Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 05:09 AM   #46
Drop Bear
Enthusiast
Drop Bear began at the beginning.

Device: dr800sg
This new beta has changed my DR800 pretty good to nearly perfect. An inbuilt dictionary would be awesome as I study philosophy and they love to use complex language. Highlighting would also be good, well better than underlining. I will be interested to see the finished patch and how it handles zoom. A little more robustness would be good as has been commented on.

Oh and while you are at it, please put in full web browsing and hand writing recognition. OK? Good thanks.

Also, great to see how involved iRex is in making this product highly functional. I'm glad I spent the extra $$ on this over their competitors.
Drop Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:31 AM   #47
musteman
Enthusiast
musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: KOBO AURA ONE
Its great to see all these affords from Irex developers but I'm missing the possibility to change between different languages on the Irex DR800SG...

If the "european" Irex can do that and do not see why the "USA" Irex not....
musteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #48
Mr. X
Connoisseur
Mr. X is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex DR800SG
OK, so one thing I'm noticing is that with the screen flipped after a random period a redraw issue is showing up in epubs: after going forward or back one page the normal refresh occurs, but the top 25% or so of the screen is from the previous page. Opening and closing the menu causes another refresh and corrects it.

I'm going to reboot and leave it in normal portrait today and see if the same happens (bug with ADR and this book) or if it goes away (bug with only using xrandr call to flip the display). Awaiting the 2.0 sources to be published :-)
Mr. X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #49
akira28
Nameless Being

I have interest in the DR800. In this update is there a word search in books? What about annotations or highlighting in books?

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #50
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
I have interest in the DR800. In this update is there a word search in books? What about annotations or highlighting in books?
I believe the firmware always supported word search in books, even before this update. This update does add annotations for "static layout" documents (PDF), but not for "dynamic/reflow" ones (ePub).
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #51
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
It is really nice to see the IREX developers following the discussion in this forum, this new firmware release further justifies my choice of DR800SG over the Sony 900 and Kindle DX. Any way, I would like to share my feedback:

1. Indexing went OK, although I would prefer disabling the thumbnail generation by default.

2. Zoom: a lot of discussions already. I know margin cropping might be hard for V2, but at least address these issues:
2.1 "Fit width" by default when switching to landscape view.
2.2 In "pan" mode, enable the "continuous" view like the DR1000S does.
2.3 Fix the disconnecting content problem in "pan" mode using the flip bar.

3. Image based (scanned) PDFs take much longer when turning pages. I have never seen this message box with "wait" in the V1 firmware, now it is quite common.

4. Battery/power consumption. I noticed the battery consumption rate is faster with V2 than V1, both when the device is on and in standby mode. It is understandable when the device is on, maybe I am doing all sorts of testing (image based PDFs, zooming, panning, scribbling), but standby battery consumption regression is well worth noticing. Hopefully other people can chime in.

5. The "continue reading" and document zoom level is lost after rebooting.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #52
vakya
Connoisseur
vakya doesn't littervakya doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, IREX DR800, Kindle 3 y Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs View Post
Could you post the EPUB so we can debug it?
El que me da el fallo no lo puedo subir. Mientras consigo repetir el fallo en este que te subo, me da algunos problemas con la css:
* No sale el título del capítulo.
* No deja posicionar de forma absoluta (firma de tolstoy y logo de creative comons)
* La foto de Tolstoi sale muy pixelada. ¿de que puede ser?
-------------------
The ruling gives me I can not climb. While the decision to repeat it in this that you upload, it gives me some problems with the css:
* Do not get the title of the chapter.
* Do not leave in absolute position (firm Tolstoy and creative logo comons)
* The picture goes very pixelated Tolstoy. How could it be?
Attached Files
File Type: epub tolstoi-ilich.epub (250.3 KB, 187 views)
vakya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:05 AM   #53
Turquoise
Turquoise began at the beginning.

Device: Irex 800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Either that or pushing the bar moves down the page until it gets to the end, then a regular push goes to the next page (without having to do a long push).
I love the new sofware and I am sure IREX can still improve it.

I guess there are 3 possible moves that are not active now in the PAN mode. long push left, long push right and click on the bar. There are several possibilities.

1) by zooming to the 50% of the paper, there is no problem, with push right, you you go the end of the page and with click down or long push you can go to next page. Or cont. reading option would be nice too.
2) by zooming to the 25% of the paper, you can go down to the page but you will need to use stylus to go the top of the page to read the right hand side of the paper. My suggestion is that once you are at the end of the paper, with one more push you should be able to go to the top of the page to cont. reading for the other half of the paper. Again long push will take you to the next page regardles sof the position of the reading.
3) next page function should take you to the top of the next page. In the current firmware, you go to the bottom of the page.
4) When I re-open the document I does not recognize that I was using PAN option. I have to re-select it again.

I dont know how difficult it is to implement the flexible settings but may be all these functions should be defined/assigned by the user with a global settings.

I just downloaded papers form newsdirect and red them. The functions are great and the best reading exprerince ever. But I can only read the newspapers which have interactive menus. Others can not be displayed in the document. I am sure I can read the newspapers with the zoom fucntion even though they do not support interactive (+) layout.

My other concerns are:
1) Taking notes are not natural
2) Highliging pdf documents is a must for me. Underlying is not effective with the current hardware.
3) New icons on the bottom toolbar is a must: Pen, Ereaser, PAN and Zoom. of course current ones should be kept.
4)...

Thanks IREX
Turquoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:38 AM   #54
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I believe the firmware always supported word search in books, even before this update. This update does add annotations for "static layout" documents (PDF), but not for "dynamic/reflow" ones (ePub).
Ok, tanks, that answers my question.
No annotation for ePub, i'll keep on waiting
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:43 AM   #55
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
3. Image based (scanned) PDFs take much longer when turning pages. I have never seen this message box with "wait" in the V1 firmware, now it is quite common.
We've identified an issue where the reader does not use its (partially) pre-rendered results, which is triggered in slower documents such as scanned PDF's. It's on our list to fix.

Quote:
4. Battery/power consumption. I noticed the battery consumption rate is faster with V2 than V1, both when the device is on and in standby mode.
That should not be the case as we've tuned power management further to improve battery life. You're the first to report a shorter standby time. Do others see this?
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #56
Opensesame
Opensesame began at the beginning.

The two pdb ebooks which come with the DR800SG --- The Last of the Mohicans.pdb and Sense and Sensibility.pdb can not be viewed any more under 2.0 beta. Always counting pages ... and display nothing.
Opensesame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #57
Opensesame
Opensesame began at the beginning.

Also, the epub files will not re-count the pages when I change the font size. Txt files are OK.
Opensesame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #58
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opensesame View Post
The two pdb ebooks which come with the DR800SG --- The Last of the Mohicans.pdb and Sense and Sensibility.pdb can not be viewed any more under 2.0 beta. Always counting pages ... and display nothing.
This should increase the initial indexing time.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:29 AM   #59
roatto
roatto began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook 3Gen - iRex Iliad - DR800SG
Languages

well..also here in our forum in Italy ist much appreciated the work of iRex about the new firmware but I agree with "musteman" that we can not understood why irex don't improve on the Sg the language choice as in the S it's a datum of fact that the DR800SG is sold in many other countries that in USA, now we can choice only thanks to Mr. X that has developed a choice language file, please if someone of irex developers read that, take consideration about, have you seen how many customer are asking that?
thanks
roatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:40 AM   #60
X. Trapnel
Enthusiast
X. Trapnel began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad (broken screen! cry), x61t tablet
1. Can you copy the scribble files back to your computer, as with the iLiad?
2. (not a v2 question, but) when viewing PDFs, is there a 'full-screen' mode without menus, etc.?
Thanks!
X. Trapnel is offline   Reply With Quote