Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 04:59 AM   #31
redsky
redsky began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minie View Post
I don't think it is possible to post anonymously on this forum.
No ? Who am I then ?!

None of the compensated Dutchies wish to anonymously share a few tips on how to work this ?
redsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #32
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by kees View Post
Yes, the Iliad/NRC offer was too good to be true :-)

People let me tell you: they are going down. I don't give a shit.

Wait another five years and you can buy the most fantastic stuff.
Wow, You're really rude, dude.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #33
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by kees View Post
5 emails and no reaction from iRex!!!!

they are not Apple.

Closing doors in 2010. No doubt.
Apple has just finished their support for PowerPC machines with the new Mac OS X Snow Leopard. You didn't mention that you can throw away your PowerPC Apple hardware in the long run.

I'm very satisfied with my Iliad (despite that the 1000S is bigger ). You're obviously a person who's always complaining.

Life is full of challenges so deal with it constructively.

Cudos to Irex - they are a small company so what do you expect - 24h support and a personal ebook trainer ... get real
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:47 AM   #34
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Cudos to Irex - they are a small company so what do you expect - 24h support and a personal ebook trainer ... get real
All I expect is a reasonable level of support for a device I paid a whisker short of 1000 AUD not two years ago.

Is that real enough for you?
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:06 AM   #35
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
All I expect is a reasonable level of support for a device I paid a whisker short of 1000 AUD not two years ago.

Is that real enough for you?
iRex already gives reasonable support for their devices so far as I can see. You and kees and others appear to expect them to crawl on their hands and knees to prop your feet up on their backs.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #36
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
iRex already gives reasonable support for their devices so far as I can see. You and kees and others appear to expect them to crawl on their hands and knees to prop your feet up on their backs.
That's right - Apple is declining to repair a Mac if you have smoked too much and you're complaining that they don't want to repair it for free after 2 years?
Old 12-21-2009, 11:41 AM   #37
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
I don't see it that way at all. What I expect from iRex is fairly reasonable - not to discontinue support for a fairly expensive device after 2 years (or thereabouts). Perhaps they could borrow a page or two from Sony's book on how to support products (firmware update for PRS-500)?
I don't understand what is the big deal with expecting value for money with some people? I certainly do not expect anybody to carry me on their back (as so you appear to think for some reason). But I do expect to get what I pay for and if I don't I express my opinion.
As I said before, I do enjoy my Iliad, I am not happy with iRex support (or rather lack thereof). I am not going to buy another iRex product or recommend it to anyone else.

BTW, my grudge is not iRex not replying to emails or such - just overall lack of firmware updates, battery life and lack of sleep mode.

Last edited by m-reader; 12-21-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #38
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
To me, this is like suing a car manufacturer because your diesel pickup truck won't run on unleaded gasoline, or suing a stereo manufacturer because your CD player isn't compatible with MP3s.
Perhaps a better example would be for Kindle users to sue for the lack of epub support. Or more similar, for Kindle 1 users to sue for the lack of PDF support.

But I think the main problem is that iRex is still selling the Iliad, knowing that development support for it will be DOA. It seems like a slap in the face when even Sony is providing epub updates to their long retired readers. One could argue that Sony is much bigger than iRex and there are probably many lesser known readers, like those in China, that are being sold with no future updates as well.

Last edited by badbob001; 12-21-2009 at 01:26 PM.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #39
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
I don't see it that way at all. What I expect from iRex is fairly reasonable - not to discontinue support for a fairly expensive device after 2 years (or thereabouts). Perhaps they could borrow a page or two from Sony's book on how to support products (firmware update for PRS-500)?
Sony has only updated the PRS-500 firmware because they want people to buy their new epub ebooks. Irex has no e-book onlineshop so there is no incentive to support the device further. Further I understand IRex - it's a small startup company who has done innovative cutting edge technology (where do you find another DIN A4 device?). They don't have millions to feed some hudge ego from premium customers who can only complain.

Don't think Sony would move at least one finger for your support otherwise. And it would be more constructive instead of using threats to talk to the IRex people - you know that thing called 'people skills'.

Last edited by joblack; 12-21-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:47 AM   #40
m-reader
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Sony has only updated the PRS-500 firmware because they want people to buy their new epub ebooks. Irex has no e-book onlineshop so there is no incentive to support the device further. Further I understand IRex - it's a small startup company who has done innovative cutting edge technology (where do you find another DIN A4 device?). They don't have millions to feed some hudge ego from premium customers who can only complain.

Don't think Sony would move at least one finger for your support otherwise. And it would be more constructive instead of using threats to talk to the IRex people - you know that thing called 'people skills'.
I didn't realise I was threatening anyone was I? I also don't have a problem with people liking or supporting Irex. I don't care either way, all I am saying is that I am not happy with their support (andn their product to a degree).
So am I not suppose to say anything because "oh, Irex's business model is blah-blah, and they are a small tiny company and we are oh so rude demanding customers with hudge (sic) egos and no people skills."?
I think I am well within my rights as a paying customer to demand a reasonable level of support from Irex. Besides, go back and read the original posts in this thread. How come Irex is doing something about I would say more than a few unhappy Dutch customers?

I already stated my dislikes and likes about Iliad on this forum a few times. It has nothing to do with liking or disliking Irex or any of you fan-boys. I couldn't care less to be honest.

BTW, I agree with your definition of Irex as a company, but I don't know about being a small company. Last time I checked they were a Philips spin-off, not exactly poor.

Last edited by m-reader; 12-22-2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #41
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapipiko View Post
@Shaggy,
iRex told me in the first place that an updat did not have ' their highest priority'. (It could be possible, but..when?)
They announced about a year ago that they were basically stopping development on the iLiad and there would be no new features.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #42
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd View Post
If you are selling a ebook reader and the standard format for ebook reader is the epub format, YOU MUST update the ebook reader's software.
Does every eBook reader currently on the market support ePub?
Old 12-22-2009, 11:14 AM   #43
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
You have a very odd definition of "reasonable".
Old 12-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #44
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
It seems like a slap in the face when even Sony is providing epub updates to their long retired readers. One could argue that Sony is much bigger than iRex and there are probably many lesser known readers, like those in China, that are being sold with no future updates as well.
One small difference is that Sony sells their readers with the intention of continuing to sell you content from the Sony store. They are switching their store to ePub. If they didn't update their old readers, they would lose all of those customers who are buying eBooks from them. I doubt they're updating them out of the goodness of their heart, they're doing it because they don't want you to spend your eBook money elsewhere.

iRex, on the other hand, doesn't tie their device market to a content market.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #45
Minie
Minie began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
@ Shaggy

Are you paid by post?
Minie is offline   Reply With Quote