Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-07-2008, 03:18 PM   #46
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
The biggest thing that contributes to the higher cost (compared to the other devices) is the larger screen size. The iLiad's eInk screen is significantly more expensive than the smaller sized screen that most everyone else uses. The only way you're going to see an iLiad with a cost similar to the others is if they came out with a model using the smaller screen.

iRex can change the spec and drop features all they want, but as long as they keep the larger screen they're not going to be able to compete on price. They seem to be OK with that though, and think of it as a different market. Trying to compare what iRex has with the Sony or Amazon devices is a bit of apples and oranges.

If you want the larger screen, then the iLiad is basically your only choice, and you have to pay a premium for it. If you are comfortable with the smaller screen, then it makes sense to get something other than an iLiad.
I always considered the stylus the highest cost factor compared to other ereader device with cannot scribble. A comparable WACOM-only tablet costs 200€...
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #47
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Well, the new Iliad seems to be a bit unimpressive so far. They lost some features and made it a bit cheaper, gave it a different colour and that was it.
I'm not sure whether I like the color, the lacking features I can live without, so that does not worry me.
The real question is whether there a re any real benefits (apart from the price) gained in this "book edition".

I'm thinking about...Battery Life...

UPDATE:

it still says "15 hours" on the website, so I guess there are no big surprises there.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 04:58 PM   #48
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk Broad View Post
When I did the quick conversion from Euro to US dollars, I got $777.38 USD.

Did I do something wrong is or is this thing going to be even more expensive than the original?
The old edition was sold at $699 which is lower than the 649€ retail price here in Europe. So I suggest they will sell the new edition at about $500-$550.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:03 AM   #49
awi
Enthusiast
awi has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: 2x Irex Iliad V2, DR1000s & DR800sg
Ah well, the financial pain of a purchase like an Iliad is usually quickly forgotten....and then the enjoyment of a large screen and note taking remains

I use mine everyday and never think of the price I paid
awi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:15 AM   #50
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
And will the network manager work with a USB key ? Wifi or 3G (like with Orange) ? If it's the case, it's a rather nice deal compared to the normal iLiad.
Well if it doesn't (I guess there may be some drivers deliberately omitted), and the shell access is supported on this device as well, it won't be too long until some kind expert adds support for at least more or two WiFi dongles.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2008, 05:44 AM   #51
Mike Kostousov
Connoisseur
Mike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-books

Device: Zaurus C1000/iLiad/SE K750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
your V2 has not a weeks long battery life per se, it "just" suspends...if you keep flipping pages it will be runned empty within a few hours also.
Are you sure, that it can lay turned on a whole week? I may be lost something...
Mike Kostousov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:01 AM   #52
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
From iRex's Blog (comments):
Quote:
The Book Edition will be available from 9th May onward, and available in the US via our partner ereaderoutfitters.com. The RRP in the US is 599,- USD.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:56 AM   #53
Lazycat
Enthusiast
Lazycat began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad 2nd Edition
If the wi-fi function costs so much, I would definitely choose the cheaper version!
Lazycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:45 AM   #54
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
perhaps you could just plugin an USB Wlan Stick and adjust the kernel ... that would be a lot of cheaper.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #55
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
perhaps you could just plugin an USB Wlan Stick and adjust the kernel ... that would be a lot of cheaper.
I'm waiting for the Astak 9.7 inch device. It seems like it will be alot cheaper for the same features. Yes, I know it doesn't exist yet. But, I'm fine with my Sony for now.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #56
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Hmm... So far, doesn't seem like there's any reason for me to regret ordering a v1.

BE
+ battery life
+ warranty
- price
- wifi
- color

v1
+ price
+ wifi
+ color
- warranty
- battery life

*shrugs*
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #57
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Does anybody have this new iliad yet?

If so can you upload the 50 free books?

---
On the page

http://www.irextechnologies.com/50_classics

they write the books are free so it shouldn't matter.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:51 PM   #58
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

---
On the page

WOW! It comes with 50 FREE books that I could get on manybooks.net. I better go spend my $600!!!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:38 AM   #59
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:

---
On the page

Don't I get them in iDS sooner or later?
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:58 AM   #60
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcinus View Post

BE
- color

v1
+ color

*shrugs*
Colour? COLOUR?

Oh, you mean the silver case. You had me very confused there (not that that is hard....)
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iliad book edition, irex