Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #61
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyNJ66 View Post
I didn't know this thing existed until now! I was about to get the Nook but I have a $419 credit at Best Buy which makes me very curious about this thing. I will read reviews/look at videos in hope it can be ordered through BB in the next few days.
To sum my experience with iRex 800 up:
Standalone, it's a great unit. If you compare to Sony 900 or nook it's definitely too expensive. Even more in Europe, where it's € 499.
If you don't care about the price, it's a great unit (I rank it #2 of my 14 readers). If you care about cost:benefit ratio, it's ranking slightly lower (but still way above the average). Check out the specification (and for example my thread) so you won't have negative surprises. For example, it doesn't have the "intelligent" zoom of other iRex units and it doesn't have annotation (for now).
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #62
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
To sum my experience with iRex 800 up:
Standalone, it's a great unit. If you compare to Sony 900 or nook it's definitely too expensive. Even more in Europe, where it's € 499.
If you don't care about the price, it's a great unit (I rank it #2 of my 14 readers). If you care about cost:benefit ratio, it's ranking slightly lower (but still way above the average). Check out the specification (and for example my thread) so you won't have negative surprises. For example, it doesn't have the "intelligent" zoom of other iRex units and it doesn't have annotation (for now).
Out of curiosity, which do you have ranked number one?
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 02:40 PM   #63
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by droople View Post
Navigation stylus, Protective sleeve are the standard accessory, previous it was IREX DR800 Luxury Leather Cover White and Professional Stylus
That was for the $449 version, not the $399 one.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #64
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Either the device exceeds certain RF limits without the cover or that it was not certified without the cover (time / cost reasons?).
I don't see how the cover would have anything to do with RF, I'm assuming the FCC requires it just because that's how it was tested.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #65
zinj
Connoisseur
zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Irex DR800SG, Kyobo Mirasol Reader, 2 Pocketbook Ultras
If IREX is listening...is there any truth to the rumor that the DR800 will be released in the US on Feb 15th?
zinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #66
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

I don't think there was a specific data other than mid-February. All indications are that it's getting close, but who knows. I'm hoping we'll see something this week.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #67
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinj View Post
If IREX is listening...is there any truth to the rumor that the DR800 will be released in the US on Feb 15th?
Well, the last rumor was Feb 4th, and we see how that one turned out.

None of these numbers are coming from iRex though, they're just rumors. Take them for whatever you want, but I wouldn't put a lot of faith in them.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #68
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
I spoke to a Best Buy employee last night, and he said that with the inventory they had, it would probably be a couple more weeks until they were able to sell from the website.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:11 AM   #69
droople
Connoisseur
droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook,Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
That was for the $449 version, not the $399 one.
Can you give me the 449 link? cheers
droople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #70
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by droople View Post
Can you give me the 449 link? cheers
There is no $449 link anymore. When it first went up on bestbuy last year it was listed as $449 and included the executive pen and the leather cover. That listing was then taken down and the new listing that went up a couple of weeks ago included the same items, but at a $399 price point. That listing was then changed this past weekend to reflect a $399 price point, but without the executive pen and leather cover.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #71
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
there is no onboard storage for the stylus, right? so if they sell it without the cover you have no place at all for the stylus

nm- there must be loop or pocket on the "protective sleeve"
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #72
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
there is no onboard storage for the stylus, right? so if they sell it without the cover you have no place at all for the stylus

nm- there must be loop or pocket on the "protective sleeve"
You can see a picture of the sleeve in the unboxing thread, it's about half way down the first page and it looks like there are two loops for the pen.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #73
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

Hopefully this isn't true, but I just spoke to Best Buy and they indicated the only other data they now show on availability is the "first half of the year"! That's a big change from a week or so ago when they were saying Feb. 4th. It looks like the "Saga of the DR800SG" continues.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #74
zinj
Connoisseur
zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Irex DR800SG, Kyobo Mirasol Reader, 2 Pocketbook Ultras
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
Hopefully this isn't true, but I just spoke to Best Buy and they indicated the only other data they now show on availability is the "first half of the year"! That's a big change from a week or so ago when they were saying Feb. 4th. It looks like the "Saga of the DR800SG" continues.
Interesting, sad but interesting.
zinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #75
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
You can see the previous BestBuy page from Google Cache.

The below screenshots shows what has changed. Most interesting is the mention of dictionary support. It would be sad interesting to see what the final release package is.

badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote