Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-13-2006, 03:57 PM   #61
Pitchfork
Connoisseur
Pitchfork began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad/Ipaq 6340
@CommanderROR

Do you know what format the Notetaking tamplates are in?
Pitchfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:15 PM   #62
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
some are in .xeb and some in bmp.
I haven't checked them all yet.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2006, 06:47 PM   #63
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Commander,

A couple of posts you remarked a bit of a dissatisfaction with the contrast and not having as bright a background as paper. Is there any way to adjust this contrast? There was some disappointment in the timbre of you posts.

There has always appeared to be a bit of a grey cast in many of the pictures of the iRex. In a lot of the cases this was dismissed as just a phenomena from taking a picture of it and the light source. Now it sounds that it might be a bit more than that.

Just want to address this as it is a very important issue, and I am sure that others would want to know as well.

If you could shed a little 'light" on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:48 PM   #64
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaHuguet
I think hyperlinking is also possible, if you create the html that way, at least, that's what they said it would do.
Is that embedded in the page, then? I was thinking along the lines of a special index/TOC external to the document... so that you didn't have to remember where the index page was, jump there, page through, and jump to what you were looking for.... Seems like it would be a good way to avoid page refreshes, since those are the slow part. Or maybe it already works that way, I'll have to look at the video again.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:28 PM   #65
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I am getting antzy waiting for my iRex (if it will ever come!). I figure what I should do is prepare the myriad of manuals I have to be displayed on the iRex. Most of these manuals are in PDF form. I will probably have to put a bunch of bookmarks in to increase accessibility in these manuals. Most of these manuals are formatted 8.5 X 11.

What would be the best way to format documents for display on the iRex? Would it be better to be in a doc, pdf, or html format? Is there any viewer on the iRex that is faster on the page turns than the other? How do they handle bookmarks? How should the documents themselves be formatted for the best display? I have Adobe Acrobat 6 and but I am no expert in it's use. Looking up some of the help files on Adobe it says that you should make sure the files are "tagged" for display on varying electronic mediums, I accomplished this on one file so far, I will do more when I get home as I am on the road with the laptop and the tagging is fairly extensive load on the laptop. I also have MS Word which I am somewhat familiar with. Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by firekat; 07-13-2006 at 08:31 PM.
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2006, 01:22 AM   #66
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Well, I'm preparing several of my novels with the index on page 1, so it's easy to get to and remember, lol. On the other hand, in HenryCat's video, I seem to recall he brought the index up on the side of the page, so I guess you can do that to, but I don't know how to prepare that, I'll have to wait for the iLiad and the instruction manual.
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:09 AM   #67
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by firekat
I have Adobe Acrobat 6 and but I am no expert in it's use. Looking up some of the help files on Adobe it says that you should make sure the files are "tagged" for display on varying electronic mediums, ...
Tagging is mainly useful for accessibility such as reflow, or use where you extract the text from the file and feed to some other application. Essentially tags say what chunks of texts belong together and in what order. In 'simple' books this is rarely a problem: in newspapers and magazines it tends to be.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 04:30 AM   #68
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
About the contrast:

Yes, it is a bit dissappointing. But it depends on lighting. In good light, it's more than adequate. In poor lighting it is a bit harder to read than a paper book. Overall it isn't really a problem. What I find strange is the fact that the screen can display whiter pictures than it does. If you load a page with lots of black "bars" you can see them as white aftershadows on the next page with a blank background...this is strange.
You are right that I was slightly dissappointed, but don't let that get to you. The screen is still excellent and readability is great.

About Document formats:
I put my PDF files in 12x16cm right now. That's ok for the heigt, but a bit too little for the width. (could also be that my PDF had margins that were too large left and right).
I didn't have a lot of time yesterday, so I only did a little experimenting there.
Bookmarks and all those nice little things are still absent in Software 2.4, so reading a novel is really hard since you have to open the file again, have to find your page again and all that...
Zooming in PDf files is also not implemented yet. With that feature, a lot of work could be saved...so I'm not going to make many customised PDFs just now...i'm waiting for the PDf viewer with zooming or even better the HTML viewer with pageing...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:59 AM   #69
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Anyone found out how to diectly jump to a page in PDF files?
Henrycat, maybe you can tell us (or has it been broken with 2.4)
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:29 AM   #70
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Has anyone found out, how to enter a static ip, gateway and DNS in a profile?
Old 07-14-2006, 11:36 AM   #71
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
LOL, ok, enough mucking around and making us jealous, tell us!! Do you agree with Commander, it's a good size, good read and all?
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:59 AM   #72
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by firekat
Commander,

A couple of posts you remarked a bit of a dissatisfaction with the contrast and not having as bright a background as paper. Is there any way to adjust this contrast?
e-ink devised various methods to update the pages of this kind of display. the slower ones usually get better contrast, but you can not scape of the recicled paper look. Which, in some sense, seems appropiate :-)
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:00 PM   #73
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
Has anyone found out, how to enter a static ip, gateway and DNS in a profile?
A serious question!!! they could be relying on DHCP
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:11 PM   #74
tribble
iLiad Maniac

The size is very good. If you only want to read books, it could be smaller, and for anything other it could be bigger, so its a very pleasant compromise.

The device itself has a very nice grip and feels good in the hand. The material has a pleasent feel, and looks good. No cheap plastic feel. It seems very well manufactured. Good casing, screwed together with star screws, The buttons are good to press and are at level with the rest of the serface. The upper left buttons could be a bit difficult to press if you have large hands. Using the flipbar is actually very comfortable and feels very natural. Even the switching left to go forward comes very easy if you think in terms of flipping a page.

It comes with protective covers for the CF and SD slot, which is quite good. Unfortunately i am having trouble reading SD cards. I have a 1GB Sandisk and a 2GB Transcend 150x. The "GB card has not been recognized once, the 1GB gets recognized sometimes. I havent found out why and when yet. Trying to reproduce the error. CF cards havent benn a problm so far and seem to work niceley, but i have only a 512MB card hee, so broblems might occur with larger cards.

I used the USB port only to connect a USB lamp, and that worked

The display itself is really amazing. When i opened the box, i found it quite greyish. And it is not as white as i had thought, but the readability is excelent. Even the smallest fonts are readable. That was a surprise to me. The contrast is about the same as newspaper, and the display gets easier to read, the more light you have. The plastic cover (i think its plastic) is brushed and reflects little, but it does reflect. So you dont have the complete paper feel. All in all the diplay is great and i think the next generation display of eink might do wonders (this one is, comparted to lcd in sunlight).

The connection to iDs should be easy, if you have a properly setup DHCP Server. I do not, and there seems to be no way to enter static LAN information yet. The connection to the wireless lan works though. Encryption can only be done with WEP.

The software is still beta as mentioned before. PDF files can be read well. I tried a copy of scientific american and it was all readable but not comfortable to read (will test scientific papers later). No zooming available yet. I also didnt find out how to jump to a specific page. And reopening a file always starts on the first page

HTML reader works fine, but no pagination and text gets cut of in the midle of a line. Havent tested nested and linked files yet.

The notetaking works faster than i expected. If you get the templates (most templates are just bmp or jpg files 538x658) you can write notes (only one per image so far, saves note as imagename_note.xxx)
the provided xeb file has 10 pages inside it and you can write your notes there aswell, but the usage is not quite intuitive and there is no information about it in the manuals. But the writing speed is pretty fast and it seems to work ok so far. I think the next software updates will give us better notetaking possibilities.

The filelist needs some rework in my oppinion. The displayed filenames are to short and i could not distinguish between many files, because the prefixes were the same. I also think that there should be more than 6 files on a page. Maybe thta will be customizable in a future OS version.

i have been playing around with the device for about 5 hours now (almost on all the time lots of pen usage) and the battery is at a third of its capacity (indicator is to small to be more precise)

The best format for PDF files, if you make your own is 12x15cm (1cm at the bottom gets reserved for menu icons) then you have a comfortable reading space and can controll margins yourself.

For now, i have to say, i love it. If the software gets updated and can do, what was promised, then i will be a very, very happy camper.

Hope thats enough for now, but i gladly answer any questions that you come up with.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:45 PM   #75
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
Hope thats enough for now, but i gladly answer any questions that you come up with.
Any open ports/running services?
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote