Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #31
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Just to clear something up, when the device is in standby, is it *only* the power switch that can wake it up? That is, moving the flipbar, pressing the menu button, and clicking with the pen will do nothing? I'm just curious if in standby mode, does it shutdown power those non-essential components?

I suppose if there is no response, it doesn't necessarily mean that a component has no power. Perhaps there is a hum when the wacom is enabled or when used with a pen? If so, then moving the pen over a device in standby while listening closely may reveal something.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #32
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Just to clear something up, when the device is in standby, is it *only* the power switch that can wake it up? That is, moving the flipbar, pressing the menu button, and clicking with the pen will do nothing? I'm just curious if in standby mode, does it shutdown power those non-essential components?

I suppose if there is no response, it doesn't necessarily mean that a component has no power. Perhaps there is a hum when the wacom is enabled or when used with a pen? If so, then moving the pen over a device in standby while listening closely may reveal something.
So far, the only thing I've found that wakes it up is the power switch. Although, I have not tried the pen yet, just the menu button and flip bar. I don't know if it powers the Wacom layer down or not. I've never heard any hum from it though.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #33
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post

In standby, it doesn't react on anything except turning it on.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #34
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
So far, the only thing I've found that wakes it up is the power switch. Although, I have not tried the pen yet, just the menu button and flip bar. I don't know if it powers the Wacom layer down or not. I've never heard any hum from it though.
Pen isn't working either.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #35
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Pen isn't working either.
Good to know. The question then is whether it just stops reacting, or actually powers the layer down. I would assume they power it down to conserve battery, but I don't know that for a fact.

I'm not sure that the Wacom layer would really make a lot of difference though. Testing with other iRex devices in the past has shown that as long as you're not actively writing on the screen, the Wacom layer doesn't really draw much power when it's sitting idle. Then again, those were devices that had less than a days worth of total power, not weeks worth, so it may be more significant on the DR800 in Standby.
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #36
mgmueller
Member Retired

Poll about standby time.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76866
Old 03-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #37
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
I don't know if this could be a reason but I noticed that even I enabled Airplane mode, my DR800 would automatically turns it on occasionally by itself. The timing is sporadic. I have to re-enable airplane mode again several times myself. Is it calling home? I don't know.

However, if you have it on suspend for x number days; it might be possible that 3G is still running during that period causing battery to drain.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #38
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
However, if you have it on suspend for x number days; it might be possible that 3G is still running during that period causing battery to drain.
I may be assuming too much here, but as mgmueller is in Germany he likely has the Euro version without 3G.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #39
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
TGS, do we know for sure whether the Euro verison doesn't have 3G functionality built-in?
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #40
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since the DR800 battery connects with a wire connector, I think it would be possible for someone to measure power usage for various states and activities...
Old 03-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #41
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
I don't know if this could be a reason but I noticed that even I enabled Airplane mode, my DR800 would automatically turns it on occasionally by itself. The timing is sporadic. I have to re-enable airplane mode again several times myself. Is it calling home? I don't know.

The 3G should only run when you're telling it to connect. I would expect it to be off otherwise. I've never seen mine turn it on by itself.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #42
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
TGS, do we know for sure whether the Euro verison doesn't have 3G functionality built-in?
Not absolutely sure but I vaguely remember on another thread someone had been in and looked (not physically but in terms of OS) and in the Euro version it's not that 3G is there and not implemented, but not there at all. But I could be wrong.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #43
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
I don't think we know whether it's a firmware limitation, or if the hardware is physically removed.

I could see either being true:

1) They wouldn't include the 3G chip without using it, because that just increases their cost.

2) They included it because they're still hoping to work out agreements with European carriers in the future and want to be able to enable it with a firmware update if/when that happens.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #44
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Not absolutely sure but I vaguely remember on another thread someone had been in and looked (not physically but in terms of OS) and in the Euro version it's not that 3G is there and not implemented, but not there at all. But I could be wrong.
The software isn't there. I don't remember if they just decided that the kernel modules weren't present or if they could somehow tell that the hardware wasn't there. The only way I can think of to be positive that the hardware is removed would be to open the device. But there are probably people smarter than I am that might be able to figure it out.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #45
badbob001
Fanatic

Quote:
I suppose if both devices were weighed very precisely, then the euro version should be lighter if it lacks the wireless component.