Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-03-2021, 09:55 PM   #76
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

Sorry for the false alarm.
Well not totally false, a half truth.

If I set the interface language to French the Quick Switch and Create/switch library items are disabled, but when I reset it back to English they are reinstated - probably something to do with the Choose Library label changing to the current library name.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:05 AM   #77
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Basically, that's how I would expect FM to work in this case.

Calibre doesn't provide a unique (non-translated) name for those actions and FM stores them as text in the JSON. You can't set keyboard shortcuts to Quick Switch and Create/switch library either.

I don't think this can be fixed without changes to Calibre and FM.
JimmXinu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:21 PM   #78
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Basically, that's how I would expect FM to work in this case.

Calibre doesn't provide a unique (non-translated) name for those actions and FM stores them as text in the JSON. You can't set keyboard shortcuts to Quick Switch and Create/switch library either.

I don't think this can be fixed without changes to Calibre and FM.
Now I know what's going on I'm not too concerned about getting it fixed, it's a far edge case. But what about popping a message for 'unreachable' options, or simply dropping them.

And, capink has started a related thread in the Development sub-forum as this also effect his Action China plugin.

BR
Old 03-04-2021, 03:01 PM   #79
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Arguably, FM already is showing it by disabling those options.

I see the thread by capink, that's a workable solution (probably--does Kovid's suggestion work in the case of translated plugins?)

But because existing non-English users have saved settings with their translated strings, FM would need to add a schema version (Reading Lists, for example, already has one) and change previously saved settings to 'canonical' strings. Which if done incorrectly could destroy people's settings.

It's a fairly obscure corner case that only came up in testing, not actual use. And FM has been working this long as-is. Plus, my understanding of FM is rather shallow. So while I'll think about it, I'm hesitant to make changes for this.

(If there are users out there that this is a real-world problem for, I'll consider it a lot more seriously.)
Old 03-05-2021, 06:16 AM   #80
capink
Wizard
capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I see the thread by capink, that's a workable solution (probably--does Kovid's suggestion work in the case of translated plugins?)
Kovid's solution is working for me now. I have modified the FM plugin and tested it between two languages and so far it is working without problems. It just needs more testing to make sure everything is OK. Here is link for the updated version if you or anyone else is interested in testing it out.

Quote:
But because existing non-English users have saved settings with their translated strings, FM would need to add a schema version (Reading Lists, for example, already has one) and change previously saved settings to 'canonical' strings. Which if done incorrectly could destroy people's settings.
I am not sure this needs to be done, given how rare this is going to be. I think it easier to tell people who might have this problem to just delete the entries and re-add them while using the updated version. That is what I am going to do in my plugin.
capink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:27 PM   #81
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

FWIW & IMO - for the FM plugin, the language flipping issue is very far edge, hence not worthy of a new release. I don't use the Action Chain plugin so I won't comment on it.

However, the manner of dealing with 'invalid' menu items does warrant consideration. At the moment 'invalid items' are 'greyed out', however I find 'greyed out' items difficult to see in Dark Mode, the text remains bright white but with what might be a shadow effect. Not all items that can be added to FM have an icon, e.g. Choose Library->Quick Switch, hence that the icon is also missing is irrelevant.

How might an item become invalid?
  • Because it refers to a plugin that the user has removed;
  • Because the selected item label changed:
    • Either in the calibre base e.g. the recent removal of the three trailing dots in Create/switch library...;
    • Or in a optional plugin's item options menu, as occured in the View Manager a while back.
My preference would be that the 'invalid items' be dropped, with a short-lived message in the status line e.g. "FM items removed, use the Configuration tool to rectify". But having discovered the anomaly I'm unlikely to get bamboozled by it again, so… whatever.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-05-2021 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Add last para
Old 03-05-2021, 08:28 PM   #82
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

capink's code looks fine (aside from overuse of temp variables, IMO).

But again, my understanding of FM is relatively shallow and I'm not comfortable with this unless it's been thoroughly tested. And I'm not particularly interested in doing that testing myself.

Disabled options not being visible in Dark Mode isn't really FM's fault--that's Dark Mode or Calibre or Qt in some combination.

It's not difficult to append '(not found)' or something to the displayed text and/or set a specific icon to disabled menu entries--although color is lost due to being disabled; and the 'standard' icons included in Calibre can be changed by Calibre icon themes.

Or instead of being disabled, invalid actions could pop a dialog reporting they are invalid now. And have specific icon.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:37 PM   #83
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
possibly related: "Show marked books" on the FM also greys out due to the text changes. I dont think anybody actually uses that though. I had trouble with it on Action Chains too.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:47 PM   #84
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Currently, is it possible to make custom submenus for the Favourites menu? Mine is getting rather lengthy.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:52 PM   #85
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

No, it isn't. You can add entries that lead to existing menus, but that's about it.

Calibre's configuration for menus & toolbars doesn't allow for custom submenus either.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:08 AM   #86
Rida
Rida began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Talking

This OP is absolutely brilliant. And so are you, frankly. I presumably read it years ago when I first downloaded this but I'd forgotten about it.

Brilliant plugin. Thanks, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Are you…
  • Running out of screen space on your toolbar from adding plugins?
  • Always forgetting where that xyz calibre feature is located?
  • Tired of navigating deep into some menu hierarchy?
  • Wanting a menu that you can control what order things appear on, and what they are called?
  • Looking to change your life?
Now with with the patent pending all-singing and dancing Favourites Menu plugin you can build your own menu on a button! Wow!

Here are some testimonials from our actors customers:

“Every time I want the eject option for my Kindle from calibre, I can never click on that silly side arrow, it is just too darn small. Especially after a few drinks - not that I ever do of course. But thanks to kiwidude I can now have it right there on the big ol’ Favourites button just a little clickey clickey away. Cheers!”

”Well I have just about every plugin kiwidude has written. Keep them right here next to my jar of toenail clippings since 1974. But as much as I love them all, I just can’t see them on my 3.5” screen. Now I have just one button to put all of them on – I call it calibre on a button. Thanks dude!”

”I switch libraries – a lot. But every time I open the Library menu they are in a different order. My brain just couldn’t cope, it made me want to cry. But now thanks to Favourites Menu I can have just the libraries I use the most always in the same place. So that’s less time searching, and more time spent keeping my kids out of jail. Thanks kiwidude!”

”I add books using an option from the dropdown on the toolbar button. But last time I dropped it down I sprained my neck reading the description, it was so damn long on screen. I had to take a month off work, the company closed, we lost the house and my wife left me. Thanks to the Favourites Menu plugin though I can have my own ‘Add books’ menu option so it won’t happen again. You’ve literally saved my life!”

Rida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 04:37 PM   #87
DyckBook
Morlock
DyckBook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DyckBook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DyckBook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DyckBook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DyckBook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DyckBook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DyckBook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DyckBook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DyckBook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DyckBook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DyckBook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Favourites menu name spelling change

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
That's why I posted the image so folks could see a different set of possibilities in full context. Of course to us Yankees the extra u in favorites looks a little strange so I went ahead and changed mine. Hope you don't mind.
@DoctorOhh Would you mind telling me how you changed the spelling? I use Favourites for a single purpose and would like to change the name to match.
DyckBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 09:06 PM   #88
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Test Version

2022-01-11

- Changes for upcoming Qt6 Calibre
- Fix Icon scaling in FM config

This version contains changes necessary for the upcoming Qt6 Calibre version.

Icon display/scaling has been broken since Calibre v3(?!) came out? At least for icons other than 32x32.

The code still says backward compatible to v0.8, but I'm v2.85.1 is the oldest version I keep around. Unless some one else wants to test it against older versions, I will be changing the minimum_calibre_version to 2.85.1.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 01-20-2022 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete test version
Old 01-11-2022, 09:46 PM   #89
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
The code still says backward compatible to v0.8, but I'm v2.85.1 is the oldest version I keep around. Unless some one else wants to test it against older versions, I will be changing the minimum_calibre_version to 2.85.1.
FTR: Not working in 1.48 Portable

calibre, version 1.48.0
ERROR: Must restart: You must restart calibre before you can configure the <b>Favourites Menu</b> plugin

No matter how many times I restart, stop/start.

I do NOT need it to work in version 1.xx.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-12 134327.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	191535  
Old 01-11-2022, 10:05 PM   #90
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

v2.85.1 it is then!

Thanks for checking.