Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-04-2017, 01:53 PM   #91
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Old, non-front-lit eReaders. Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos and Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How is 24,700 more than 25,129? It's not. Your library has more ePub than Kindle.
I guess those are the currently available numbers. They change from day to day. The last time I checked the Kindle count was slightly higher than the ePub count. Now it's at 24,722 for Kindle and 25,153 for ePub.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:56 PM   #92
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Using Linux is your choice. Not trying to setup ADE is your choice. But under Windows, using ADE 2.0.1 is trivial. Setting up the plugin to remove the DRM with Calibre is trivial. You just decided to do it the hard way with Linux and give up. You are the one who is losing out.
Fully aware of all that. I don't want to set up ADE and I don't have to with the Kindles. I have no desire to run Windows or Windows applications (via Wine). I was explaining why (as a Linux user) I like Amazon's eBook market much better. Obviously this applies to me, not to most users.
Advert
Old 11-04-2017, 02:09 PM   #93
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog89 View Post
Wow you guys are stubborn. This is the second time I am pointing out that the orange light on the NG3 is variable. If you set it to auto, it adjusts according to the time of day, or you adjust it manually.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad to hear that. I'm seriously considering picking up one of these but, being cheap, I'm going to see if it's discounted for black Friday. My first eReader was a Barnes & Noble Nook Simple Touch, and I bought that on black Friday in 2011 – actually waited until Christmas to open it.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:29 PM   #94
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
FYI, getting ADE to work in Wine is a bit of a hazzle, and changes every time Wine updates. I gave up and tested "Sony Reader for PC" and it works great! Since you have a Sony you are probably already familiar with the software.
It's been a while since I've added an eBook to my Sony, but I don't recall ever installing Sony Reader for PC. In my muddled brain I think (thought?) that the Sony PRS-T2 had Adobe software built-in. Maybe I'm wrong about that? Most of the books I have on the Sony were either bought from Kobo (via the market app on the Reader), bought from Feedbooks (non-DRM, I think) or side-loaded. Usually I just used the Kobo market or downloaded directly from Feedbooks using the Sony's web browser.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #95
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
SSomebody asked about the dictionary -- yes the definitions are still grey. Never bothered me, but I can see where it is a problem. But is it my imaginiation or did the software update that came today (and is already on the NG3) change the dictionary function? Now when you long press a word, the definition comes up immediately? I thought you then had to click the dictionary icon.
That was me. I haven't used my NGP for a couple of months so when you mentioned an update I turned it on and checked and it's updating right now. Thanks for mentioning it.

I did check and you do have to hit the dictionary icon when you long press a word. It'll be good not to have to. i don't even know what the other options are although I'm sure I did at one time. I guess they didn't matter to me.

Kind of disappointed that the dictionary isn't dark text so I can read it easily.

One funny thing happened when I turned it on. It was trying to download 2 magazines that I'd never heard of. One was about housekeeping and the other was something equally uninteresting to me. I forget just what. The weird thing was that Wifi wasn't turned on. I can only assume that it got notice of those magazines some time ago.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2017, 04:26 PM   #96
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
The storage! Check out this screenshot! 8gb of storage and only .95GB available for sideloading! That's crazy. My NG+ has 4GB of storage and I have access to 2.81GB. The real test would be to hook up to a computer, but I can't do that in store. If that is not addressed, or hackable, this is a no go for me, as I sideload all my content.
Thanks for the photos, raindog.

The Glowlight (white bar of soap) had 508MB for sideloading, so B&N probably figures this is generous! I figure if I'm careful not to use huge cover images, I could cram about 1,000 books into that old Glowlight, so 950MB will probably do for me.

Still, what downloaded product is going to use all that space? Are the magazines huge?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:35 PM   #97
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Huh? I just went to my local B&N and tried it again.
Here is the screenshot. You can indeed set it to how cool (blue) or warm (orange) you want.

The only problem is that you have to click multiple times to go into the full setting controls to access this. The guick tap on the light icon only lets you turn the auto setting on or off.
Thanks. So the night light (by whatever name) *is* variable in the manual setting. We don't have to worry about this "issue" any more.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:06 AM   #98
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight 3, Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
Thanks, raindog!

All good info to know. The sideloading space is disappointing, but not a deal breaker for me. I don't worry about carrying a lot of books at a time. My files are relatively small since they're pretty much all text-based. I also have a fairly large library of previously purchased nookbooks from when my main readers were various Nooks (2009-2013). So any of those I want to re-read (or are still TBR! Who am I kidding?) can just be downloaded to the larger Nook storage.

Last edited by lkmiller; 11-05-2017 at 10:15 AM.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #99
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle PW2 and Voyage; Kobo Aura HD and One
Thanks Raindog! The limited storage for sideloaded books would be a deal breaker for me, if I was in the market for a Nook. Sure, I could fit a large number of books there, but it really irritates me how BN has segregated their storage in their last several readers. None of the other companies do this, so why should I compromise and limit myself to less than 1GB of space--when any of the other readers have at least 3GB available and the new high end Oasis and recently announced Kobo Aura One Limited Edition have 30GB+?!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:13 PM   #100
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I went and looked at one in the store today...

The "night light" color is adjustable, from blueish white to light orange. The buttons seemed nice. It does look a little clunky, but it felt alright while holding it. There were three choices for text weight. I wish there were more choices for font size and line spacing. I wish it had an inverse mode.

If my Glo HD dies, I will consider it.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:28 PM   #101
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Dup deleted
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:12 PM   #102
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
The "night light" color is adjustable, from blueish white to light orange. The buttons seemed nice. It does look a little clunky, but it felt alright while holding it. There were three choices for text weight. I wish there were more choices for font size and line spacing. I wish it had an inverse mode.
Thanks for the report. I should go down to a Barnes & Noble and check one out. I like the three choices for font weight – although the Nook Simple Touch (in my opinion) was one of the few "touch" screen devices where the fonts were actually dark enough "out of box." I realize three font weights is nothing next to the Kobo or (now) even the Kindle's (v5.8.11) five bold settings, but any additional settings choice is better than nothing.

Why did Kobo quit selling the Kobo Glo HD?
Old 11-05-2017, 08:22 PM   #103
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post

Why did Kobo quit selling the Kobo Glo HD?
I don't think anyone knows for sure, but the best guess is that they couldn't price it competitively.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:30 PM   #104
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I don't think anyone knows for sure, but the best guess is that they couldn't price it competitively.
Dropping the Glo HD was a big surprise to me and cost/price has been the only reason I could see. To me it's left a big gap in their lineup as nothing competes directly with the Paperwhite or this new Nook. It will be interesting if they put something out early next year.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:44 AM   #105
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook ST w/Glowlight, Nook Glowlight Plus, Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
...The limited storage for sideloaded books would be a deal breaker for me, if I was in the market for a Nook. Sure, I could fit a large number of books there, but it really irritates me how BN has segregated their storage in their last several readers. None of the other companies do this, so why should I compromise and limit myself to less than 1GB of space--when any of the other readers have at least 3GB available and the new high end Oasis and recently announced Kobo Aura One Limited Edition have 30GB+?!
My feelings exactly. I'll wait until hands-on reviews are out. But if they limited sideloading to 1GB, I'll skip it out of principle. Someone needs to talk to Len Riggio and tell him those antics hurt the Nook business.

Actually, I just sent an email to complain about the partitioned storage.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote