Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-13-2006, 07:27 AM   #46
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky ox
Is it nasty tasting to goats?

One of the things I'd like to do is chill in the bottom field in the sun and read. I can't do that with my Origami because conventional LCDs and sunlight just don't mix, of course. And if I take paper media down there, the goats try and eat them.
Hmm is there anything the goats do not try?
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:30 AM   #47
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
No, and that includes small children *(remembers being nibbled in a painful place as a small child)*
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2006, 08:02 AM   #48
FGFuzaxx
Enthusiast
FGFuzaxx has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: maybe Iliad ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
Hmm is there anything the goats do not try?
This leads to another question. Is the e-ink stuff toxic? Just imagine a goat nibbling at your iliad, cracking it open and dying from eating up the e-ink.

It *should* be nasty tasting to goats, otherwise iRex will be sued by all the ex goat-owners...

Greetings,
Frank
FGFuzaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:07 AM   #49
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGFuzaxx
This leads to another question. Is the e-ink stuff toxic? Just imagine a goat nibbling at your iliad, cracking it open and dying from eating up the e-ink.
It seems rather stable: my 800x600 broken display is not leaking any drop of ink. after two months
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:21 AM   #50
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky ox
Is it nasty tasting to goats?

One of the things I'd like to do is chill in the bottom field in the sun and read. I can't do that with my Origami because conventional LCDs and sunlight just don't mix, of course. And if I take paper media down there, the goats try and eat them.
This is an important question to me -- I like to read a book in the park or on a beacj... Can you use the Illiad in full sunshine like a book...? Most LCD screens are either unreadable or quite hard to read in glaring sunshine...
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2006, 08:29 AM   #51
stinky ox
Connoisseur
stinky ox began at the beginning.

Device: samsung q1, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
This is an important question to me -- I like to read a book in the park or on a beacj... Can you use the Illiad in full sunshine like a book...? Most LCD screens are either unreadable or quite hard to read in glaring sunshine...
I would certainly hope so, since that's the whole point of my buying an E-Ink product.

Hopefully in a couple of years' time I'll end up with what I really want, which is something like my Origami but with a reasonably fast, colour e-ink display I can read anywhere.

The promise of portability isn't really fulfilled as long as "anywhere that's sunny" is excluded from places you can use your device.

Being able to lie in the field and read the net, do some writing, read or maybe play a game or two would be ideal, (goats willing) .
stinky ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:59 AM   #52
vvoi666
Zealot
vvoi666 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
even more interesting:

since even normal paper in bright sunlight tends to 'blind' me after some time (have to use sunglasses), is it possible to change the background color ('paper' color) of the iliad to, say, a light gray (or even invert the screen)?

can somebody who has a device check this, please?

thx
vvoi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:05 AM   #53
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
You can see a video of the device in sunlight:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6893

Also the screen never "blinded" me when reading outdoor, it just goes real close to white... (very light grey)
Henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:20 AM   #54
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvoi666
even more interesting:

since even normal paper in bright sunlight tends to 'blind' me after some time (have to use sunglasses), is it possible to change the background color ('paper' color) of the iliad to, say, a light gray (or even invert the screen)?

can somebody who has a device check this, please?

thx
Not about Iliad, but e-ink...
I have Hanlin V8, the screen is light gray, and it is perfect in sunlight! Better then white paper.
BTW, using Hanlin printer it is possible to make inverted books )) White text at balck screen
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:27 PM   #55
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
So here's something I thought of today, as far as ereader functionality goes. Maybe this has already been answered...

How does the Iliad work with non-sequential access? When reading fiction, just moving from one page to the next is fine, but in technical books or other reference books, I want to be able to jump around from place to place without having to page through. What's the interface for doing that on the Iliad?

In a perfect world, there would be a "hyperlinked" table of contents and index - maybe dynamically created by scanning the book. But I don't think we're there yet ;-)

Edit: I found the answer after more carefully looking at the Q&A (thanks FGFuzaxx!) No hyperlinking, but you can use the on-screen keyboard to jump to any page you like.

Last edited by bingle; 07-13-2006 at 02:45 PM.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:23 PM   #56
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Yes, and page-jumping is a bit faster than what we saw in Henrycats vids.

Now...

Let me try to do a quick summing up of the day.
I haven't really postet a lot of info here during this day, but unfortunately not because I was so busy playing with my Iliad. Today was that kind of day where you don't get anything done. So I didn't read, I hardly fooled around with the device and I didn't get any work done either (have to do that tomorrow where I don't really have time anyway....^^).

What I can give you is some first-expereince info.

The device feels good and looks good (apart from that sloping edge). Qualitiy is good overall, but I found a slight "error" with my model where the plastic near the SD card slot can move a little bit. I don't think this is a serious problem, but i'd be interested to hear whether more people have that "problem".
The Casing is made of nice and elegant looking, slightly rubbery feeling plastic. The buttons are all nice and easy to handle, the page-flip bar is very comfortable and, although it isn't silent it doesn't click as loudly as Henrycat's vido would have suggested...it's a very acceptable noise.
The backside of the device looks a bit "strange", but it's actually helpful in the terms of ergonomics. One spot on the device gets a bit warm during operation, I guess this is where the processor is...^^
Room temperature here where I'm sitting is about 30 degrees celsius, and if the device doesn't have any trouble here, it won't have any trouble ever...^^ (though i'm not sure about direct sunlight...haven't tried as I don't usually read outside...)

The screen is great. You have to see it to believe it. You won't miss colour...^^

Continued in next post....
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:31 PM   #57
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
I think hyperlinking is also possible, if you create the html that way, at least, that's what they said it would do.
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:37 PM   #58
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

The boot-up time of the device is quite long....something that is rather awkward because you have to switch it off quite often (due to the missing power saving) at the moment. Once it worls as it's supposed to you could probably just leave it on most of the time. The manual indicates something like that.

The Software looks good from a design-point of view, but it is still severely lacking in MANY aspects. Contents of my SD card often don't show when selected, but I found a workaround for this...i'll have to do further testing to see if this alawys helps solve the problem.
I've used the HTML viewer and the PDF viewer so far. They are both not good at all...
The HTML viewer is a little better in my opinion. It allows changes in font size and displays text on the whole width of the screen (a bit too much so, I think adding a small margin would be good, but you can do that in the document I guess). The trouble is, that you only get one page at the moment. That doesn't mean that there is only one page of course...it just menas that you can't select a page number. The "page breaks" are also sometimes in the middle of a line...but it looks promising.

The PDF viewer...ok...it isn't that bad. Pages are shown quite well, if they have the right format. My document had large margins left and right, but I guess that was my own mistake while formatting. You can jump to any page and in the document I used it worked quite well. It was also quite fast (especially compared to the vids we've seen). We are still a few steps away from getting 1 sec. page updates, but it's looking better.

One thing that slightly bugged me is the fact, that the little indicator light on top of the device is constantly blinking weakly....weakly but very fast. This can be a bit annoying, but you can hardly see it in daylight, and in the dark you can't see the screen, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'd still like to know why it does this...looks like an error to me.

Notes works quite well as far as I can tell...the templates are also cool...at the moment the WACOM features are not really used, but I was told that they would be implemented in a later software version. I also didn't manage to save anything and export it to PC (I'm not sure whether this works yet), but I'll try it some time and let you know.

So far for now...i'll have to wash the dishes now...^^

Any special questions you think I can answer, just post them here...i'll look in later.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:39 PM   #59
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

@ElaHuguet

It hink it was shown in Henrycat's vids...
Old 07-13-2006, 03:42 PM   #60
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Ah, there too, you're right! I was remembering some previous specifications.
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote