Notices

Old 07-12-2006, 07:57 AM   #301
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
Anone know, where to get a USB Lamp with an LED that uses little power and has large light emission.
Why not make the ilIad a little bit radioactive by putting some Tritium in it? This way it would glow in the dark without draining the battery... ;-)

Actually Tritium lights don't emit beyond their casings, but I think they are nevertheless forbidden to use in Germany...

http://www.betalight.com

Last edited by R2D2; 07-12-2006 at 08:01 AM. Reason: spelling, again...
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:03 AM   #302
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2
Why not make the ilIad a little bit radioactive by putting some Tritium in it? This way it would glow in the dark without draining the battery... ;-)
Speak with e-ink and file a patent!
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2006, 08:18 AM   #303
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
Speak with e-ink and file a patent!
I don't think that anybody would dare do that: Too much waste management trouble.

Last edited by R2D2; 07-12-2006 at 08:57 AM.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:48 AM   #304
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2
I don't think that anybody what do that: Too much waste management trouble.
I tend to agree. E-ink (well, or MIT?) did it, and we went carried to this low speed development status of the readers and this strange continental division (a reader for USA, another for Japan, another for Europe). All the benefits will go to the lawyers most probably.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:38 AM   #305
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
Anone know, where to get a USB Lamp with an LED that uses little power and has large light emission.
The best i found so far is an LED, warm white, 12000mcd, 18mA, 20°, 5mm, 3.4V.

But thats not attached to anything yet.
Hey, Tribble,

try Googling "LED USB light" you'll find a good selection, and you can find someplace that's convenient for you. They seem to average 10~12 USD. You also might find them at your local computer/office supply store. If all else fails, Amazon seems to have them.

Nearly as I can tell, these lights are going to draw around 30 mA (the packaging may tell you more on that, but it may not -- lower mA is better!), which is not much. The real question is how much battery capacity the iLiad has, and what effect that extra draw will have on its life.

As a theoretical exercise, a 30 mA draw on, say, a 600 mAh battery will drain that battery in approximately 20 hours. Of course that doesn't count the juice to change pages, or access files, etc. (and we don't know the iLiad's battery's capacity, for that matter), but it does suggest that you might be able to get through an evening's reading by one of these lights without totally draining your battery.

I'm guessing that anything designed for lighting up a laptop's (usually dark colored) keyboard ought to be plenty bright for reading the iLiad's much smaller, lighter colored screen.

Another thing -- I realize that Laptops have really big, honkin' batteries compared to the iLiad, but I don't think a USB keyboard light that had a heavy power draw would work very well for laptops either, so that, again, suggests that we may have a workable solution.

Last edited by NatCh; 07-12-2006 at 11:40 AM.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2006, 11:19 PM   #306
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

You could always just get one of those "bookreader" LED lamps that they sell for regular printed books. After all they are made for books! The iLiad is just not made of paper products but is in fact a "book". These lights are small, have their own internal (cheap & easily replaced) battery, will free up the USB port for other purposes, wouldn't drain the power out of the iLiad, and they are relatively inexpensive. In addition to all of that they are manufactured for reading books! I am sure that you could find an easy way to attach it to the iLiad with a little ingenuity. A small square of Velcro is a low tech way that might work effectively. Why re-invent the wheel?

Last edited by firekat; 07-12-2006 at 11:34 PM.
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:45 AM   #307
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
so are people gonna use theirs straight away?, i'm tempted to hold off on full time use until powersaving is added considering the non-user changable battery.
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:47 AM   #308
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
i am going to use it right away. If the battery dies, i will drive to eindhoven myself, if necessary, to make them change it
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:54 AM   #309
High 5
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
High 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket ebook,Cybook, Hiebook, Iliad
Not using the Iliad is like not driving your new Ferrari until they put in a larger gastank.
Nah, if it'll ever arrive, I'll go flatout past all the high-speed camera's.
High 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:18 AM   #310
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I'll use it straight away.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:43 AM   #311
scstraus
scstraus began at the beginning.

Too Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrycat
In the near future i don't think there will be any specific notetaking application.

If i understand correcty the user will be able to write notes on the various readers, simply take off the pen and the device will allow for writing (if the reader supports it).

Once the device is "finished" they should start working on the various add-ons, one of them the refinement of notetaking, so i think before the end of the year it should be done.

Or maybe some of the users here in mobileread could create their own application
Thanks for the answer Henrycat, let me know if you hear anything else!

I find this move unfortunate and strange since the features page of the iliad says
"Use the iLiad as your notepad."

I mean, there's not much to adding it if it already supports annotation. Well I'm not buying it if it doesn't have that. It's got to replace my pad of paper and at least some of all the magazines I carry in my laptop bag to be of any use to me. Hopefully they'll add it to the consumer version. Otherwise the touchscreen is just a waste of time and money.

Last edited by scstraus; 08-08-2006 at 08:46 AM.
scstraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:19 PM   #312
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
HenryCat's answer was before the current version of the iLiad, it now has notetaking abilities, and several templates (such as lined paper). I used it to think out the design for its own cover.
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:24 AM   #313
scstraus
scstraus began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaHuguet
HenryCat's answer was before the current version of the iLiad, it now has notetaking abilities, and several templates (such as lined paper). I used it to think out the design for its own cover.

Cool! Care to share any interesting tidbits you may know about the notes application? Does it do a good job of filing large amounts of notes? Is it fast? Can you easily take multipage notes? Screenshots ?
scstraus is offline   Reply With Quote