Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #61
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I'm not worrierd about not being able to use the software (I'm a windows user and not at all shy when it comes to handling software...even Sony software...^^) but about what it actually supports...

I have not seen .txt mentioned anywhere...it just says "more text formats"...why not go ahead and say what you really mean...and why do you have to convert it? Hanlin and iRex offer native PDF and .txt, .html support and offer the conversion as an option. (at least Hanlin does, iRex does not tell).

The iRex also makes it possible to use the device as "USB-Storage", meaning you don't have to install some proprietary software...good if you like to pick up documents from different computers...installing the software on each one is not really fun...and I hate synchronizing...it's ok for contacts and schedule, but it's pretty weird for actual content (aprt from daily newspapers...)

The Hanlin probably uses a conversion/transfer software as well...but I guess it'll be a lot less "invasive" than the Sony version...we'll see.

I contacted Hanlin (Jinke) and iRex for details...let's see whether they reply...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:40 PM   #62
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by luag
i personally prefer AAAs for ebook readers :/
because its easier (and cheaper) to replace.

edit: nevermind, it seems like v2 use a common LiOn batteries that we can change quite easily. i just downloaded the doc file. Thx for the link
I, too, prefer AA/AAA batteries, I saw 2500 mAh rechargable AA's in the store just the other day, and the most I could find 8 months ago was 2100 mAh -- it's a lot cheaper to replace/upgrade those rascals than the Lithium-Ion variety. Though, I do agree that their being a common, available type mitigates that somewhat. I also prefer the assurance that should I get in a pinch, I can slap in good old, universally available alkaline batts and be good to go.

Perhaps they went with the Lithium-Ion because they seem to hold charge over long periods better than the NiMh AA/AAA batts available to consumers....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2006, 12:46 PM   #63
luag
Zealot
luag began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
dunno...librie claims 10000 page turns with 4 AAAs, compared to Sony Reader's 7500 with LiOn battery...

Theres a picture from the .doc file that shows hanlin has a battery compartment. i just hope v2 uses battery that is easily available.

Last edited by luag; 03-09-2006 at 12:50 PM.
luag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:42 PM   #64
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I hope Hanlin makes a product that lives up to it's promises...^^
Old 03-09-2006, 05:58 PM   #65
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Here's a new review of the Hanlin device, machine-translated from Russian (via Teleread):
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...p%3Farticle.96

It's probably the v8, not the Linux-running v2, but it provides interesting details anyway. It's very much like the Librie, apparently.

Also:
"...the frequency of processor in it is 4 times less than in dormouse."

So... unfavorable comparison to a rodent. That doesn't bode well. ;-)
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2006, 06:26 PM   #66
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

The V8 had a really slow (32Mhz or something) CPU, the V2 has 200Mhz and should be ok...

I just read the review...terrible translation..^^
the way I understood it, the Hanlin is actually faster than the Librie...but I could be wrong.
they say the Hanlin is astonishingly good actually...maybe I misunderstood though...
They are speaking about a video comparison...but the video is not in the translated review...I'll have to search for it...

Last edited by CommanderROR; 03-09-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:18 PM   #67
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
That depends. Is Sony going to provide the conversion software for any available desktop OS platform? Knowing Sony, they are not so keen in supporting anything but Windows.
According to CNET (Nov 2005):

"Clearly, Windows continues to dominate the computing world. About 94.4 percent of all the PCs and other handheld devices shipped in 2003 run Windows, according to the latest stats published by research firm IDC. Apple Computer's Macintosh OS ranked second, with 3.2 percent of the total operating system market, while Linux placed third with 1.4 percent. Other software, such as DOS, made up the final 1 percent."

Why would any sane company waste time supporting an OS that is only 1.4 percent? I know Sony can suck, but I gotta agree with them on this one.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:57 PM   #68
luag
Zealot

and what about the rumored chinese iLiad that might go as low as 372 usd?
Old 03-10-2006, 02:04 AM   #69
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan
Why would any sane company waste time supporting an OS that is only 1.4 percent? I know Sony can suck, but I gotta agree with them on this one.
Agreed. The investment has to be profitable. Even software teams at giants like Sony have to justify their budget.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:41 AM   #70
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Quote:
According to CNET (Nov 2005):
"Clearly, Windows continues to dominate the computing world. About 94.4 percent of all the PCs and other handheld devices shipped in 2003 run Windows, according to the latest stats published by research firm IDC. Apple Computer's Macintosh OS ranked second, with 3.2 percent of the total operating system market, while Linux placed third with 1.4 percent. Other software, such as DOS, made up the final 1 percent."

Quote:
Originally Posted by The god of Sunrise
Agreed. The investment has to be profitable. Even software teams at giants like Sony have to justify their budget.
And what pray tell me is wrong with supporting simply browser standards then? This is not to do with budgets! And you do not have to tell me that Firefox under Linux is lacking in feature support compared to Internet Explorer.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:00 AM   #71
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaapjan
And what pray tell me is wrong with supporting simply browser standards then? This is not to do with budgets! And you do not have to tell me that Firefox under Linux is lacking in feature support compared to Internet Explorer.
I was talking about the conversion software, not the Connect web site.

Does iTunes support Linux?
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:12 AM   #72
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
From a business point of view, I wouldn't want to artifically limit my market. If using an open standard instead of a proprietary one meets the needs of my customers, that's the way I should go since that will get me the largest market.

The only reason that some companies pursue proprietary formats (like Sony and iTunes) is to lock their customers into their products. To make it very expensive to move to a competitor. Simply put - to limit competition.

From a consumer point of view, proprietary is bad and competition is good. Competition ensures that I will get the most for the least money. Any company that pursues proprietary formats is telling me "we intend to provide you an inferior product for more money."
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:52 AM   #73
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Jinke has answered (way ahead of iRex...I've been waiting for almost a week for them to answer, Jinke replied in about 12 hours... )

<Here is their reply:
Thank you for your message.We'd like to answer your questions firstly.
What can you do with the Slave display?
A: The slave display is used for the interactive functions, such as keyboard, search, PDA etc.
Will your device accept Sony Connect-Store Books?
A: No
When will you start selling the V2 in China and when in Germany? Who will distribute the Hanlin V2 in Germany?
A: V2 will be sold in China in June. And the date of releasing in Germany will depend on the situation of our discussion with local agents. Now we’re discussing the business.
The picture of V8 on our Chinese website are all real.And we’ll post the “real life” picture of V8 on our English website soon, thank you for your advice.

Best Regards,
>

Customer Support in China seems to be better than in Netherlands...
Old 03-10-2006, 07:04 AM   #74
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
I was talking about the conversion software, not the Connect web site.

Does iTunes support Linux?
Alright, I reread it and it would seem I indeed misunderstood the gist of what those comments were about.

My apologies. And yes, you are right, I doubt iTunes is available for Linux. Officially anyway.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:20 AM   #75
luag
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
A: V2 will be sold in China in June.
ow...i thought they were going to release v2 in May.