Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
Minie
Minie began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Exclamation Iliad users are compensated [Apparently a hoax]

There are rumours that Iliad users that are firmly complaining are compensated by Irex. On dutch forums several users are talking about the new ereader they received.
http://www.ereaders.nl/compensatie_iliad
Minie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
dumkat
dumkat began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad 2nd generation
What are they complaining about?
dumkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
Minie

They are complaining about the fact that the iREX promise a lot, but never fixed known issues like the short battery life (not working energy management) and the not working wake-up function. Despite the problems iREX did stopt he development of the iLIAD.

The most recent complains are about the fact that iREX has announced that they won't support the ePUB format on the iLiad. According to the complaining users with this decision the product is end of life. They are angry because they paid a lot of money as early adopters for such a short time of usablity.

It seems iREX now finally admits its mistake and compensates the complaining dutch customers with a good replacement.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:09 AM   #4
hapipiko
hapipiko
hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: first iLiad V2 (now retired) Kobo touch, samsung galaxy tab
Well, as one of the compensated Dutch iLiad readers, i can tell that its finally and at least some good news here

Last edited by hapipiko; 03-28-2010 at 06:54 AM.
hapipiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
kees
kees began at the beginning.

Device: palm E2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minie View Post

It seems iREX now finally admits its mistake and compensates the complaining dutch customers with a good replacement.
verified it?

Let me tell you it's a hoax.
iRex will soon be out of business. It's obvious they don't have a businesscase.
It's a Philips spin-off
kees is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
If this were true, I would be curious on what they received exactly? Another iliad with a note not bother to send the old one back? I guess it could be a newer iliad with the two internal batteries. If a replacement, then it would have to be the DR1000S and I guess that's considered better. They could have also gotten an IOU with a picture of the DR800SG and words: Coming really really soon!
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:17 AM   #7
hapipiko
hapipiko
hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: first iLiad V2 (now retired) Kobo touch, samsung galaxy tab
@badbod001,
DR1000s was received.
For information contact iRex.
We are strongly advised no to talk about all this.
hapipiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
stonehat
Re-Iliadist
stonehat began at the beginning.

Device: none
Curious.
Anyone else care to (anonymously) share some information ?

Is this scheme only for people who bought their Iliads with an NRC subscription ?
Or for Nederlands Iliad users in general ?
Or for Iliad users in general ?!
stonehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
Minie

I don't think it is possible to post anonymously on this forum.

There is not a general rule. You have to ask and complain at iREX. I am only aware of replacemenst of the iLIAD. IREX introduced this device with quit a lot of unkept promises. Did stop further development and now refuses to make it possible to read the ePUb format. End of life for a more than 500 euro device!

Ehen using the right legal terms you can hit the replace button of iREX. It absolutely is not a customer loyalty action of iREX, they know they are forced tot do this to avoid lawsuits.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:28 PM   #10
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
What replacement do you get? I would be interested if it would be an Irex 1000S. On the other side besides the 'absolute Irex chaos culture' and the missing firmware updates I'm well satisfied with Irex.

It would be a shame if they would get out of business - the Irex 1000S is the only large ebook reader which is usable and would be a match for me.

If somebody know more drop me a message and I'll order one 1000S.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Did stop further development and now refuses to make it possible to read the ePUb format. End of life for a more than 500 euro device!
Epubs work fine with the newest FBReader ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
devant
devant began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
If anyone could PM me privately with any details, I would greatly appreciate it.
devant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #13
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Did stop further development and now refuses to make it possible to read the ePUb format.
I can understand complaining about the power/battery issues where the device did not live up to the original advertised specs, but the ePub thing makes no sense to me. They never made any indications/promises that ePub would be supported. There are tons of proprietary eBook formats out there, no device supports them all. Sure it would be nice if they added support, but I don't see why you think that a company has an obligation to support a specific format that they never claimed would be supported. What about all the other formats that the iLiad doesn't support, do you feel entitled to those too?

To me, this is like suing a car manufacturer because your diesel pickup truck won't run on unleaded gasoline, or suing a stereo manufacturer because your CD player isn't compatible with MP3s.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #14
Minie

Quote:
Epubs work fine with the newest FBReader ...
But i am afraid not with commercial DRM protected eBooks in ePUB format.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #15
Minie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
.. but the ePub thing makes no sense to me. To me, this is like suing a car manufacturer because your diesel pickup truck won't run on unleaded gasoline, or suing a stereo manufacturer because your CD player isn't compatible with MP3s.
No problem mate, but the weird examples mentioned are about physical impossiblities. In case of the iLiad it is technical no problem to develop a working firmware for ePUB on the iLiad. The hardware of the iLiad is absolutely fit for this (as demonstrated by FBreader).