Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-08-2019, 05:49 PM   #46
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
So which Kobo has an amber nighttime reading light?
Thanks for the pointer to Chapters/Indigo in Canada .
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #47
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
The Clara has a very nice amber light. Don't know about the others.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2019, 06:00 PM   #48
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Current models with what Kobo calls Comfortlight Pro are the Clara HD (6"), the Aura H2O v2 (6.8") and Forma (8"). It appears that Aura One (7.8") has been discontinued.

You can check a comparison on the Chapters/Indigo site at Kobo eReader Comparison.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:45 AM   #49
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoAggro View Post
Like cband7, I bought a Kobo. I got myself a Clara HD for Christmas. I've had no problems with it and I love it. And if you're in the U.S. you can buy it from Chapters/Indigo in Canada and the exchange rate is favorable. It's got some nice features and the operating system is elegant and friendly. Yup, see you in the Kobo forum.
You can order Kobos from Walmart.com now. Some stores even carry them in the store, but not many do.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:47 AM   #50
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
The Clara HD is the closest to the Glowlight 3.

I have a Kobo and several Nooks and each has its strengths and weaknesses. Neither Nook or Kobo is 'the perfect reader' (and neither is Kindle, though I have less experience with them than the other two). It all just depends on what features matter to you.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2019, 05:52 PM   #51
ArthurianLegends
Connoisseur
ArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle Touch (4rth Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The Clara HD is the closest to the Glowlight 3.

I have a Kobo and several Nooks and each has its strengths and weaknesses. Neither Nook or Kobo is 'the perfect reader' (and neither is Kindle, though I have less experience with them than the other two). It all just depends on what features matter to you.
As a kindle reader, who has just got a Nook ST (and enjoying it), I could not agree more.
ArthurianLegends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:52 PM   #52
bobgh
bobgh began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
I just received a Nook Glowlight 3. I also just got a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8 inch. I have had a kindle Fire for years. It has become slightly unreliable and requires occasional rebooting.

I have succeeded in sideloading one PDF file to my Nook. It is in my library. But I cannot create any shelves or 'stuff". The dialog is there to name a new shelf, but the 'save' button never appears. The dropdown menu for books, files, shelves, etc. is there. Books shows B&N content. There are no shelves. My Files shows my one PDF download.

My dark suspicion? At some point, B&N just disabled the ability to save new shelves without changing any other menus or documentation.

Last edited by bobgh; 01-28-2021 at 12:54 PM. Reason: correction
bobgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:05 PM   #53
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgh View Post
My dark suspicion? At some point, B&N just disabled the ability to save new shelves without changing any other menus or documentation.
I've got a Glowlight 3 now (thanks to ShopGoodwill) and I was curious to see if Shelves still worked on it. (I used to use this feature on my ST.) I don't know if PDF makes a difference, but I tested this feature with Oliver Twist book I downloaded from FeedBooks. I created a shelf called "Dickens" — then it came up with a "Manage Content for Dickens." At this point I was in "cover view" and I couldn't do anything — long press, double tap, nothing worked. But when I clicked "list view" all the books in my library had a little round circle behind them. Click that circle and it put in a check mark in the circle (in other words it was selected). Then I hit add. But the funny thing is, it wouldn't create a Shelf until I turned on WiFi. With WiFi on it worked. I tried again with a Dickens2 test shelf and this time it worked without the WiFi being on. I now have two shelves with the same book in them.

And I was able to delete the shelves without issue (though the Glowlight 3 wanted to sync after that was done as well — though it worked without syncing).

At any rate, it might be worth looking into. I'm using App Version 52.0.77/5.2.4.27. I'll see if I can try a PDF.

Also tested this on the Glowlight Plus (6", 2015) and it worked without issue. (Didn't have to sync.) Strangely enough the Glowlight Plus now has slightly higher numbered firmware — 52.0.78/5.2.4.27. Both it and the Glowlight 3 are up to date.

I should mention also... once the Shelf has been created long press works for the Shelf, but you still have to go to list view to add books.

EDIT: I was able to move a PDF file to the Glowlight Plus (2015) and create a Shelf for it. — Just realized something. For some reason, on this specific computer, Calibre doesn't recognize the Nooks, so I have to move files "by hand" with the File Manager. Is it possible that there's something in the Calibre to Nook sync that is gumming up the works?

Last edited by rcentros; 02-08-2021 at 04:32 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote