Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-14-2017, 07:32 AM   #31
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
does setting invert active to yes (and perhaps reboot) work at all?
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:59 PM   #32
melodyh
melodyh can extract oil from cheesemelodyh can extract oil from cheesemelodyh can extract oil from cheesemelodyh can extract oil from cheesemelodyh can extract oil from cheesemelodyh can extract oil from cheesemelodyh can extract oil from cheesemelodyh can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One
Thanks for the suggestion, frostshultz. I tried, but it didn't work.

Sigh.

Any other ideas from anyone would be great! Have a great day!
melodyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2017, 05:22 PM   #33
fraggle111
fraggle111 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O, Kindle PW
@melodyh

I finally got it working on my H2O 2017.

The steps:

- I copied the .tgz file to kobo (do not unpack it - that's a mistake I make time and time again)

- rebooted the kobo

- changed the complete nightmode.ini to:

# config file for kobo-nightmode

[state]
invertActive = no # yes / no
retainStateOverRestart = no # yes / no

[control]
longPressDurationMS = 800 # time in milliseconds to toggle (1000 = 1 second)
debug=no # yes/no to enable/disable debug logging

[nightmode]
refreshScreenPages = 3 #force refresh every X pages
#forceSWInvert = true #force SW invert mode (default: false)

[brightness]
1percentPatch = yes # yes / no : Nickel set brightness to 2% even when on UI it is set to 1%
# this patch will force brightenss to 1% when:
# - it was set to 1%, then it was set to 0% (for instance: stand-by) then changed again to "what Nickel says is 2%"
# - it was set to 3%, then it was set to 1% then changed again to "what Nickel says is 2%"
timeout = 0 # time in seconds, after brightness is set (and maintained) to a given level, to toggle the action set to that level
# switch device off
7 = echo -ne "\xfe\x0f\xc5\x54\xff\x6a\x0d\x00\x01\x00\x74\x00\ x01\x00\x00" > /dev/input/event0
# put device in standby
8 = echo -ne "\xf0\x0f\xc5\x54\x3c\xe0\x0d\x00\x01\x00\x74\x00\ x01\x00\x00\x00\xf1\x0f\xc5\x54\x8e\xe3\x02\x00\x0 1\x00\x74\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00" > /dev/input/event0
# when brightness is set to 4% : special action, toggle night toggleNightMode
4 = toggleNightMode
5 = disableNightMode

(Or any other numbers you like)
Reboot the kobo again.

I hope it works

Regards,
Olivia
fraggle111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:50 PM   #34
melodyh
melodyh can extract oil from cheesemelodyh can extract oil from cheesemelodyh can extract oil from cheesemelodyh can extract oil from cheesemelodyh can extract oil from cheesemelodyh can extract oil from cheesemelodyh can extract oil from cheesemelodyh can extract oil from cheese

Thank you SO much, Olivia! (great name by the way... That would have been my daughter's name had I had one!).

Before I try it, where did you get the file from? Would you mind posting the link? I think there are a couple of versions around and I'd like to use the one that worked for you!

Have a fab day!

Melody
Old 08-17-2017, 05:58 AM   #35
fraggle111

@melodyh

Thanks, I'm quite happy with my name, in fact :-)

I used the link in this thread:
https://github.com/gtalusan/kobo-nig...r/KoboRoot.tgz

With my kobo, it works semi-perfect. Sometimes the device switches itself off and on again - but I can live with that.

Good luck!

Last edited by fraggle111; 08-17-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Advert
Old 08-17-2017, 05:39 PM   #36
melodyh

Nope...no luck.

Hi Olivia!

I tried it...and it does not work. I'm pretty sure I'm implementing it correctly, as I do have it working on my Kobo Glo and the steps are the same.

I think I read somewhere that the problematic thing about the Kobo Aura One is the secondary light setting (blue to orange light). Perhaps that's why it works on your Kobo H20 and not my Aura One?

In any case, I really appreciate your responses.

Anyone else have any luck getting Night Mode to work on the KA1?????
Old 08-18-2017, 03:27 AM   #37
fraggle111

Strange...

Hmmm, the H2O 2017 does have the orange light as well.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:15 PM   #38
melodyh

Hi again!

Just for funzies, I changed invertActive from no to yes in the ini file (to see if the Kobo was reading it). And, as expected, I now have night mode on all the time. I tried setting it to 5% brightness to see if it would change back, but it doesn't.

I'm going to leave it like that and see if I can enjoy daytime reading in night mode.

In the meantime, any ideas as to WHY the toggle won't work? Is there something else in there that needs to be changed for the KA1 versus the H20 2017?

Thanks again!
Old 08-22-2017, 01:43 PM   #39
melodyh

Bump... Anyone? ☺️
Old 10-10-2017, 03:34 PM   #40
MarkPhil
MarkPhil began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
For what it's worth, I can't seem to trigger night mode at all on my H20 2017, running the same firmware version as melodyh (4.5.9587). I followed the recommended steps, but no luck with either using a brightness percentage toggle or setting invertActive to yes.

Oddly enough, it worked fine on my device when I implemented the hack a couple months ago. Then I had to do a factory reset on account of a corrupted database, and now I can't get it working (I made a note of the firmware version before the reset, and it was the same, so there haven't been any updates in the meantime that broke night mode).

Seems like there's just an element of randomness to whether it will work or not. But if anyone has suggestions for further troubleshooting steps, I'd love to hear them.

Last edited by MarkPhil; 10-10-2017 at 03:48 PM.
MarkPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:30 AM   #41
the_Pan
Connoisseur
the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Forma, Pocketbook Era
I'm stuck in the same place with my KA1. if I set invert active to yes, the nightmode works, but does not switch between the states, no matter what settings I use.

EDIT: still not working with latest fw 4.6.9995

Last edited by the_Pan; 10-15-2017 at 03:26 PM.
the_Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:08 PM   #42
ebok
ebok began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Just got a KA1 and it's on the latest firmware. Any luck on making this work? Cheers!
ebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:22 PM   #43
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebok View Post
Just got a KA1 and it's on the latest firmware. Any luck on making this work? Cheers!
If you don't mind having the screen always inverted, the easiest way is to add the following lines to the "Kobo eReader.conf" file (located in the .kobo\Kobo directory):

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
InvertScreen=true
Usual caveat about using a end of line sensitive editor under Windows (Notepad++ is my choice). If the FeatureSettings header is not there copy both lines, otherwise copy the InvertScreen=true line into the FeatureSettings section.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:26 AM   #44
stanlefor
Connoisseur
stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: kobo touch
Well, still no clue with a working switch method for KA1?
Tried a modified nightmod with fmon switch, but it corrupts the database :/
stanlefor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:47 AM   #45
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm not at all sure how the night mode can corrupt the database. I expect it's more likely that fmon is responsible.

Can you detail how you installed things?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote