). The book, itself, works fine — so an ePub version must have been available.
At first I thought ADE may be an issue since according to this article if you download a DRM'ed book to a second device ( your T1) it will have to be "authorized."
Quote:
Authorize your device with Adobe DRM
Kobo is using Adobe DRM to prevent ebook files from unauthorized distribution. You should be aware of it before you start buying books on Kobo.

If you don’t authorize the device with your Adobe ID, you will be only able to read the book on a first device to which you download it. It won’t open on any other device.
https://ebookfriendly.com/kobo-tips-tricks/
However, you stated your ADE is correct.

Just to be sure perhaps you can try downloading some DRM Free kobo books to see if they show up under "purchased content" on you T1 (see link below)
https://www.kobo.com/us/en/p/drm-free

Another option to try is to use the the browser on your T1 to try to access your purchased content. In the address browser, entering the following;
https://www.kobobooks.com/library/library.html
should take you to your downloaded books if your password is correct.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:17 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Just to be sure perhaps you can try downloading some DRM Free kobo books to see if they show up under "purchased content" on you T1 (see link below)
https://www.kobo.com/us/en/p/drm-free
Nothing shows up in my Purchased Books under "Collections" — not even the one I downloaded with the Reader Software from the PC.

Quote:
Another option to try is to use the the browser on your T1 to try to access your purchased content. In the address browser, entering the following;
https://www.kobobooks.com/library/library.html
should take you to your downloaded books if your password is correct.
This URL is forwarded to https://www.kobo.com/us/en/library/library.html, but once it goes there it just throws the "404 — Page Can't Be Found" error. It's like the cord between the T1 and the Kobo Market has been "cut." (This link also does not work on the T2.)

The sample, DRM-free book I downloaded (found by going to your link) showed up in the T2 and the Kobos, not the T1. The T1 has no issues downloading Public Domain books from Feedbooks. I'll have to see if it can handle a DRM ePub from Feedbooks sometime.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've put eBooks from Kobo on a T1. The way I did it was to download the ePub version and remove the DRM. It works perfectly.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:22 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
In the past, I have downloaded books to it directly from the Kobo store, but now I am not able to view my library. It takes me to a browsing window, but I can't seem to do anything else from there. Is this a change from Kobo where I can no longer access the store or library from my reader?
I can't speak for everyone, but my T1 no longer seems to work (directly) with the store. (Maybe it never did?) Recently there have been some cheap T2s selling on Shop Goodwill. Unfortunately there are none right now. My T2 does work with the Kobo Market and Overdrive, so it might be worth watching for one to show up on www.shopgoodwill.com
Old 08-03-2018, 08:25 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I can't speak for everyone, but my T1 no longer seems to work (directly) with the store. (Maybe it never did?) Recently there have been some cheap T2s selling on Shop Goodwill. Unfortunately there are none right now. My T2 does work with the Kobo Market and Overdrive, so it might be worth watching for one to show up on www.shopgoodwill.com
But if you remove the DRM, there's no need for the store on the T1.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:12 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But if you remove the DRM, there's no need for the store on the T1.
Apparently new WiFi authorizations no longer work on the T2 either. I have a T2 I found on Shop Goodwill or Mercari a while back. I've been side-loading books on it, but I wanted to see if I could update it and "activate" it on Kobo's Market. So far I haven't been able to get it to see my Purchased books at all (via WiFi, they can still be seen and downloaded via the Sony Desktop software). Meanwhile my "old" T2 works fine. Syncs to the Kobo Market just like a Kobo.