Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-07-2006, 02:03 PM   #46
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
- Can it read Sony Connect Store books?
Well, would you need to read Sony Connect Store (BBeB) books? If
the HanLin supports the open source community, it'd be easy to support let's say the Microsoft .lit format, which is much more wide-spread than BBeB (Amazon carries .lit, for instance).

Quote:
- How long will it last battery-wise?
Good question.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:11 PM   #47
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
HanLin e-Book

According to Jinke's FAQ:

The MSRP for the V2 will be 349 USD, or ~294 Euros.

Battery life at least 8000 page flips. (Sony only claims 7500 as a maximum)

I don't think ANYTHING but Sony can read their format at present. Jinke does not claim their reader will read it anyway, and knowing them, they probably won't let you download from their store unless you put it straight on one of their readers or some such obnoxious thing.

Of course, none of that prevents someone from writing a hack to let the HanLin read BBeB format ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2006, 02:15 PM   #48
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seriously lack of BBeB support is not a criteria for me when buying an e-book reader. Sony has always made enemies by creating their own proprietary formats - why should I now bother to support them?
Old 03-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #49
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BBeB format? Phuw! Phut! (spitting sounds)

Oh, I don't have any desire, let alone intention of enabling Sony's paranoid DRM delusions, It just occured to me that if there were any legitimate pressure to do so, somebody will hack the thing.

I don't mind a reasonable copy protection mechanism, but nothing that's going to be more restrictive than I'd find if I buy a paper book. In fact, I wouldn't be the slightest bit upset if they decided to package the texts in SD cards with their hardware-based copy protection implemented (the same stuff that's on DVD's, as it happens), and let any reader that's willing to accomodate it read the rascals.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:24 PM   #50
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Well...Amazon is not too hot with ebooks here in germany.
I don't really like the idea of the sony Connect store either, but at the moment it seems to be the only "real" way to get a large amount of quality books (if they manage to provide what they promise).

In Germany there is no real market for ebooks...all you can do is download "free" ebooks or look for "pirated" books on p2p...with dubious quality and of course dubious legality...

I'm no fan of DRM and stuff like that, but as long as I buy the book to keep (not 60 day stuff...) it's ok.

10000+ books at launch sounds good to me and if Sony really delivers what they promise with the store I'll support it.

Restrictions on the Device side are quite something different...I don't support that at all!!!
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2006, 04:37 PM   #51
NatCh
Gizmologist

ebook sources

Ah, now I see your concern. Project Gutenberg isn't quite your only option any more. Have a look at these:

http://www.ebooks.com/

http://www.fictionwise.com/

You can also get texts directly from Baen Publishing through their Webscription service (you choose what you want to get & pay for -- they don't bug you about it), for cheap and in multiple formats. You can even get some of them before the paper release date.

I know about eReader.com, but they only sell in the format that fits their reading software at the moment. I'm sure there are other sources I don't know about, I'm still pretty new to all this myself.

Perhaps others might suggest more sources for e-texts....
Old 03-07-2006, 05:39 PM   #52
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Well...thanks for the information.
I actually knew that there were some suppliers about...but look at this:

ebooks.com only has 1 book by Terry Pratchett (there are about 30 different books to date) and it is priced at 19$.
Amazon.com has the Hardcovedr of the same book for about 15$...new...not used or anything fishy...so it is not really a good deal.
Gutenberg is ok if you want "free" content...but it's not like they carry the new Fantasy and Science Fiction books I crave...

If amazon started selling all their books as ebooks as well...that would be something...but it needs a company like Apple/Sony/Amazon to get publishers to even allow the sale of their books as e-books...royalties and stuff like that have to be discussed...but I suppose once the connect store goes online there will be more companies that offer this service...as long as Sony did not get an exclusive with the big publishers...and we all know Sony...
Old 03-08-2006, 10:50 AM   #53
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
...as long as Sony did not get an exclusive with the big publishers...and we all know Sony...
Now THERE'S a cheery thought.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:17 AM   #54
luag
Zealot
luag began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
what kind of battery Hanlin uses?
internal rechargeable battery or AAAs?
luag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:32 AM   #55
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Internal LiIon

I found this german site that gives more details on the Hanlin...download the doc file...I don't know their source...so it might not be true...if it is...then CHEERS!

http://www.ebookmedia.de/v2.html

Last edited by CommanderROR; 03-09-2006 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:44 AM   #56
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
Internal LiIon

I found this german site that gives more details on the Hanlin...download the doc file...I don't know their source...so it might not be true...if it is...then CHEERS!

http://www.ebookmedia.de/v2.html
Great find! Thank you for the link.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:00 AM   #57
luag
Zealot

damn, i personally prefer AAAs for ebook readers :/
because its easier (and cheaper) to replace.

i'll still consider Librie because of this alone hehe

edit: nevermind, it seems like v2 use a common LiOn batteries that we can change quite easily. i just downloaded the doc file. Thx for the link

Last edited by luag; 03-09-2006 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:10 AM   #58
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
Now...I'm worried that the Sony won't be available in Germany anytime soon, that it won't read -txt, .doc and similar formats
Not sure what you mean by the above. This is from the Sony site:

"The Sony Reader isn’t just about reading eBooks. Using the included CONNECT™ Reader PC Software, you can easily transfer Adobe® PDF documents, BBeB Book, and other text file formats to the Reader."

Unless you ar assuming the SW conversion to BBeB format will be hard to use. I think we need to wait for some real world user reviews before we can decide that. Assuming decent SW, the only way this would be cumbersome would be if one had to convert a whole lot of really short txt documents. For book legnth stuff, the conversion time should be a minor part of the overall experience.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:38 AM   #59
doctorow
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan
Unless you ar assuming the SW conversion to BBeB format will be hard to use. I think we need to wait for some real world user reviews before we can decide that. Assuming decent SW, the only way this would be cumbersome would be if one had to convert a whole lot of really short txt documents. For book legnth stuff, the conversion time should be a minor part of the overall experience.
That depends. Is Sony going to provide the conversion software for any available desktop OS platform? Knowing Sony, they are not so keen in supporting anything but Windows.

Let's see. When I visit their Connect Website from my Linux desktop, I get redirected to an error page saying:

Quote:
System Check
We have performed a system check and detected that you need to download and install the item highlighted in red below to use CONNECT. Please do this now and then enter the site again.
*Microsoft® Internet Explorer 5.5+
with a link to Microsoft IE 6 for Windows.

Doesn't look too good, does it?
Old 03-09-2006, 11:49 AM   #60
luag
Zealot

here's what i got:

"This service is not currently available in your area.

Please feel free to explore our Sony global sites for other exciting products and services.

If you feel you have reached this page in error, please click here to contact our Customer Service department."

so much for "see the world of sony"...