Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-07-2017, 11:16 AM   #26371
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Interesting - thanks for explaining .
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #26372
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 4 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Yesterday I started and finished the newest Walt Longmire Mystery, The Western Star by Craig Johnson. 4.5 Stars
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #26373
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I've been cleaning and baking all day and have listened to almost the entirety of Colm Toibin's House of Names. I will finish it this afternoon. It has been a most unique experience.

From The Guardian review:

Quote:
Rather than turning human-sized stories into myths, Tóibín sets out to humanise the myths of the house of Atreus: of Agamemnon and his wife Clytemnestra, their son Orestes and daughters Iphigenia and Electra, protagonists of the Iliad and of subtly different plays by Aeschylus and Euripides.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #26374
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I've been cleaning and baking all day and have listened to almost the entirety of Colm Toibin's House of Names. I will finish it this afternoon. It has been a most unique experience.

From The Guardian review:
I have it on my TBR. Thank you for the reminder. I must move it up in the queue. The first pages are very arresting.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:46 PM   #26375
Panchax
Connoisseur
Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glowlight
Just finished Les Miserables. Waiting for the Hunchback of Notre Dame (going to the library for a 'real' book). Someone really needs to write an adaption for Les Miserables to put it into a Tolkienesque universe... Jean Valjean as a Balrog, Cosette and Marius elves, Fauchevelaunt and Javert humans... Thernardier I don't even know of a fantasy that could fit him, maybe invent a new one. The book really has something the fantasy genre is missing and needs.
Panchax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:26 AM   #26376
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchax View Post
Just finished Les Miserables. Waiting for the Hunchback of Notre Dame (going to the library for a 'real' book). Someone really needs to write an adaption for Les Miserables to put it into a Tolkienesque universe... Jean Valjean as a Balrog, Cosette and Marius elves, Fauchevelaunt and Javert humans... Thernardier I don't even know of a fantasy that could fit him, maybe invent a new one. The book really has something the fantasy genre is missing and needs.
I haven't read this though I've seen a movie version. Interesting idea!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:12 PM   #26377
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S7 Edge and Galaxy Tab 4 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
FYI, there's a third book in the series now. Found out when I saw the short-term giveaway on Nobody Gets the Girl.
Thanks. I did see that when I picked up the first two books, but promptly forgot/ The second book is memorable enough for me to spend the $4 for the third one (Covenant).
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #26378
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did finish House of Names by Colm Tóibín and (finally) finished Too Like the Lightning by Ada Palmer on my Kobo.

I enjoyed House of Names quite a bit. I'm not sure how I feel about Too Like the Lightning. I'm not sure I like what the author did with gender and gender roles. I much more appreciated Ann Leckie's handling of gender in the Ancillary series. I will grant Palmer this, though - she had some really nice imagery and prose.

I am now starting the audio of Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope and reading an actual paper back from the library - Maurizio de Giovanni's I Will Have Vengeance.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:47 AM   #26379
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air, Samsung Galaxy J7, & an iPod Nano.
I just started The Science of Superstition: How the Developing Brain Creates Supernatural Beliefs by Bruce M. Hood. The good news is that so far it looks as if I'm going to enjoy this one quite a bit. The bad news is that it was formally known as SuperSense: How the Developing Brain Creates Supernatural Beliefs, which I had also purchased under that name and had in my TBR list.

Oh well. I'm made of money. At least, that's what some in my family think.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:29 PM   #26380
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S7 Edge and Galaxy Tab 4 7.0
Finished The Gift: The Butterfly Effect, Book 1 by Margaret McHeyzer. Undecided on pursuing book 2...
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:44 AM   #26381
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
...and reading an actual paper back from the library - Maurizio de Giovanni's I Will Have Vengeance.
Finished the de Giovanni novel yesterday. The mystery was nothing special, but I enjoyed all of the characters. I found an interesting comparison between Comissar Ricciardi, who clearly cares little for the fascist government of Mussolini and Inspector Chen Cao and his discomfort with the Chinese regime. I read this in paperback from the library and will continue to the extent that they are available.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:49 PM   #26382
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Finished The Ruin of Angels, 6th and latest in Max Gladstone's The Craft Sequence, which apparently starts a new, more linear direction to the storytelling (previously written out of chronological sequence and numbered in the titles).

This one took us to a new city with interesting local geography and ensuing adapted culture, with some more detail on some specific God Wars backstory only previously hinted at. It was nice to see some established characters show up and interact, as well as meet new ones.

Unfortunately, the plot seemed to drag somewhat at first (some of the new characters were introduced in a side storyline which seemed to not have much to do with or be as compelling as the main plot). And there was rather more romantic relationship drama than I personally care for, though I acknowledge it's probably a useful additional motivator for prodding characters to less than sensible actions when family and friendship ties have already been invoked. And occasional characters setting up deliberate miscommunication and sabotaging each other and themselves by stubbornly withholding key information and expecting everyone to take everything purely on trust, instead of negotiating compromises like adults. But eventually everything got resolved reasonably well.

Aside from that, while I don't think I really liked it nearly as much as the previous novels (might get better on a re-read), it provided an entertaining look at the rather Lovecraftian-sounding Iskari squid god religion I'd been curious about, along with other aspects of the world, and set up some interesting possibilities for the future.
ATDrake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:30 AM   #26383
sydmalicious
Connoisseur
sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin, iPad Pro 12.9", iPhone 6s
Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?

Reading The God Delusion by Dawkins, Hounded: Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne, and Tools of Titans by Tim Ferris. Skipping around in that one. Really enjoying Iron Druid Chronicles so far. Listening to it in Audible has been a treat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
sydmalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #26384
seanyyz
Enthusiast
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Finished Sebastian Barry's Days Without End and Sunil Yapa's the Heart is a Muscle the Size of a Fist. Moved onto the Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne and am really enjoying it.
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #26385
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
I've been reading Faerie Tale by Raymond Feist. It's close enough to Halloween to start reading Horror books!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote