Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-07-2008, 08:41 AM   #16
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
What I want to know is whether it uses vizplex, and more importantly is it's battery life now in the weeks range rather than the day range.
(I'm so used to not ever having to turn off my V2 and it still having almost a full charge even if i leave it lying around for a week)
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #17
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by THJahar View Post
What I want to know is whether it uses vizplex, and more importantly is it's battery life now in the weeks range rather than the day range.
(I'm so used to not ever having to turn off my V2 and it still having almost a full charge even if i leave it lying around for a week)
I'm quite sure it's running (almost) the same hardware and software with different molding, and the same screen. They likely just removed the wifi module.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #18
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvoosten View Post
Plus is the price that comes down to 499 Euro.
Still far too expensive to gain mainstream acceptance.
balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:53 AM   #19
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by THJahar View Post
your V2 has not a weeks long battery life per se, it "just" suspends...if you keep flipping pages it will be runned empty within a few hours also.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:53 AM   #20
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli View Post
It still comes with wired LAN, see:
http://www.irextechnologies.com/prod...kedition/specs
You are right.. the specs page wasn't there yet.. looks like they are updating the website as we speak
mvoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #21
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargo View Post
The new one also seems to support 8GB SD cards!
No it doesnt! It supports 8GB CF cards, which actually the conventional one does also, its just a little software bug that display 4GB free, altough 8 are useable.

When they bring up a new edition I would have also at least expected SD card compability.... I mean just leaving WIFI out isn't a glorious development achievement. 150€ cheaper is a nice marketing achievement whatsoever.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:59 AM   #22
mvoosten
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
No it doesnt! It supports 8GB CF cards, which actually the conventional one does also, its just a little software bug that display 4GB free, altough 8 are useable.

When they bring up a new edition I would have also at least expected SD card compability.... I mean just leaving WIFI out isn't a glorious development achievement. 150€ cheaper is a nice marketing achievement whatsoever.
You are right axel77.. the specs page reads at the bottom:

* MMC-cards up to 1Gb and CF-cards up to 8Gb supported
Old 05-07-2008, 09:32 AM   #23
fargo
Virtual Books Reader :)
fargo began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Kindle DX, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetechnobear View Post
so wifi card actually reduces weight
It even reduces more weight as you use it. That is because it converts matter from inside iLiad into microwave, hence the €150 difference
fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:35 AM   #24
mvoosten
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
hm.. karel is hinting at "more to come" on the irex forum.. i wonder if that includes a software update for us.
Could you post the link?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #25
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Could you post the link?
See here.

I'm sure they'll have a new software release that can detect the presence of a wifi card, and disable the software functionality if it does not exist. Likely, they'll add additional features as well.

Hopefully they'll release the multi-format plugin-enabled reader with the next software version. But that's only speculation. I also suspect they're going to want to release a kindle-esque book store on the iLiad. But we'll have to wait and see.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:00 AM   #26
axel77
Fanatic

The new software will detect the presence of the WiFi and make the device heavier if not present
Old 05-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #27
mvoosten
Zealot

Quote:
The new software will detect the presence of the WiFi and make the device heavier if not present
The havier weight comes from the LAN cable that was still attached when they put it on the scale..
Old 05-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #28
mvoosten
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
See here.

I'm sure they'll have a new software release that can detect the presence of a wifi card, and disable the software functionality if it does not exist. Likely, they'll add additional features as well.

Hopefully they'll release the multi-format plugin-enabled reader with the next software version. But that's only speculation. I also suspect they're going to want to release a kindle-esque book store on the iLiad. But we'll have to wait and see.
Interesting though that the product pictures show the wifi icon still present on the book edition
Old 05-07-2008, 10:11 AM   #29
axel77
Fanatic

Quote:
Interesting though that the product pictures show the wifi icon still present on the book edition
One has wired lan behind this icons also, not?
Old 05-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #30
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
One has wired lan behind this icons also, not?
Quote:
That's not necessary a wifi icon. It's technically "background connect". You can use it to connect to a wired or wireless network.

Tags
iliad book edition, irex