Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 06-07-2016, 11:20 AM   #61
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
I'm still wondering whether M3 will import my existing Marvin library.
Yes it will
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:43 AM   #62
atjnjk
Zealot
atjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
I'm exploring different annotations options including both scribbling on the page and audio notes.
In my opinion, a good ebook reader's first priority is to improve speed, stability and legibility. I hope M3 will open books (with large sections, lots of pictures) faster than M2. Multimedia annotation is a plus but not necessary.

What I miss in Marvin is the ability to import/export individual book with its metadata and annotations, e.g., a zip including the book file and metadata files. That would make it easier to archive in pc (I'm a Calibre fan) and/or share with others.

Thank you for this beautiful app. Patiently waiting for M3
atjnjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2016, 06:56 AM   #63
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@atjnjk Thanks for your feedback. I'll keep it in mind.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:25 PM   #64
Apocalypto
Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is pretty new news but any thoughts on this?

http://daringfireball.net/2016/06/the_new_app_store

Maybe a subscription model would work better for an app like Marvin. I know some people will hate it but I'd much rather have a supported app than a few extra dollars every year. It also seems like this would allow for a free trial, rather than a free tier and that'd be a better way for users to experience the app to see if they wanted to buy in.
Apocalypto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:35 AM   #65
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Apocalypto - I've read it, and I have to admit that I'm not sure what to think of it.

On the one hand, a recurring revenue model is very appealing and makes sense to ensure continued development and support. On the other hand, I don't know how consumers will react to it. Specifically, whether the majority will reject the idea of paying $X every month/year/whatever for an app. Ideally, I'd wait a few months to see whether the idea is catching on and decide then. However, now that I've announced M3, I'm not sure that delaying the whole thing is fair.

This is how M3 is modelled - unlike M2 which had a (severely/one book only) limited free version and a full version, there will be only one version of M3. Every single feature will be completely free to use without limitations of any kind. The only "limitation" is that there is a banner (not too obnoxious, unlike an animated Ad) that shows in a book/comic that asks you to remove it for an in-app purchase. In my mind, this arrangement makes the need for a trial version moot (because you can already do everything), simplifies development and testing considerably because there's only one version to take care of, and is much more generous than a feature-crippled free version.

I'd appreciate any feedback I can get on the matter.
Advert
Old 06-09-2016, 08:06 AM   #66
vs40
vs40 is on a distinguished road

Device: KPW 11 JB
Quote:
The only "limitation" is that there is a banner (not too obnoxious, unlike an animated Ad) that shows in a book/comic that asks you to remove it for an in-app purchase.
In book during the reading?
Better to do Ads in menu like in Amazon Kindle, or before opening book, but not directly in book while reading.

I don't remember that reader exactly, but one of Russian developer also included Ads in book while reading, and he got a lot of negative reviews because it's ruining main function of reader, and it's not acceptable even for free reader. Ads in menu or before opening the book – OK! But not while reading.

IMO of course.
I love Marvin, and I will buy Marvin 3, but you can get a lot of negative reviews because of that Ads in books.
vs40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:28 AM   #67
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I would suggest one change if possible. Still give a free period such as 14 days and if the full version is not purchased turn on the ad after the free period. This would allow someone to evaluate the full experience without limitation and annoyance from the ad while still providing the support and coding benefits you've outlined.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #68
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I'm a firm believer in paying for apps provided it is something I will run on a regular basis. Thus I prefera limited time where I can use the app without any restrictions. That way I know if I'll use the app with regularity. A good (negative) example is Calibre Companion. An excellent idea, but it turned out that I actually didn't use it as much as I thought when I bought it. It has been updated a lot since then, and is probably a very different app today than when I purchased it. However, since I was irritated with myself for spending money on something I don't use, I've never bothered to look into any of the improvements. I realize that it is a problem with me and not the developers, but perhaps it gives you some insight into the fickle mind of app consumers.
For this reason too, I never subscribe to software, be it Adobe or now Office 365. If I don't use it a specific month, but is still charged, it would really burn my a$ŝ. I do realize this isn't the most rational approach, but if I buy something I feel entitled to use as I see fit. So if I pay up front and don't use the app, it is my problem and my responsibility. With a subscription I feel the problem is shared.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:31 AM   #69
kguil
Addict

@vs40 If the banner is outside of the book, no one (figuratively speaking) would buy Marvin. I'm pretty positive about that. Marvin is not meant to be a free app. The arrangement only exists to give people a fair way of trying out the app completely before deciding whether it is for them.

@Kumabjorn Apple explicitly disallow time based trial periods. Some apps seem to have gotten away with it but it's not a risk I'm willing to take.

Also keep in mind that when an app is reviewed by Apple, they want to test the in-app purchases. So they can't be only shown, say, 14 days from installation because they wouldn't see it and reject the app.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:38 PM   #70
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Good points. You are somewhat constrained by the models Apple has in place. In general I probably prefer the direction you've chosen over a subscription model since it gives me choice as to whether I want to upgrade.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:33 PM   #71
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
... On the one hand, a recurring revenue model is very appealing and makes sense to ensure continued development and support. On the other hand, I don't know how consumers will react to it. Specifically, whether the majority will reject the idea of paying $X every month/year/whatever for an app....

I'd appreciate any feedback I can get on the matter.
I would not be happy with a subscription model and would likely cross Marvin off my list as a result.

On the other hand, I am happy to pay for an app and for upgrades. I bought Marvin 2, and will buy Marvin 3 if it has the features I'm hoping for.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:30 PM   #72
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I would not be happy with a subscription model and would likely cross Marvin off my list as a result.
On the other hand, I am happy to pay for an app and for upgrades. I bought Marvin 2, and will buy Marvin 3 if it has the features I'm hoping for.
Well said. Me too. I would not like a subscription model.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:32 PM   #73
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I agree - I dislike subscriptions. If I don't pay this month, now I can't use the software?!?!? There is one subscription program that does it slightly different...the company at Collectorz.com allows you to opt in or out of subscriptions at your choice. If you opt out, then you continue using the software version you had at the time you opt out. To get any updates, you have to be an active subscriber... Not perfect, and I don't think it's doable with the way Apple is set up, but there it is.

For me, I will just pay for Marvin when new versions come out. It's an app I (and all my family) use every day....so well worth the price.

OBTW - the banner at the bottom of the screen while reading is perfect. It doesn't interfere or distract from reading like moving ads would, but it is just annoying enough (a really minor amount) that it would gently prod all but the most adamant cheapskate into purchasing the full version just to get rid of it.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:31 PM   #74
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
@vs40

@Kumabjorn Apple explicitly disallow time based trial periods. Some apps seem to have gotten away with it but it's not a risk I'm willing to take.

Also keep in mind that when an app is reviewed by Apple, they want to test the in-app purchases. So they can't be only shown, say, 14 days from installation because they wouldn't see it and reject the app.
I did not know that, my experience is in Android. That example is probably one of the reasons it took me so long to try anything Apple. Just seems myopic to me.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:23 PM   #75
Apocalypto
Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I agree - I dislike subscriptions. If I don't pay this month, now I can't use the software?!?!? There is one subscription program that does it slightly different...the company at Collectorz.com allows you to opt in or out of subscriptions at your choice. If you opt out, then you continue using the software version you had at the time you opt out.
Paid updates would be great, but it's not a model the App Store currently supports. I can't speak for Kris but I imagine if the subscription expires it'd just go back to showing the ads.

Quote:
For me, I will just pay for Marvin when new versions come out. It's an app I (and all my family) use every day....so well worth the price.
It's not worth $5/yr for something you say you use everyday? I know we all like free things but if we want a healthy Marvin then we need to make it worth Kris's time to continue development. Prior to the 3.0 announcement people assumed it was abandoned, do we really want to go there again? Ideally Kris would earn enough he could make this a career but if there were 5,000 people who paid $5 a year that'd be only 17.5k the first year and 21.25k in subsequent years (on which Kris then has to pay taxes). And that gets divided not just by hours spent developing the app but all the support he has to do.
Apocalypto is offline   Reply With Quote