Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-14-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
jetbook color internal pics

Took pics of a partial teardown of the jbc, will post more pics, but here is the main juicy parts...

Is there an easier way to remove the EM shielding?

paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
oh! no other hw inside, then

Ok, I can always use the useless internal space....

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0987.JPG
Views:	1218
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	83901

... to store my microSD adapter

I'm Joking!

Last edited by mod186k1; 03-14-2012 at 06:41 AM.
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Amazing that it uses only one battery cell in the compartment!
If they had created the JBC, without all that steel, and a flexible e-ink/Oled screen, the device might have weighed half the weight, even if it had twice the battery capacity!

So far not much interesting to see, perhaps the other side of the board shows more?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
You're right, but usually a 9,7" isn't intended to be that much portable.

I did a little survey, from which results that 9,7" buyers usually read at home or at work
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
ill post the rest of the pics when I get home

the entire housing is plastic, and feels heavy/thick. once I removed every piece of the housing, it is relatively light and thinnish.

more important stuff, how do I get access to under the EM shielding to look at the chips/traces to see if there's a jtag? under side of circuit board is rather bland as well
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have the Sony PRS-505, original Jetbook, and the Astak Reader Pro.
The same order is in order of weight. The PRS505, is freaking heavy, because it uses metal in it's housing. The original Jetbook is much lighter; but the astak feels just as sturdy, made entirely out of plastic, weighs almost half the Jetbook's weight, and about 1/3rd to a quarter of the weight of the Sony PRS-505!

I think Ectaco is generally using a lot of metal within the device that is not necessary!
If they wanted to shield the hardware, they could have used foil instead of plates; it would reduce weight significantly!

The Jetbook Color, due to it's weight, is actually becoming more brittle,than if it was made entirely out of plastic. I'm quite sure it will not survive a drop/fall off a table onto a hard floor, eventhough the internals are quite sturdy, the casing and perhaps screen would break more easily
Old 03-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
So If a burglar try to break in my house I can use my JBC as a weapon
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mod186k1 View Post
So If a burglar try to break in my house I can use my JBC as a weapon
Yeap donate it to save your live
The burglar will try to sell it and he will get killed by the buyer for ripping him off when the buyer realizes how much he paid for what he got.

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 03-17-2012 at 09:16 AM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:05 AM   #9
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
Took pics of a partial teardown of the jbc, will post more pics, but here is the main juicy parts...

Is there an easier way to remove the EM shielding?

wow a building quality impressive !
go have a look at ipad3 internals here :http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-...eardown/8277/1
and understand what means engineering,
it does not mean "adhesive tape"
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:38 AM   #10
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by repods View Post
wow a building quality impressive !
go have a look at ipad3 internals here :http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-...eardown/8277/1
and understand what means engineering,
it does not mean "adhesive tape"
No, it means copious quantities of glue, and don't even think of trying to change the battery yourself.

Andrew

Posted from an iPad 1
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #11
vidmasze
vidmasze began at the beginning.

Device: none
this is in fact hanvon!

interesting, looking in the picture, it is what I thought the first minute, JBC is based on Hanvon reader that is sold solely in china

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...olor-e-reader/

for fun, maybe chineese hanvon software is not so crappy as JBCs is right now [that I still doubt]
vidmasze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
ProDigit
Karmaniac

I don't see a reason to install B&W firmware on a color device.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidmasze View Post
interesting, looking in the picture, it is what I thought the first minute, JBC is based on Hanvon reader that is sold solely in china

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...olor-e-reader/

for fun, maybe chineese hanvon software is not so crappy as JBCs is right now [that I still doubt]
How's your Chinese? The Hanvon C920 firmware apparently had a number
of it's own problems. As I understand it the JBC firmware made some real
improvements on the initial drivers and utilities as well as using their own
implementations of various software products.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #14
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I don't see a reason to install B&W firmware on a color device.
he pointed to a C920 page not an E920 page
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #15
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
The free space is for a planned 3g sim version?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote