Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #16
musteman
Enthusiast
musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: KOBO AURA ONE
I forgot to ask, how exactly the selection zooms work??? I am experiencing some problems with the area selection....

Some easy-guide please..

Thanks,
musteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #17
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by musteman View Post
this update seems a very nice improvement but now i cannot read comics anymore!!!

When I use the great CBZ document Plugin this message appear:

"An unexpected error has occurrerd; your documents must be closed"

Any idea??? some other methods in order to read comics???

Thanks!!!
They're discussing this on the CBZ thread. My guess is that they'll need to update the 3rd party app so that it works with this firmware. Not sure what the exact bug is, but it'll probably be discussed over here...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75348
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #18
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Despite what I said on another thread about letting others who know what they are doing play with this first, I couldn't resist!

Have to say, I like what I've seen so far.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #19
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
@Mustaman, simple...
1) "click" the selection zoom from the menu
2) you'll see the selection zoom icon in the lower right corner of the titlebar
3) draw a circle around the area you want to zoom into

result: (after a please wait window, most of the time...)
you'll get a zoomed view of the area you circled
or
it will zoom to its maximum zoom level if, the area was too small

To get back, simply select the "zoom all" icon from the menu

By the way: if you don't get the zoom option in your menu, you can go to
settings => advanced settings
and check the "Zoom on PDF" option there
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #20
ahhahh
ahhahh began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR-800S, Sony PRS-505
Ummm, I think I just discovered a new little bug.

My battery was half-charged, so I thought it was a good moment to check if the 'no green led' bug was solved.

And it is.

But, if you remove the plug, the green led stays on (I've waited for more than 5 minutes) until you turn the reader on.

Nothing too serious, but worth mentioning.
ahhahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #21
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
I really like what I see so far. Thank you, iRex!

The Good
  • Selection zoom makes PDFs viable at last.
  • Scribbles! Though it'll take me time to get used to the small draw delay and sensitivity. My attempts at Chinese characters (kanji) were embarrassing.
The Not-So-Good
  • When a PDF is set to Pan, the two sections do not match up. That is, part of the document between the two pan sections isn't displayed.
  • In Books when I select a first letter on the right to go to that page, it doesn't always fully refresh (ugly halfway-drawn/erased text and icons). The first time it happened I thought the device froze.
  • Page turning, both in ePub and PDF, is slower than before if the page turned to has an image.

That's all for now.

Edit: Oh, one more thing. When panning a PDF, the flipbar goes from one pan section to the next but you can't get to the next page. Suggestion: have press-and-hold flipping actually turn to the next page while still in Pan mode. Also, I notice when I turn the page with stylus on the arrows, the pan section doesn't change. That is, if it's showing the bottom half of the page, when you go to the next page it's also showing the bottom half. I'd prefer it to go to the top when changing pages.

Last edited by Dellaster; 04-08-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #22
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellaster View Post
Page turning, both in ePub and PDF, is slower than before if the page turned to has an image.
How significant is it? I wonder if that has something to do with the dithering improvements they made to images?
Old 04-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #23
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
How significant is it? I wonder if that has something to do with the dithering improvements they made to images?
It can take several seconds. There was hardly any delay at all in the original firmware.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #24
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
Indexing and Metadata

I think I must be missing something. I have a lot of books on my iRex DR800SG and I just installed the beta upgrade. I expected it to take a very LONG time to index everything the first time. I have checked all the advanced settings. Well my indexing didn't take long but neither did it generate any thumbnails or use the metadata.

Did I miss something? I did get the indexing message. I also tried holding the power off for 10 seconds and it appeared to restart. All the new PDF functionality appears to work but I don't know how to see the book covers without actually opening a book once. Any comments?
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #25
Dellaster
本の虫

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjansen View Post
I think I must be missing something. I have a lot of books on my iRex DR800SG and I just installed the beta upgrade. I expected it to take a very LONG time to index everything the first time. I have checked all the advanced settings. Well my indexing didn't take long but neither did it generate any thumbnails or use the metadata.

Did I miss something? I did get the indexing message. I also tried holding the power off for 10 seconds and it appeared to restart. All the new PDF functionality appears to work but I don't know how to see the book covers without actually opening a book once. Any comments?
It didn't set the covers for me until I wiped the SD card, including metadata, and just added the books alone. That indexing took a few minutes (I have like 50 ePubs and half a dozen PDFs).
Old 04-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #26
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
It didn't set the covers for me until I wiped the SD card, including metadata, and just added the books alone. That indexing took a few minutes (I have like 50 ePubs and half a dozen PDFs).
First off, thanks, jjansen, for asking the question I wanted to ask (I too thought indexing was "automatic").

Actually, it kind of is. I added a new book to the Irex after installing the beta update (which I am w-a-y liking, BTW!). That new book DOES show the cover thumbnail and stuff - and I've never opened it. I assume, then, that it does the indexing on all newly added books.

So, guess it's delete/re-add books (all 250+!) for me...

Dellaster - did you do your SD card alone (put just the card in your PC)? I ask because my plan is to just do my genre folders one at a time - deleting the books in the folder and putting 'em back - all with my PC but accessing them on the DR800.

Regardless ... wish me luck!

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #27
Dellaster
本の虫

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
Dellaster - did you do your SD card alone (put just the card in your PC)? I ask because my plan is to just do my genre folders one at a time - deleting the books in the folder and putting 'em back - all with my PC but accessing them on the DR800.

Regardless ... wish me luck!

Marilyn
I suspect just deleting the metadata file will force a re-indexing. Anybody know?

As for me, I had crashed from the CBZ Document Plugin after installing the 2.0 beta so I decided to completely wipe the SD card (from my PC with the card in the DR800). I wanted a blank slate. I rebooted with the totally blank SD card and it installed the necessary System folder and a couple other things. I then added back the other folders that I had saved (Personal Documents, News, Images, Digital Editions, Books -- whatever wasn't already there). Once disconnected from my PC it indexed everything. Working fine.

Good luck on yours!
Old 04-08-2010, 05:19 PM   #28
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Heh - look at me, anwering my own post/question...

First, I have my books sorted by genre on the DR800 (Science Fiction, Fantasy, Action, etc).

I took one of the folders and copied it to my PC. Then, I changed the name of the folder (added a "1" at the end of the folder). Then, I put the folder back on the DR800 (didn't delete the other one).

NOTE: It doesn't work to just move the books around. Has to be at folder level (or, at least that's what I saw).

When I ejected the DR800 from my PC, it indexed that new folder and all the books in that folder now have the thumbnails showing. Unfortunately, if you were already reading a book in that folder, you've lost your place (trust me, I know this! ). Guess because it's a "new" add...

So, it's not going to be that bad to index all my books. Once I'm done, then I'll see how long it takes to index after ejecting from the PC.

Off to index!

Marilyn

P.S. Just notice your reply, Dellaster - thanks. Where might that metafile be? You talking the main one right in the first level of the DR800?

P.P.S. I really just have this DR800 to read books, which it was doing fine before the update. But dang! - it's way cool to have scribbling, zoom and (wait for it...) - GO TO PAGE function! Whoo-hoo! Now, can we just get unopened TOCs with a back function ...? <--- Never hurts to ask, eh?

Last edited by Mickey330; 04-08-2010 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Added comment/question to Dellaster
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #29
Dellaster
本の虫

I'm talking about the "global.db" at the base level. But maybe the ones inside folders need to be deleted as well. Regardless, congratulations on finding your own method.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #30
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
I'm talking about the "global.db" at the base level. But maybe the ones inside folders need to be deleted as well. Regardless, congratulations on finding your own method.
I believe iRex recommended in another thread on here that deleting the global.db will indeed force a re-indexing.