Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 09-17-2016, 07:20 PM   #1
k4955
k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, KF 2015, Nexus 2013 wi-fi, Nokia Lumia 2520, HP Stream 8
Windows RT 8.1

Hello every one I am a new user here. Besides Nexus 2013, Amazon Kindle Fire 2015 to read books, I also own Nokia Lumia 2520 which is using ARM bases Windows RT 8.1 tablet. It is a nice tablet, excellent battery life but limited to Windows store enabled Kindle software meant for ARM based devices. Using calibre in my PC I can convert to various formats but not sure if there is any other format that would enable me to read books. Of course I can use PDF format but often I like to access dictionary to quench my curiosity.
Can any of you help me in guiding the best way go?
Thank you
k4955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4955 View Post
Hello every one I am a new user here. Besides Nexus 2013, Amazon Kindle Fire 2015 to read books, I also own Nokia Lumia 2520 which is using ARM bases Windows RT 8.1 tablet. It is a nice tablet, excellent battery life but limited to Windows store enabled Kindle software meant for ARM based devices. Using calibre in my PC I can convert to various formats but not sure if there is any other format that would enable me to read books. Of course I can use PDF format but often I like to access dictionary to quench my curiosity.
Can any of you help me in guiding the best way go?
Thank you
Have you tried the MOBI format? It should work fine. Then try AZW3 and see if that version understands it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2016, 02:29 PM   #3
k4955
k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had tried Nook, Kebo and other readers, which are configured for RT 8.1 ARM touch screen, which are very different than regular windows apps. There are no built in dictionaries to those programs. Kindle is installed but no side load is permissible and the version is so different from Kindle for PCs. They use XML type but stores in multiple folders each chapter.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:55 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
You might try Book Bazaar Reader. The MS Store lists it as being compatible with Win8.0 and newer and "architecture" is marked as "neutral required" instead of the more common "x86" and they claim its been tested on some "pretty low-end ARM devices".

I'm using it on an Intel based Windows tablet, formerly Win8.1 and now Win10, and rather like the app. It supports ePub (my usual choice these days) along with MOBI (the "old" Mobi, not AZWx), FB2, PDF, and TXT. I use calibre to manage my library and simply export (read: Save to Disk) books in ePub format on an as needed basis and import the book into Book Bazaar Reader.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:26 AM   #5
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lumia 950 Phone
The Freda ebook reader also works on ARM WinRT 8.0 and 8.1 so it could be worth a try (disclaimer: I am the developer of the app). You'd need to convert your books to EPUB format, though.
Jim Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2016, 08:09 PM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Chapman View Post
The Freda ebook reader also works on ARM WinRT 8.0 and 8.1 so it could be worth a try (disclaimer: I am the developer of the app). You'd need to convert your books to EPUB format, though.
Good to know.

I had checked the Windows 10 Store before making my earlier post to see if either of the two readers that I have on my tablet (Freda & Book Bazaar) were compatible with ARM processors. When I did, I saw Freda listed as requiring x86 which left be to believe that it didn't support ARM processors. As a result, I only mentioned Book Bazaar, which clearly indicated ARM compatibility. If Freda is indeed ARM compatible it might be advisable to review the listing in the Store to note the fact.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:17 AM   #7
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
If Freda is indeed ARM compatible it might be advisable to review the listing in the Store to note the fact.
Yes, this is a limitation with the Windows Store. It is not generally good at telling you about what processor architectures are supported by an app, other than the processor in the machine you are actually using right now. If you can get to the Windows Store web site (here) you'll see a full list of the processors and devices supported, but the Store app itself does not always give the whole story.

I think that Microsoft's Store listing is getting muddled because the Windows 8.x versions of Freda use C++ code, and so the app actually needs different packages for each processor architecture - whereas Book Bazaar is just a C# application, so a single generic package works across all architectures.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:34 PM   #8
k4955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Chapman View Post
Jim
Thank you for the response. I have been using Freda in Nokia Lumia Tablet. Since I commute by train to work, while reading books prefer to have a dictionary built in instead of online. Kindle software downloads dictionary for permanent use. Do you suggest any ?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2016, 08:32 AM   #9
Jim Chapman
Addict

Quote:
to have a dictionary built in instead of online. Kindle software downloads dictionary for permanent use. Do you suggest any?
I'd recommned the PerfectDictionary app. Open Freda's 'dictionary' panel (hold on a word and select 'lookup' then pick the 'dictionary' tab). Next to the 'find' button you will see a drop-down control, which will probably show 'AonAware' at the moment; select 'PerfectDictionary' instead.
Now when you tap the 'find' button, the app will launch the PerfectDictionary app (or if you didn't download it yet, you'll see a Store search, to look for it).
Hope that helps.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:24 PM   #10
k4955

Jim
Thank you for your response. The store does not allow me to download perfect dictionary reason being does not work in my device.
Do you have any other suggestion for offline dictionary ?
Old 10-08-2016, 05:26 AM   #11
Jim Chapman
Addict

Quote:
Jim
Do you have any other suggestion for offline dictionary ?
Technically speaking, what Freda does is launch a link using a custom URI scheme, like this:
Code:
http://define:text=whatever
So any program that registers itself for that custom URI scheme will work with Freda. I believe that the following apps do this:
  • perfectdictionary
  • dict
  • define
  • silverdict
There may be others.

I hope that helps,

Jim