Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 08:20 AM   #1
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
name calling policy and keeping things civil guidelines?

It seems to me that name calling is now allowed, except for the specific case of calling or inferring that someone is a troll.

From the guide lines:

Quote:
... Name calling is not permitted, even in the form of a question, e.g. "X's posts make me wonder how much he believes what he's saying, or if he's just a troll." ...
I've seen the troll rule enforced.

From the political guidelines:

Quote:
...Joining this usergroup means you wish to access our new Politics and Religion forum section and that you agree that you can handle the discussions that take place there in a mature and respectable manner. It goes without saying that our guidelines in terms of discussing things politely still apply. ...
And a post from the Politics and religion forum that has me questioning the policy:

[deleted a (redacted) copy of apost from P&R forum.]
To me this doesn't appear to be polite and is name calling.

So what is the rule on name calling? Am I allowed to say someone is "stupid"? "too stupid"? "too stupid like someone who is not a member of MR"?

I am not looking for opinions from members; I would like a ruling from the mods please so I know what is acceptable behavior.

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-22-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:09 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I am not looking for opinions from members; I would like a ruling from the mods please so I know what is acceptable behavior.
Thread locked.
Advert
Old 02-22-2020, 04:09 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The official MobileRead position is as follows:

Quote:
1. Discuss Things Politely

Our members have developed a strong, constructive online community. To help maintain this friendly, supportive atmosphere, we ask that you follow these standards of politeness.

MobileRead is intended to be a family-safe and work-safe website. Please post accordingly.

Do attempt to state your point of view in a way that avoids misunderstanding. Remember that we are an international community and not all members are posting in their first language.

When things get controversial please disagree with the opinion, not the person.

Try to be sensitive to others when you post, and tolerant of others when you read their posts.

A rude comment is still rude, even if you follow it with a smiley, "just kidding" or "I'm only joking" or "This is meant to be humorous."

Avoid excessive emphasis. Typing in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS is considered yelling or shouting. Capitalizing (or using bold) for rare occasions when emphasis is required is OK, but use it judiciously.

Deliberately provoking other members is prohibited. Members who post provocative or inflammatory posts will be warned. Persistent offenders may be banned.

Name calling is not permitted, even in the form of a question, e.g. "X's posts make me wonder how much he believes what he's saying, or if he's just a troll."

MobileRead reserves the right to limit discussion that is outside the realm of good taste, or uses foul or hateful language. We won't tolerate any form of hate-speech.

Remember that you can use the "ignore" function to ignore a member whose posts irritate you, but you must not announce in open forum that you have done so.
In the case of P&R:
Quote:
When Things go Wrong
Anything that needs moderator attention should be sent in a private message (PM) to one of the moderators below.

The report button does not work in this section!

Available moderators: pdurrant, issybird, poohbear_nc (on call), Jellby (on call)
[/list]
Old 02-22-2020, 04:11 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

In short, if you think one member is being rude about another member, report it to a moderator.
Closed Thread