Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-06-2015, 11:41 PM   #1
Evil Overlord
Enthusiast
Evil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Question New Aura H2O or other waterproof (not Nook)?

My first (and only) e-reader has been a Nook SimpleTouch (NST), and I've been quite happy with it, with two exceptions: the buttons are erratic, and the organization is terrible (if I have 1,000 books on it, and I want one where author and title start with M, it's a heck of a lot of tapping). My wife has a Nook SimpleTouch Glowlight, and is happy with that.

Since the buttons on my NST have started to die, and the new Nook Glowlight Plus (NGP) is waterproof (bath-read!) and cheap, I ordered one.

The NGP is okay (haven't yet tested in bath), except:
1. because it has no physical buttons, I have to tap to turn the page, which makes it difficult to operate one-handed.
2. it's uncomfortable to hold (the hard metal edge)
3. the software/organization is no better.

The Aura H2O is too expensive, but I'm wondering whether there will be a new version soon-ish, or if anyone knows of another good e-reader on the horizon.

My priorities (in order, but ideally get all of them):
1. good organizational software - no endless paging, good handling of series, etc.
2. comfortable to hold
3. able to turn pages one handed
4. waterproof
5. around the $100 range.
6. front (back) light
Evil Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:31 PM   #2
uncletoma
Connoisseur
uncletoma doesn't litteruncletoma doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Tolino Vision 3HD
(German store)
uncletoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletoma View Post
Tolino Vision 3HD
(German store)
But how is the software? Also, it seems a tad expensive for what it is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:06 PM   #4
uncletoma
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But how is the software? Also, it seems a tad expensive for what it is.
Tolino alliance is the major european ereader with all... mostly German booksellers (except Amazon) and Deutch Telekom, some from Italy and Swiss, and they are taking contacts with other european partners (IMHO France can be hard, they have Bookeen).
Hardware is nice (but it's not really waterproof, it have "only" nanocoating protection against water and dust), software reads very few formats (no mobi) and, the only time i tried them (not recently) there was some microlagging.
You can find some reviews online, but mostly are in german.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:13 AM   #5
Evil Overlord
Enthusiast
Evil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Thumbs up

Thanks!

Happily, I speak German, so that's no issue. From the video, it looks great (and it does say you can drop it in the tub, which is all I'm worried about). Plus, it meets one of my other desires - a translating dictionary. (not clear what languages are available)

It's not clear how well the organizational system works, but it does have the other characteristics I'm looking for.

Anyone have an opinion as to whether it's better than a Kobo H2O? (given that the price is similar - EUR 168 including delivery to US).

* Found this English review while checking out prices:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/1...e-ink-screens/

Last edited by Evil Overlord; 12-11-2015 at 01:20 AM. Reason: English review
Evil Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2015, 09:48 AM   #6
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Looks like a nice unit.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:22 PM   #7
uncletoma
Connoisseur

Kobo Aura has biggest screen, and 0.8" is a big, big plus.
And seems having a better water proofing (after all Tolino is only water and dust resistance)
Old 12-13-2015, 12:50 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Kobo Aura has biggest screen, and 0.8" is a big, big plus.
Note that the Kobo Aura has a six inch screen. The Aura HD and H2O have 6.8.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:25 PM   #9
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
The HD has a 6"; the device is 6.9" dia, but the H20 is the only one with a 6.8".
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:04 AM   #10
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
The Aura HD (discontinued model) is 6.8", just like the Aura H2O. The Glo HD, which is Kobo's latest e-reader, is 6".
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:16 AM   #11
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's getting confusing...
The next one in line will be the glo hd H20
Old 12-15-2015, 04:49 PM   #12
uncletoma
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Note that the Kobo Aura has a six inch screen. The Aura HD and H2O have 6.8.
OP had asked about "Kobo H2O", i suppose Aura H20, but i'm pretty lazy for a complete item name
Old 12-16-2015, 03:01 AM   #13
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
OP had asked about "Kobo H2O", i suppose Aura H20, but i'm pretty lazy for a complete item name
Using correct (or at least unambiguous) device names is important. I don't want the OP (or anyone else) to read your comment, go place a mail-order for a Kobo Aura, then be disappointed that it isn't 6.8".
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:52 AM   #14
ProDigit
Karmaniac

There is only one H20 from Kobo, so couldn't miss it.
It's like talking about a Sony 505 eReader, they only made the PRS-series, so you know it's not going to be a prs-700.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:55 PM   #15
uncletoma
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Using correct (or at least unambiguous) device names is important. I don't want the OP (or anyone else) to read your comment, go place a mail-order for a Kobo Aura, then be disappointed that it isn't 6.8".
too easy: ()
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
There is only one H20 from Kobo, so couldn't miss it.
It's like talking about a Sony 505 eReader, they only made the PRS-series, so you know it's not going to be a prs-700.

Tags
aura h2o, glowlight plus, series, software, waterproof