Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Remind me how to disable auto-run?

I've gotten away with not having the Sony Library software on my new computer for a while now. But a local library just started offering Overdrive, so I guess I need to bite the bullet and install the damn thing to move things from ADE onto the device? On my old computer, I remember I had done something simple to disable that auto-run that drove me nuts whenever I pludded the reader in. But my search skills are failing me (and as I recall, it took me a while to find it in the first place!)

I'm running Windows XP. Any help would be appreciated. Speak slowly.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I don't think you have to have the Sony software installed to use Overdrive. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.) I believe ADE will see your Sony Reader when you plug it in and authorize it for you.

In the newest version of the Sony Software, there is an option that you can choose so that the software will not automatically run whenever you plug in your reader. I'm not at my computer with the Sony Reader software on it right now so can't tell you exactly where that option is, but it wasn't hard to find.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
You can either use ADE or the Sony Library for Overdrive.

I have the Sony Library on my machine, but not ADE.

Just remember to Open the book, not Save it, when the dialog box asks. It's counterintuitive.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I don't think you have to have the Sony software installed to use Overdrive. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.) I believe ADE will see your Sony Reader when you plug it in and authorize it for you.

In the newest version of the Sony Software, there is an option that you can choose so that the software will not automatically run whenever you plug in your reader. I'm not at my computer with the Sony Reader software on it right now so can't tell you exactly where that option is, but it wasn't hard to find.

dordale
ADE doesn't seem to recognize my Reader. Is there a way to "make it" do so?

I'm a bit out of touch, is the newest Sony library software something I can download from Sony, or what? If I can get the ADE to recognoize my reader without it, I think I'd be fine, though.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do a search for "Authorize reader" -- there is a key sequence on the computer, something like Alt+Shift+E. Sorry I don't recall it off the top of my head.
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 02:25 AM   #6
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
ADE doesn't seem to recognize my Reader. Is there a way to "make it" do so?

I'm a bit out of touch, is the newest Sony library software something I can download from Sony, or what? If I can get the ADE to recognoize my reader without it, I think I'd be fine, though.
ADE) Start ADE, Plugin Reader, use Ctrl-Shift-D to authorize or Ctrl-Shift-E to de-authorize. ADE will ask for the device to use.

Sony) The latest version of the Sony library will ask you to authorize for ADE the first time you try to copy a DRM book to your reader.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
ziegl027
Addict

Thanks for all the help, but it's still not working. Looking at the Adobe forums, it says that ADE uses Sony's library software in some way to communicate with the Reader. I have been unable to get ADE to recognize the existence of my Reader at all, much less authorize. I'm going to go ahead and install the Sony software.

SOOOO, back to my original question. How do I disable autorun so it doesn't try to open the Sony library software every time I plug the darn thing in?
Old 10-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
ziegl027
Addict

Nevermind....

In the words of Emily Letilla, "Oh, that's very different. Nevermind."

I installed the Sony Library, got my device authorized by ADE, and unchecked the box in SL's preferences telling it to bugoff starting automatically when I plug in.

I'll letcha know if that doesn't work.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Glad to hear you got it working!