Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What color-full book shall we read for February?
Nothing But Blue Skies by Tom Holt 9 47.37%
Fadeout by Joseph Hansen 5 26.32%
The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith 8 42.11%
Passing by Nella Larsen 11 57.89%
Rainbows End: A Novel with One Foot in the Future by Vernor Vinge 7 36.84%
The Amber Fury by Natalie Haynes 4 21.05%
The Color Purple by Alice Walker 4 21.05%
The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiesen 6 31.58%
The Innocence of Father Brown by G. K. Chesterton 6 31.58%
The Crimson Chalice by Victor Canning 2 10.53%
Green Island by Shawna Yang Ryan 5 26.32%
Colours (Earth Incorporated #1) by Adrian J. Walker 3 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2018, 07:07 AM   #31
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've voted for two that are well outside my usual reading genres.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:47 AM   #32
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Passing seems interesting, and not something I’d have found otherwise, so happy to see it do well.

I have already read Father Brown, so no vote from me there, all the others are new books, so it was quite fun to decide which to vote for. Some were off my list fairly easily, but it is still a difficult choice.

And Colours is a good book, and not pricey either (hint hint)
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do have Passing on reserve via Overdrive. I think I have up to 2 weeks to get it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #34
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do have Passing on reserve via Overdrive. I think I have up to 2 weeks to get it.
It's short, so it shouldn't take long to read. But it's only 99¢ at Amazon US anyway; I think it's cheap most places.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #35
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
And £0.89 at AmazonUK, with a £3.99 WhisperSync
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2018, 01:01 PM   #36
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
And £0.89 at AmazonUK, with a £3.99 WhisperSync
Thanks for mentioning that. I have bought that format. I’m new to Audible and that strikes me as quite good value.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:11 AM   #37
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just listened to it on a trip today.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:50 AM   #38
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
And Passing it is! I'll have the book thread up shortly, locked until the discussion starts on February 15.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:57 AM   #39
CRussel
(he/him/his)

FWIW, I just finished reading the Audible version of Passing. It definitely made a bad drive better, though I'll leave the actual book discussion until we have the thread up and open. However, if your preference is audio books, the Audible version is a reasonable option.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:04 PM   #40
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Info on Various Sources and Formats for Passing

Thank you for the information on the Audible version, Charlie. Was that the version with Robin Miles? There is also one with Alice Johnson. In addition there is a LibriVox version read by Elizabeth Klett.

The book is available in the Overdrive catalog (but sadly not at any of my libraries). However I did just discover multiple editions are available to borrow through Hoopla. I also have a Scribd subscription, and both ebook and audiobook versions are available.

Furthermore I would like to highlight that Penguin and Modern Library both have annotated footnote versions with critical essay introductions available as ebooks. These are both priced at $9.99 in the Amazon US store. I might purchase one of these editions and then borrow the Robin Miles audiobook through Scribd.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:11 PM   #41
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
FWIW, I just finished reading the Audible version of Passing. It definitely made a bad drive better, though I'll leave the actual book discussion until we have the thread up and open. However, if your preference is audio books, the Audible version is a reasonable option.
My hold on the physical copy just came in at the library. I will be picking it up Monday.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #42
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It was suggested that reading guide questions might be helpful to promoting discussion during some of the brainstorming threads on how to improve the book club.

Here is a link to the reading guide from the Modern Library edition. Of course, if you don't like spoilers, then I recommend that you look at the link after you've read the book.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:22 PM   #43
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
It was suggested that reading guide questions might be helpful to promoting discussion during some of the brainstorming threads on how to improve the book club.

Here is a link to the reading guide from the Modern Library edition. Of course, if you don't like spoilers, then I recommend that you look at the link after you've read the book.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...readers-guide/
I think this will be most instructive! I saw that the book was published in 1929. As such, I am sure that context will be key (just as with Sayers or Carroll in the past selections).
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #44
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Thanks very much Bookworm-Girl for that information. I am going to get the Penguin version if I can as of course I know less about the situation in the US back then, especially for people of colour.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:27 PM   #45
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Thanks very much Bookworm-Girl for that information. I am going to get the Penguin version if I can as of course I know less about the situation in the US back then, especially for people of colour.
It's sometimes hard to find these other editions when there are so many cheaper options. I was able to find the Modern Library edition on both Kobo AU and Amazon AU by searching for books by the words "Passing (Modern Library Classics)". I couldn't find the Penguin version on either website. I did find the Penguin paperback on Booktopia so they do sell the edition in Australia. Maybe you'll be able to find it in your local library. Good luck! Thanks for nominating this book. I'm looking forward to it.