Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #61
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i'm going to have to find or make a cover in leather for this. the neoprene sleeve is just bothersome. plus i have to find some place to put it down while reading.

first impressions- its heavier than i thought it would be. is it the wacom that makes it that heavy or the battery? i don't remember getting that impression of heft at CES. i'm not sold on the flip bar yet but ill see how i feel after i read on it a few days. i didn't do anything but run through he set up etc yet since i wanted to let it charge.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #62
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
first impressions- its heavier than i thought it would be. is it the wacom that makes it that heavy or the battery?
Weird, I was impressed with how light it was.

You can open up the back access door and take out the battery. That will tell you how much of the weight is coming from it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #63
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Weird, I was impressed with how light it was.

You can open up the back access door and take out the battery. That will tell you how much of the weight is coming from it.
"Heavy" was my very first impression as well, even started my "unboxing iRex 800" with that sentence.
But to me, that's a good thing. I don't mind the few extra grams, but I consider it an indicator for quality material.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #64
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
"Heavy" was my very first impression as well, even started my "unboxing iRex 800" with that sentence.
But to me, that's a good thing. I don't mind the few extra grams, but I consider it an indicator for quality material.
It's lighter than the iLiad, which is basically what I was comparing it too. That's the only other device with a similar screen size. I don't doubt it's heavier than 6" readers, but that's not surprising.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #65
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
i'm going to have to find or make a cover in leather for this. the neoprene sleeve is just bothersome. plus i have to find some place to put it down while reading.

first impressions- its heavier than i thought it would be. is it the wacom that makes it that heavy or the battery? i don't remember getting that impression of heft at CES. i'm not sold on the flip bar yet but ill see how i feel after i read on it a few days. i didn't do anything but run through he set up etc yet since i wanted to let it charge.
Especially interesting will be your comparison to Onyx Boox.
I've already briefly compared to BeBook Neo: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...64&postcount=1
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #66
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Congratulations! It's all about finding what works for you. Sounds like you did.
Thank you, and indeed that is true. I find it remarkable how wide the requirements and tastes of e-reader buyers go. And nobody is incorrect; there is no "best" e-reader that's suitable or desirable for everyone.

As for myself, a month or so ago I had a discussion with someone about my ideal e-reader. I came up with criteria that are astonishingly close to the DR800SG. Imagine my delight to discover yesterday that it actually existed. I'm only an occasional lurker here and on similar sites so I had no idea it was coming out. I'm excited.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:55 PM   #67
BrassMonkey
BrassMonkey began at the beginning.

Device: none
Angry dr800sg Unboxed without stylus

Arrrgh! DR800sg arrived from Car Toys today. Waited 4-5 months for this thing and no stylus. Called IREX - they have no stock on stylus - said to call store. Car Toys didn't know how to handle this as it is a new item. They need to contact someone who isn't there. Said they should get back to me in 24 hrs. Called IREX again and received the same 24 hour 'shuffle off to Buffalo' they were apologetic though. To add insult to injury the device will not let me progress pass the stylus calibration screen. Any of you good folks know how to get pass the initial calibration screen without a stylus?
BrassMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #68
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassMonkey View Post
Arrrgh! DR800sg arrived from Car Toys today. Waited 4-5 months for this thing and no stylus. Called IREX - they have no stock on stylus - said to call store. Car Toys didn't know how to handle this as it is a new item. They need to contact someone who isn't there. Said they should get back to me in 24 hrs. Called IREX again and received the same 24 hour 'shuffle off to Buffalo' they were apologetic though. To add insult to injury the device will not let me progress pass the stylus calibration screen. Any of you good folks know how to get pass the initial calibration screen without a stylus?
That is terrible! What an oversight. All the more reason for there to be a slot in the device for the standard stylus.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #69
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have mine on its way via UPS and scheduled to deliver tomorrow. I hope it won't be the same situation. I also have a stylus that came with my Wacom tablet. I wonder if that would work on DR800.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #70
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
I have mine on its way via UPS and scheduled to deliver tomorrow. I hope it won't be the same situation. I also have a stylus that came with my Wacom tablet. I wonder if that would work on DR800.
Most likely will be working.
I can interchange styli between BeBook Neo and iRex 800.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #71
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
BrassMonkey, there is one thing you can try. I'm not sure if it will work, but if you connect the device to your PC using the USB cable, you can access the SD card inside the device. There, look for the dr.ini file in the \system folder. Open this and edit this line:
/apps/er/sys/global/is_first_boot=true
change it into
/apps/er/sys/global/is_first_boot=false

this should skip the stylus calibration procedure...

If the device doesn't show "connected", then you will have to open the back of the device, remove the SD card and use a card reader to access the SD card.

Anyway, CarToys (or iRex) should sent you a stylus ASAP.

Last edited by pauli; 03-03-2010 at 06:39 PM.
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #72
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Cool...thanks!!!
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #73
BrassMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli View Post
BrassMonkey, there is one thing you can try. I'm not sure if it will work, but if you connect the device to your PC using the USB cable, you can access the SD card inside the device. There, look for the dr.ini file in the \system folder. Open this and edit this line:
/apps/er/sys/global/is_first_boot=true
change it into

this should skip the stylus calibration procedure...

If the device doesn't show "connected", then you will have to open the back of the device, remove the SD card and use a card reader to access the SD card.

Pauli

Initially I could not see the device. I popped out the card put it back in and wass able connect the device and see the card. The line "/apps/er/sys/global/is_first_boot=true"
was not in the dr.ini file so I added here:

[registry]
/apps/er/sys/global/list_languages=English;
/apps/er/sys/global/list_locales=en_US;

Did not allow me to get pass calibration screen. When I reconnected the device I could not read the card again. Is there a way to completely turn off the device so that it is not necessary to pull the card each time.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #74
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Maybe you can go to some local shop who sells wacom stuff (such as Frys) and use the demo stylus to pass the calibration procedure, hopefully the wacom stylus are compatible.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #75
BrassMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Most likely will be working.
I can interchange styli between BeBook Neo and iRex 800.
Good to know. Does BeBook Neo use a Wacom screen? I called Wacom to see if they could point me to a compatible pen and they said that each of their OEM screens are mated via driver to a specific styli.