Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #46
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
I suppose if both devices were weighed very precisely, then the euro version should be lighter if it lacks the wireless component.
Assuming there are no other differences that would effect the weight.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #47
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
I suppose if both devices were weighed very precisely, then the euro version should be lighter if it lacks the wireless component.
Euro version is 336 grams - mind you I put an 8gig card in so it's carrying a LOT of books
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #48
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
That is if we can get the DR800S and DR800SG together in one place using the same very precise scale.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #49
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Euro version is 336 grams - mind you I put an 8gig card in so it's carrying a LOT of books
Both have the same weight in the specs listed on their website, whatever that means.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #50
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
That is if we can get the DR800S and DR800SG together in one place using the same very precise scale.
Has anyone asked iRex? That might be the easiest way.
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #51
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
I may be assuming too much here, but as mgmueller is in Germany he likely has the Euro version without 3G.
Same as you. The expensive European one, without 3G.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #52
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Has anyone asked iRex? That might be the easiest way.
Could we expect Irex to tell its Euro DR800 users that yes 3G chip is in your reader but we disabled it? I am not so sure they would.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #53
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
Could we expect Irex to tell its Euro DR800 users that yes 3G chip is in your reader but we disabled it? I am not so sure they would.
I don't see why not. They've been pretty honest in the past about the fact that they couldn't work out any agreements with carriers. Telling us whether or not the chip is physically there wouldn't be saying anything they haven't already admitted.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #54
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
I don't see why not. They've been pretty honest in the past about the fact that they couldn't work out any agreements with carriers. Telling us whether or not the chip is physically there wouldn't be saying anything they haven't already admitted.
I suppose one can ask, "When you work out the wireless deals with the carriers, can I 3G enable my dr800s with a software update or do I need to buy a new device?" Then again, if other countries have something like the FCC, I wonder if you can certify a device for wireless use *after* it's sold.

The dr800s manual doesn't mention a SIM slot like the US version but does the physical device have one?
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #55
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
You're not going to see 0 drop. The device does not get turned off. Look at it this way, iLiad users are lucky if they can get 15 hours on a charge. A 20% drop in 3 days is awesome.
It's just head-shakingly unbelievable what some of you guys will put up with from this company and yet still attempt to defend it in some way or other. Someone is getting a 20% battery drain from an e-ink device that hasn't been used for 3 days and this is somehow a good thing or at least acceptable to you? My Sony will sit unused for a week without needing to go into some kind of blank screen standby mode and will still show a full charge when I pick it back up. When I go to read with it after all that time, the response is instantaneous; it clearly hasn't dropped into some kind of hibernation mode.

Wow, a battery drain problem in an IRex device. What a shock...
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #56
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
It's just head-shakingly unbelievable what some of you guys will put up with from this company and yet still attempt to defend it in some way or other. Someone is getting a 20% battery drain from an e-ink device that hasn't been used for 3 days and this is somehow a good thing or at least acceptable to you? My Sony will sit unused for a week without needing to go into some kind of blank screen standby mode and will still show a full charge when I pick it back up. When I go to read with it after all that time, the response is instantaneous; it clearly hasn't dropped into some kind of hibernation mode.

Wow, a battery drain problem in an IRex device. What a shock...
Hmm, I had a 500 and a 505 and they would both drop after a week of non-use. The Sony's had great battery life, but they did drop in charge on me when just sitting in standby mode.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #57
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
Hmm, I had a 500 and a 505 and they would both drop after a week of non-use. The Sony's had great battery life, but they did drop in charge on me when just sitting in standby mode.
Yes, mine will, too, but it will sit there for a week without any charge loss showing. After I start reading with it after that length of time, it will retain the full charge for several pages, and then it will show a one bar loss. Since the meter shows 4 bars, I'd estimate that I've lost about 23% after a week of non-use, which close to double a 20% loss in 3 days.

Now, that being said, I'd be interested to know the size battery Sony uses versus the size of the DR800's. If the Sony uses a smaller battery, that makes things out to be even worse for the DR800 - it basically says they've never been able to figure out effective power management and just tried to solve the problem with this unit by tossing a larger battery in it.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #58
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
My Sony will sit unused for a week without needing to go into some kind of blank screen standby mode and will still show a full charge when I pick it back up. When I go to read with it after all that time, the response is instantaneous
Your Sony does go into a standby mode when not in use, whether or not it blanks the screen doesn't make a difference. You're implying that the Sony will last forever in that mode? That's not what most information I've seen says. Which Sony do you have? Most of what I've seen says the Sony's get a couple weeks on Standby mode. The wiki says "less than a month" for the PRS-505. Doesn't specify for the other models, but threads in the Sony forum seem to indicate it's similar for the others.

The DR800 will wake up out of it's standby mode nearly instantaneously as well.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #59
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, mine will, too, but it will sit there for a week without any charge loss showing.
That's because it's gone into standby/sleep mode (whatever you want to call it) and isn't refreshing the screen. The meter doesn't change if the screen isn't refreshed, so it's not showing you an accurate reading.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #60
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
It's just a guess but presumably simply powering an 8.1" screen takes more juice than a 6" screen. But the point is not really about absolute lengths of time batteries will last between charges (not least because as Shaggy and (I think) mgmueller have advised me elsewhere, keeping the battery topped up is better for the battery than letting it fully discharge). More importantly for me is whether the power management facilitates my use or gets in the way of using the unit and becomes a pain. For me something like a week with two or three hours a day reading, a bit of side loading, some flipping about between publications, and a bit of word searching between charges would be perfectly fine. I'd probably want to plug it in over the weekend to top it up whether the battery meter said 60% or 5%. However, four days between full and empty and doing nothing would be a pain.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote