Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > Android Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
nightboy
Connoisseur
nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: NST, Boyue T62
[Guide][Root & MOD]Icarus Illumina (E653) AND Boyue T61+T62

Please install at your own risk as I am not responsible for the damage you may cause to your own device.

1- How to root your device & Install Google Play Store:

Quote:
1-Install the ADB Driver (Read "How to install the Device & ADB Driver " below)
2-Download T6x Toolkit
3-Extract the zip file and run main.bat
4-Select Rooting your device or Install Root Master
5-Select Installing Google Play store
6-Reboot your device.
7-Run SuperSU app
8-Press "Continue" Button
9-Press "Normal" Button
10-Press "OK" Button

Tip: Install Nova Launcher if you could not find SuperSU and Play Store apps after installation.

2-How to Install Incompatible Apps from Google Play Store
Thanks to redphx
Quote:
1-Install MarketHelper using the toolkit
2-Open MarketHelper & Select the device ( Samsung S3) ( dont change operator settings)
3-Press "Activate" & wait for it to finish.
4-Press "Google dashboard" link in the message box (you wont be able to see all text)
5-Your web browser will open the link. Login into your Google Account & click "Manage active devices" link.
6-Open "Play Store" app and enjoy!!.

3- How to Install the Device & Adb Driver (Win 7 & Win 8)

Quote:
1-Install Adb in your PC
The Easiest Way to Install Android's ADB and Fastboot Tools on Any OS
2-Download Release_DriverAssitant.zip from the attachments
3-Unzip the file.
4-Run DriveInstall.exe and install the driver.
5-Open C:\Users\[user name]\.andriod\adb_usb.ini file (notepad)
6-Add the following line at the end of the file
Code:
0x2207; 0x0010
6- Run "adb kill-server"
7- Connect your device and run "adb devices" (you should see your device).
4- How to get adb access under linux by tuxor
Quote:
Link
5- How to update your device
Quote:
Notes:
1#Dont change the content of update's zip file & charge your device before installing the update (at least 50%).
2#You will have to root your device again after updating in order to reinstall Google Play store.
3#You must figure out which device you are using before installing the update.

1-Download the update file :
Code:
A)Icarus E653 
Downlaod Link

C)Boyue T61C 
Download Link

D)Boyue T62C
Download Link

E)Boyue T61B 
Download Link

F)Boyue T62B 
Download Link

G)Boyue T61D 
Download Link

G)Boyue T62D 
Download Link
2-Connect your device to your computer
3-Rename the update file to update.zip
4-Copy update.zip to your device. (root directory of internal sdcard)
5-Disconnect your device and wait to see an update popup message.
6-Confirm the update and wait for it to finish.
7-Delete update.zip after updating.

6- How to unbrick your device
Quote:
1-Install device's Driver (Read "How to Install Device & Adb Driver").
2-Download RKBatchTool.zip from the attachments
3-Download your device's IMG file
Quote:

Note: Before installing the IMG file, you must determine which device you are using (is it a "C" or "B" or "D" device ?)

1) T61C 's IMG
Downlaod Link

2) T61B 's IMG
Downlaod Link

3) T62C 's IMG
Downlaod Link

4) T62B 's IMG
Downlaod Link

5) T62D's IMG
Downlaod Link
4-Unzip RKBatchTool.zip and run RKBatchTool.exe
5-Turn off your device by pressing & holding the power button for 10 sec.
6-Press and hold Refresh Button.
7-Connect the USB cable to your device after holding the Refresh Button for 7-8 sec.
8-Keep holding the refresh button for few seconds until you see the green box in RKBatchTool (like the picture below)

8-Select the IMG file.
9-Click "Upgrade" button and wait for it to finish (your device should reboot).
Note:Rockchip batch tool might not recognize your device! a solution by converso
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RKBatchTool.jpg
Views:	37763
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	128828  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Release_DriverAssitant.zip (9.25 MB, 7898 views)
File Type: zip RKBatchTool_v1.7.zip (1.44 MB, 4501 views)
File Type: zip T6x_Ereader_toolsKit.zip (17.07 MB, 9248 views)

Last edited by nightboy; 07-03-2016 at 01:44 PM. Reason: update
nightboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:50 AM   #2
luby
luby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.luby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.luby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.luby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boeye T62
Did you manage to get Ivona TTS working, or any other TTS software that would work with any e-book reader software? I ordered my T62 last night but it had some weird note that only 'online e-book reading supports TTS at present' and that 'full TTS will work in the future by way of firmware update'.
luby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #3
nightboy
Connoisseur
nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luby View Post
Did you manage to get Ivona TTS working, or any other TTS software that would work with any e-book reader software? I ordered my T62 last night but it had some weird note that only 'online e-book reading supports TTS at present' and that 'full TTS will work in the future by way of firmware update'.
Yes, Ivona TTS is working. (tested on Moon+ Reader & Mantano reader). you can also install other tts app.

tip: the voice app for Ivona TTS is big (~150mb). you shoud move it (app2sd,link2sd, .. etc) to sdcard to save some space for other apps.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:14 AM   #4
menelic
Enthusiast
menelic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T2
Thanks for this! In the otehr thread you said:

Quote:
keep in mind, there is an update for t62. So, you should update your device before rooting & installing play store.
As I m on the fence wether or not I should buy a T62 (not sure about EU warranty if banggood ships from NL) or an Icarus Illumina (I d prefer the audio and better batery of the T62, but don't feel like arduous and costly return issues in case there is any fault with the T62), I d like to ask you to please share some details about that update, as that could tilt the scales in favour of the T62: Is the T62 software update the same as the recent Icarus Illumina update, which provided better font size choices and :

"New user interface for the pop up Reading Menu.The taskbar is now in the top of the screen. By default the GoTo Page function is opened and by pressing the icons in the bottom of the screen you can adjust page settings (a.o. font) and screen rotation (etc)"

More infos on that update here: http://www.totalereaders.com/icarus/...se%20Notes.pdf

Also: Did you try the Good eReader Appstore on the device? It touts a dedicated section for apps that are designed to run well on e-Ink: http://apps.goodereader.com/

thanks in advance!

Last edited by menelic; 09-08-2014 at 05:19 AM. Reason: additional question, typos
menelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #5
popolito56
popolito56 began at the beginning.

Device: T61 Boyue
Hello,

Ower of the T61 version, I tried the root method many times unfortunately:
- root master works and then finaly,
- I validate with the right button.
when it reboots through 3 s on power button, then restart, I never see the superuser app.

What's wrong ? The model ?

Is there an other way ?

Thanks
popolito56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
nightboy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by menelic View Post
Thanks for this!
As I m on the fence wether or not I should buy a T62 (not sure about EU warranty if banggood ships from NL) or an Icarus Illumina (I d prefer the audio and better batery of the T62, but don't feel like arduous and costly return issues in case there is any fault with the T62), I d like to ask you to please share some details about that update, as that could tilt the scales in favour of the T62: Is the T62 software update the same as the recent Icarus Illumina update, which provided better font size choices and :

"New user interface for the pop up Reading Menu.The taskbar is now in the top of the screen. By default the GoTo Page function is opened and by pressing the icons in the bottom of the screen you can adjust page settings (a.o. font) and screen rotation (etc)"

thanks in advance!
I bought mine from banggood and have not seen any problem in the device.
Though, some are having issues
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=245925

Honestly, I was waiting for boox i86 and was not going to buy this device. But, t62's price & specifications changed my mind (fast cpu & gpu (2x faster t68 & m96), 8gb, large battery, sound port & USB OTG).

Anyway, the latest T62 update has all these new features. (Note: E653's updates work on T61).

Quote:
Originally Posted by popolito56 View Post
Hello,

Ower of the T61 version, I tried the root method many times unfortunately:
- root master works and then finaly,
- I validate with the right button.
when it reboots through 3 s on power button, then restart, I never see the superuser app.

What's wrong ? The model ?

Is there an other way ?

Thanks
this is the original tutorial: (try it again)
amongtech.com/root-android-device-without-computer/

Also, try installing Superuser manually after rooting your device.

E653 & Boyue T61+T62 are using the same kernel. So, this rooting method should work on all of them.

I think there are many ways to root your device. For example, you might install the adb driver & then try kingoapp .

Last edited by nightboy; 09-20-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #7
iakovl
Connoisseur
iakovl began at the beginning.

Device: none
where to get latest rom?
iakovl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #8
pratik
pratik began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue T62
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightboy View Post
Hi,

I have got my T62 recently and I decided to share my experience and knowledge with you.

Please install at your own risk as I am not responsible for the damage you may cause to your own device.

1- How to root your device:

2- How to Install Google Play Store

3- How to Install Device & Adb Driver (Win 7 & Win 8)
Awesome work bro. I have a very good mind of buying the T62 now. Can I request you to post a review as to how stable everything is. The play store and all.
If you can please do post a detailed youtube video.
Can you also check if I can attach my PS2 mechanical keyboard via OTG (Micro USB to USB to PS2 adapter).
Thanks and Cheers!!!
pratik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:56 AM   #9
nightboy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakovl View Post
where to get latest rom?
check out the Chinese website that I posted on E653 topic.
E653's roms could be used in T61.
It is easy to create a custom rom for this device but it is difficult to find mods or apps for android e-ink devices. Not to mentioned the fact that we are missing the kernel source code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratik View Post
Awesome work bro. I have a very good mind of buying the T62 now. Can I request you to post a review as to how stable everything is. The play store and all.
If you can please do post a detailed youtube video.
Can you also check if I can attach my PS2 mechanical keyboard via OTG (Micro USB to USB to PS2 adapter).
Thanks and Cheers!!!
I think it is impossible to post a complete review of this device (many reading apps could be installed). In terms of stability, I have not got force close or errors messages in apps that I have installed. However, after freezing some stock rom's apps, other stock rom's apps stopped working. It did not bother me because I am not going to use them anyway.
I have also installed many system apps (xposed,firewall,atuostart,Disable Service, ........) and modified system files (like build.prop) and have not seen any problems.
Overall, everything is working fine with me.

GoodeReader & The eBook Reader have posted several videos for E653. You should watch them.

Unfortunately, I dont have a Micro USB OTG Adapter to test the otg driver ( /sys/bus/platform/drivers/usb20_otg/force_usb_mode ) .
Old 09-13-2014, 03:45 AM   #10
iakovl
Connoisseur
iakovl began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
In terms of stability, I have not got force close or errors messages in apps that I have installed. However, after freezing some stock rom's apps, other stock rom's apps stopped working. It did not bother me because I am not going to use them anyway.
I have also installed many system apps (xposed,firewall,atuostart,Disable Service, ........) and modified system files (like build.prop) and have not seen any problems.
care to share apps and the build.prop changes that you made

and yes, the lack of eink apps is a problem, hope moon+ might have an option, really like that reader even the the stock reader and book browser are really good, only problem is that the font size is set by book and not global
iakovl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #11
pratik

Quote:
check out the Chinese website that I posted on E653 topic.
E653's roms could be used in T61.
It is easy to create a custom rom for this device but it is difficult to find mods or apps for android e-ink devices. Not to mentioned the fact that we are missing the kernel source code.

I think it is impossible to post a complete review of this device (many reading apps could be installed). In terms of stability, I have not got force close or errors messages in apps that I have installed. However, after freezing some stock rom's apps, other stock rom's apps stopped working. It did not bother me because I am not going to use them anyway.
Overall, everything is working fine with me.

GoodeReader & The eBook Reader have posted several videos for E653. You should watch them.

Unfortunately, I dont have a Micro USB OTG Adapter to test the otg driver ( /sys/bus/platform/drivers/usb20_otg/force_usb_mode ) .

Actually I have seen all the videos on them. The thing id they are all of the T61. And that too of the pure stock experience. Is there to difference at all between both of them except for the large battery and the headphone jack?

I could find no video of the T62. Please see of you could find the time to make one. Or write about one in-depth hacked experience.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #12
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Here is how to get adb access under linux. (You don't need a special version of adb or something like this. It's as easy as telling adb that the connected device is in fact an Android device that will support adb.)

1. Connect the device to your computer and check with lsusb or dmesg which vendor ID the reader has. Unfortunately lsusb output might be a bit confusing. The Icarus E653 shows up without any name or description:
Code:
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 2207:0010
Whereas in dmesg it will show up like this:
Code:
[ 3152.457286] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=2207, idProduct=0010
[ 3152.457295] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=4
[ 3152.457302] usb 2-1: Product: rk30sdk
[ 3152.457307] usb 2-1: Manufacturer: Icarus
However, the point is to extract the vendor ID, which is in this case 2207!

2. Disconnect the ereader, edit (or create) with root permissions /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules by adding:
Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2207", MODE="0666"
3. Restart udev, which might be something like "/etc/init.d/udev restart" or on some distributions "systemctl restart systemd-udevd.service && systemctl restart systemd-udev-trigger.service && systemctl restart systemd-udev-settle.service" (requires root privileges).

4. Edit (or create) ~/.android/adb_usb.ini and add the vendor ID on a new line in the following format:
Code:
0x2207
Make sure that this line is not already contained in that file!

5. Now run "adb kill-server" and connect the reader. After that it should show up in "adb devices" and adb should work as usual.

Remark: The above procedure is a standard procedure that can be used with many different Android devices. In this case adb-access is also sufficient for rooting the devices because "adb remount" is not prohibited...

Last edited by tuxor; 09-13-2014 at 09:18 PM.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #13
nightboy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakovl View Post
care to share apps and the build.prop changes that you made

and yes, the lack of eink apps is a problem, hope moon+ might have an option, really like that reader even the the stock reader and book browser are really good, only problem is that the font size is set by book and not global
there many ways to tweak your device performance & battery life using build.prop

I have not done many changes to build.prop (testing battery life) but added the following:
Quote:
pm.sleep_mode=1
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=180
adding or changing variables in build.prop could be useful sometime but you have to test these modifications.

You can also run init.d scripts. Just create an init.d directory , add your scripts to it and modify install_recovery.sh to run these scripts (dont forget chmod 777).

For example, I am using the following script to reduce the number of app running in the background:
Quote:
echo 3932,6553,14418,34079,38011,40632 > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree
Also, I have installed Autostart, Disable Service & Greenify ( Xposed module) to stop many apps from running in the background (improve performance & battery life).

You can install a firewall app (I am using afwall) to stop some apps from sending & receiving useless data like ads( also improve battery life).

Beside these apps, I have installed another Xposed module called "App Settings". App Settings is an excellent app that can change your apps' font's size and DPI (A MUST HAVE APP) .
These are all system's applications I am using right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratik View Post
Actually I have seen all the videos on them. The thing id they are all of the T61. And that too of the pure stock experience. Is there to difference at all between both of them except for the large battery and the headphone jack?

I could find no video of the T62. Please see of you could find the time to make one. Or write about one in-depth hacked experience.
There are no differences between T61 & T62 except larger battery & headphone jack.
I found few videos at (youku.com) for T62.
I will post my test for the battery life soon.

Last edited by nightboy; 09-13-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:29 PM   #14
pratik

Quote:
There are no differences between T61 & T62 except larger battery & headphone jack.
I found few videos at (youku.com) for T62.
I will post my test for the battery life soon.
Oh awesome. I'll have a look right away. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #15
tappet
tappet began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue T62, Rooted
Does anyone have a copy of the Icarus firmware update? The link at icarusreader.com is returning a 404 error.
tappet is offline   Reply With Quote